If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42 Year old teacher died in class

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

zoehans Find out more about zoehans
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 Year old teacher died in class

Brian Hans Detlev
    August 26, 1964 - September 6, 2006
    Teacher dies in Euclid classroom

EUCLID, OHIO -- The sudden death of a teacher in the classroom has brought sadness to a school in Euclid today.
    Forty two year old Brian Detlev was teaching a 6th grade class at Central Middle School Wednesday when he suddenly collapsed.

"I felt scared and I didn't know it was going to happen," said 6th grader Jalin Steel. She was in Room 209 when Detlev, a substitute teacher fell to the floor.
    "And I thought he was going to get up and then he got out of oxygen," said Steel.

Principal, Dr. Hans Pesch says frightened students buzzed the office screaming for help. The staff rushed to the teacher's aid but there wasn't much anyone could do.

"When we got there he was still slightly breathing and there was a pulse but he was not conscious," Dr. Pesch told Channel 3 News.

The medical examiner says 42-year old Detlev died of a heart attack. As a building substitute Detlev had taught nearly every student at Central Middle School. This is incorrect. The autopsy took 8 weeks to complete. The official cause of death on the death certificate is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

"The kids just loved him, he was great with kids," said Dr. Pesch.

Grief counselors were at the school today to help students and the staff deal with the tragedy.
    Many parents are also talking to their children to help them understand the loss.

"I just tried to explain it to her the best I can, you know its just part of life. It happens," is what Heather Martin told her daughter.

John Steel, Jalin's father summed it up this way. "It's hard to find words to tell her that he went to a better place."

Detlev leaves behind a son and wife who also works for the Euclid School District. He apparently had no history of heart problems.

This article was written about my husband, Brian Detlev. There is no family history of heart problems. Both of his parents, his brother, and sister have been seen by a cardiologist and have no signs of HCM. Our son, Nicholas, age 11, has been seen by a pediatric cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic. His EKG and echo appear normal. Nick will have to be seen by a cardiologist every year and will have an echo done annually until he is 19 years old.

Brian was a beautiful healthy man. He was 6'6" tall with blond hair and blue eyes. He was very physically fit. He was a swimmer, cyclist and and boater. He did not have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. He wads not over weight. He had reconstructive shoulder surgery TWICE on the same shoulder at the Cleveland Clinic. His pre-op EKG was normal. He never had an echo performed. Brian was very active. He had three jobs. He was changing careers to become a teacher. He managed a marina and worked for the Cleveland Cavs change-over crew. Both of those jobs were physically demanding.

Brian did not exhibit any symptoms. He never complained of fatigue. He never said he was dizzy. He never passed out. He was never short of breath. He never had chest pains. The autopsy showed that he never had a heart attack. He even was an organ donor. They harvested his heart valves, tendons, bone and skin. His heart weighed approximately 675 grams and the thickness of the wall measured approximately 3.9 sonometers.

This man was my loving husband for 15 years. We never knew he had a heart problem. No one in his family died from heart related conditions.
    Last edited by zoehans; 02-20-2007, 09:22 PM.

Re: 42 Year old teacher died in class

I am so sorry to read of your husband's death. How horrible it must have been for you and the children in the class. There are no words that I can say that will offer you consolation. I know this because my son died 9 months ago of HCM--he was 36.
    I pray that you find the strength to keep on going and that one day we both can "accept" the hand that fate has dealt us.
    Unfortunately this is one more case for having defibrillators in schools.
    Best wishes to you and yours
    Linda G

PS My son's cause of death was "cardiac shock secondary to HCM."
    Son died of cardiac shock second to HCM at age 36.
    Live Well...Laugh Often...Love Much

Comment

What a tragic story. I am so saddened to hear of your husbands death. As one who has experienced the loss of a spouse, I pray almost every day for those who have lost loved ones - especially those who have lost a spouse.

May you and your son find courage and peace in those who surround you with their healing love.

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story with us and please know we are here to help you though this very difficult and confusing time. I will be in the office today and then out for about a week. Lets talk and set a plan to take care of your son.
        Best wishes,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thank you to all of you that responded.

Comment

I feel sad reading your loss. I can relate after losing my son and not knowing he had HCM. Know that you and your family will be in my prayers.
            Esther

Comment

I think there is alot of people here that has lost a loved one to this disease myself included I have lost a brother and his daughter, Please know we are here for you to answer any question or concerns

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I, too, am saddened by your loss. I will add you and your son to my prayers for this ever growing HCM family. Blessings, love and light.... Mary
                MaryO

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Diagnosed April of 2000, Septal ablation in 2002, scheduled for Myectomy at Mayo Clinic April 16, 2007, cancelled April 13, 2007 due to disappearance of obstruction and symptoms, radio frequency ablation at Mayo Clinic January 29, 2010 for AVNRT

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss, peace be with you and your family.

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

i am so sorry to hear of ur loss know he is with god and keep your head up and god bless

Comment

Working...
                    X