If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvard HCM Genetics Treatment Breakthrough!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

hcma Find out more about hcma
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard HCM Genetics Treatment Breakthrough!

They have discovered the first step toward being able to treat or prevent the leading cause of sudden death in athletes and sudden heart-related death in people under 30 in the United States!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...6660825090#%21

Re: Harvard HCM Genetics Treatment Breakthrough!

Interesting research, but I think it's important to realize this won't be a cure for everybody. In this expertiment they block the mutated gene, so less of the protein it encodes for gets produced. That's great if this protein poisons the normal function of the sarcomere. That's not always the case though. In the mutation I have not enough of the right protein gets produced. My guess is that silencing the gene on the other chromsome wouldn't do very much for me.
    Some people say I don't have a heart, but my doctor says I have too much?

Comment

Nice idea.

I will take a look at the article, but one concern is that RNAi is not completely specific. Thus if your design an RNAi to target a mutant HCM allele, it is also likely to target the normal allele, thus reducing overall levels of the targeted protein. I will take a look to see if they did these controls and get back to you. Another barrier to therapy is delivery.

Comment

Checked out the paper, the levels of the normal allele (mRNA) are reduced ~10% and that for the mutant allele are reduced by ~70%. I would assay thus the effect is likely due to the reduced mutant levels, which is good. The delivery is based on Adeno-associated virus, the virus being used to deliver the RNAi. Other gene therapy approaches for use in humans have used this vector. RNAi therapies for other disorders have been approved by the FDA (see http://blogs.plos.org/thestudentblog...-21st-century/). So I think that this or gene editing are promising new approaches. Keep in mind that even if phase I clinical studies were started tomorrow, it would be likely 6-8 years before this would make it to market. However, good news for our Kids

Biotookit
        HCM dx 2009
        recent first symptoms

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X