If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you


No announcement yet.

Chef dies after eating 'superhot' chilli for bet


About the Author


Senior Member
Find out more about Cynaburst
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chef dies after eating 'superhot' chilli for bet

    An amateur chef died the day after eating a "superhot" chilli in a bet with
    his friend over who could make the hottest dish, an inquest heard.

    By Jessica Salter
    Last Updated: 2:46PM BST 29 Sep 2008

    Andrew Lee was in perfect health before he ate a chilli

    Andrew Lee, 33, suffered heart failure the morning after he ate the chilli.

    Toxicology tests are now being carried out to see if the fork lift truck
    driver suffered a fatal reaction to the dish or whether anything else
    contributed to his death.

    Mr Lee, of Edlington, Doncaster was apparently in perfect health and had
    just passed a medical at work, the opening of the Doncaster hearing was

    Cooking was one of his main interests and he went to his girlfriend Samantha
    Bailey's house to make a chilli.

    His father John Lee told the inquest: "He had a bet with Samantha's brother
    who could make the hottest chilli then went back to her house to stay."

    Mother-of-four Miss Bailey called the emergency services to her home nine
    days ago.

    Police officers were called to the house after receiving reports of a man
    suffering a cardiac arrest and Mr Lee was found lying on the floor.

    Paramedics failed to revive him and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

    A full post-mortem examination is underway and further inquiries are being
    carried out.

    Deputy Doncaster coroner Fred Curtis granted a burial order and adjourned
    the inquest for further evidence.

    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

  • #2
    Re: Chef dies after eating 'superhot' chilli for bet

    The article I read was longer and included the fact that he became very itchy and sick afterward and his girlfriend scratched his back till he fell asleep. It sounded very much like he had an allergic reaction and stopped breathing in his sleep. How odd the stories are so different. I will try to find the link.


    Today's Birthdays