If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football Player dies suddenly while playing a pick up basketball game

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

andrew1971 Find out more about andrew1971
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Player dies suddenly while playing a pick up basketball game

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

Re: Football Player dies suddenly while playing a pick up basketball game

Broncos running back Damien Nash dies
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Associated Press
    Posted: 33 minutes ago

DENVER (AP) - Broncos running back Damien Nash collapsed and died after a charity basketball game in suburban St. Louis on Saturday, less than two months after the slaying of teammate Darrent Williams.

Damien Nash played in three games for the Broncos last season. (Jack Dempsey / Associated Press)
    "We have been informed of the passing of Damien Nash," team spokesman Jim Saccomano said Saturday night. "We are attempting to get more details. ... We do know it's true."

Officials at Christian Hospital in St. Louis said the 24-year-old Nash died early Saturday evening. The cause of death wasn't immediately determined.

Nash collapsed shortly after participating in the game benefiting a foundation named for older brother Darris Nash. The foundation raises money for heart transplant research. It was established last month, after Darris Nash, 25, received a heart transplant.

Former Missouri receiver Sean Coffey was at the event with Nash at Riverview Gardens High School and told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch there was no indication anything was wrong.

"Everything was normal. ... We were playing around at the game. ... He was fine," Coffey told the newspaper. "I give my best to his family. This is crazy. I can't believe this is happening. It was the first time I had seen him in a couple of years. I can't believe he's gone. I'm so happy I got to see him one last time."

Nash was from East St. Louis, Ill., and played two years at Missouri after playing at Coffeyville Community College in Kansas.

Lee Baker, who was teammates with Nash at Coffeyville, was supposed to have dinner with Nash after the basketball game. One of Baker's friends received a call that Nash had collapsed a short time after leaving the event.

"We still don't know what happened. He looked in great shape. He had four 3-pointers. He had a big smile on his face. There was no indication," Baker told The Associated Press. "He was a great guy. It's hard to believe. I want to think I'm dreaming. I was looking at him today, and thinking how proud I was of him. I was so happy for him."

One of Baker's final memories of Nash was of him holding his infant daughter after the game.

"I feel fortunate to have met him," Baker said. "At the game, you saw the looks on people's faces and how much they appreciated him."

A fifth-round draft choice by Tennessee in 2005, Nash played in three games for the Titans. The Broncos signed him as a free agent last season and he played in three games, rushing for 66 yards on 18 carries. In his two-year career, he had 24 carries for 98 yards and seven receptions for 55 yards.

"The Denver Broncos organization is once again struck with profound sadness over the tragic loss of one of our players," team owner Pat Bowlen said in a statement. "This is a tremendous tragedy and our hearts go out to the entire Nash family."

The Broncos are still reeling from the slaying of Williams, who was shot once in the neck while leaving a New Year's Eve party in his rented stretch Hummer in downtown Denver hours after the season ended. His slaying remains unsolved.

"The Broncos family has suffered a great loss with the passing of Damien Nash," coach Mike Shanahan said from Indianapolis, where he was attending the NFL's scouting combine along with general manager Ted Sundquist. "I am stunned and deeply saddened by this tragedy, and send my deepest condolences to Damien's family."

Nash's death came two days after former NBA great Dennis Johnson collapsed and died after his developmental team's practice in Austin, Texas. Johnson was 52.

Comment

i was in boston for the whole nba star that died everyone was so sad it was in one of the local papers that said he might have had obstruction in hi s left venitcle so i sent a thing about hcm to the local paper but this stuff is so sad

Comment

AUSTIN, Texas -- Dennis Johnson, the star NBA guard who was part of three championships and teamed with Larry Bird on one of the great postseason plays, died Thursday after collapsing at the end of his developmental team's practice. He was 52.

Johnson, coach of the Austin Toros, was unconscious and in cardiac arrest when paramedics arrived at Austin Convention Center, said Warren Hassinger, spokesman for Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services.

Dennis Johnson
        Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images
        Dennis Johnson drives to the basket against the Los Angeles Lakers during a game in 1989 at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood, California.

Paramedics tried to resuscitate him for 23 minutes before he was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead, Hassinger added. Mayra Freeman, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office, said there will be an autopsy.

The Toros postponed home games Friday and Saturday nights, the NBA Development League said.

"He was one of the most underrated players in the history of the game, in my opinion, and one of the greatest Celtic acquisitions of all time," said former Boston teammate Danny Ainge, now the Celtics' executive director of basketball operations.

"D.J. was a free spirit and a fun personality who loved to laugh and play the game. We had spoken at length just the other night about basketball and his excitement about coaching the Austin Toros. "

Toros spokeswoman Perri Travillion said she was talking with Johnson on the sidewalk outside the building when he collapsed. Johnson was joking about getting a parking ticket.

"We were laughing," she said. "He just collapsed."

Travillion said she called 911 and that Johnson never regained consciousness. She said Johnson did not appear to have overexerted himself at practice and didn't complain of any discomfort before he collapsed.

Johnson, a five-time All-Star and one of the top defensive guards, was part of the last Boston dynasty. He spent 14 seasons in the league and retired after the 1989-90 season. He played on title teams with the Celtics in 1984 and 1986 and with the Seattle SuperSonics in 1979, when he was the NBA finals MVP.

"Whether he was leading his teams to NBA championships or teaching young men the meaning of professionalism, Dennis Johnson's contributions to the game went far beyond the basketball court," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "Dennis was a man of extraordinary character with a tremendous passion for the game."

Johnson was a favorite teammate of Bird's, and the two were part of one of the most memorable plays in Celtics history.

During the fifth game of the 1987 Eastern Conference finals against Detroit, Bird stole Isiah Thomas' inbounds pass under Boston's basket and fed Johnson, who drove in for the winning layup. Boston won the series in seven games but lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA finals.

"Dennis was a great player, one of the best teammates I ever had, and a wonderful person," said Bird, now president of the Indiana Pacers. "My thoughts and condolences are with his family at this difficult time."

Bill Laimbeer, the center on that Pistons team, remembered Johnson as a "great player on a great ballclub."

"He played with passion and grit," Laimbeer said. "It was fun to play games like that. You always enjoyed it. It made for not only great games, but great entertainment."

In the 1984 finals, Johnson guarded Magic Johnson effectively in the last four games. In 1985, he hit a last-second jumper against Los Angeles that won the fourth game. In 1986, he was part of a team that featured four Hall of Famers -- Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish and Bill Walton.

"He was truly one of the good guys to play in the NBA, and he was a great teammate who was fun to be around," McHale said.

Johnson had a reputation for delivering in big games.

"I hate to lose," he once said. "I accept it when it comes, but I still hate it. That's the way I am."

He averaged 14.1 points and 5.0 assists for his career. When he retired, he was the 11th player in NBA history to total 15,000 points and 5,000 assists. Johnson made one all-NBA first team and one second team. Six times he made the all-defensive first team, including five consecutive seasons (1979-83).

"As far as a person, he was a great competitor," Sonics teammate Jack Sikma said. "He wouldn't let things pass. He would cause some friction if he felt strongly about something, but with our team that was a good thing."

Johnson was born Sept. 18, 1954, in Compton, Calif. He played at Pepperdine and was drafted by Seattle in 1976. Johnson was traded to Phoenix in 1980 and Boston in 1983.

He is survived by his wife, Donna, sons Dwayne and Daniel, and a daughter, De
        5 1/2 year old Tyler w/ HCM dx. on 12/8/05 died suddenly in his sleep on 12/2/08.
        7 1/2 year old Katie w/ HCM dx. on 12/18/08, rec'd AICD, replaced on 2/19/09 w/ new lead.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with these families and their friends. Linda

Comment

First of all I feel tremendous grief for their families. But, I'm quite curious as to what Nash's little brother had a transplant for. And if we can't get NFL players to get Echo's then it almost seems impossible to get all of our younger athletes to do this.

DENVER — Damien Nash had just come home from a charity basketball game he'd organized in his brother's honor when he collapsed in front of his wife and 7-month-old girl.

The Denver Broncos running back died Saturday and the cause remained unclear Sunday, but his grieving mother knows what she must do.

After one son's death and a heart ailment that caused another son to require a transplant last year, Kim Nash is taking her daughter to a cardiologist next week.

"My son," she told The Associated Press amid sobs, "is giving me the strength right now to talk."

• Get complete sports coverage in FOXNews.com's Sports Center.

Damien Nash collapsed in his suburban St. Louis home after returning by limousine with his wife, Judy Nash, and their daughter from a game at his high school to benefit The Darris Nash Find a Heart Foundation. The organization raises money for heart transplant research.

The 24-year-old player was taken by ambulance to Christian Hospital Northeast, where he was pronounced dead. The hospital's nursing supervisor, Maria St. George, told the AP the hospital dispatched an ambulance as soon as it received the call.

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
            Advertisements
            RelatedStories
            Denver Broncos Running Back Damien Nash Dies at 24 The St. Louis County medical examiner's office said results of an autopsy scheduled for Sunday may not be known for days.

Dr. Gregory Ewald, a cardiologist, treated 25-year-old Darris Nash and said he had a weakened heart muscle condition known as dilated cardiomyopathy. The ailment can be caused by a viral infection, inflammation or other causes. Darris Nash became so ill he needed a mechanical device to support his circulation until he could get a transplant, he said.

Ewald said some cardiomyopathy conditions run in families. He said he never met Damien Nash, but "the fact that Damien was doing high-level athletics may indicate that was not the problem."

The death comes less than two months after the still unsolved slaying of Broncos teammate Darrent Williams. Damien Nash's agent, David Canter, said the Broncos were trying to contact teammates, who have scattered for the offseason. Funeral arrangements were not yet set.

Canter told the AP that Nash had four physicals since 2004 and was in good health. He said the Broncos planned their own investigation.

Canter said Nash had been ecstatic last week organizing the charity game. His client's high school coach, Darren Sunkett, said Nash had invited some NFL players from the St. Louis area and some former University of Missouri players. He was talking to a cousin when he collapsed.

The agent said dozens of family members had gathered at Nash's house for a celebration or were en route when he died. Judy Nash, he said, recalled that her husband hadn't been drinking or partying, adding that "all he cares about is his daughter and this event."

Canter said Nash's friends and family take comfort in knowing that in his last moments he was surrounded by "every single person that loves him, that he loved and that loved him back."

Sunkett, whom Nash followed from Riverview Gardens High School in suburban St. Louis to East St. Louis (Ill.) High School, added: "He was a very humble, bright kid, always funny and enthusiastic. ... You couldn't dislike him."

A fifth-round draft choice by Tennessee in 2005, Nash played in three games for the Titans. The Broncos signed him as a free agent last season. He played in three games, rushing for 66 yards on 18 carries. In his two-year career, he had 24 carries for 98 yards and seven receptions for 55 yards.

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said the Tigers were in shock over Nash's death, which happened less than two years after Missouri football player Aaron O'Neal died during summer workouts in 2005.

News of Nash's death spread quickly to Coffeyville Community College in Kansas, the school he attended before heading to Missouri.

"They don't make them no better than Damien," Coffeyville running backs coach Dickie Rolls said. "He was such a competitor."

For more stories visit FOXNews.com's Sports Center.

Comment

I read today that Damien Nash's brother had a heart transplant because he suffered from dilated cardiomyopathy. Can anyone explain the difference between hypertrophic and dilated? About all the paper said was that the heart was weak and he needed assistance before the transplant. Thanks

Kent in MN
              53yr old. History of A-Fib(been cardioverted 25+ times!!) Septal Myectomy at Mayo Clinic in 1996. ICD placed in 2000. Had tricuspid valve replaced in Jun 2007 - Feelin GREAT !!
              Goal is to have a single-digit golf handicap....

Comment

I responded to your other post.
                Daughter of Father with HCM
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

i was in boston when johnson passed away one of the local papers there was saying that it could have been this heart thing called hcm it is very rear i was so mad i ended up sending the paper some stufff on hcm and told them 1 in 500 people are affected i also called a tv ancher for channel 5 and are waiting for her call me back she investigates stuff i went to schol with her daughter so when i talk to her i am hoping she will put something on the local news in boston about hcm i have never really seen the city of boston so quiet everyone was talking about this everywhere we went i will let u all know what happens

Comment

Working...
                  X