If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conservative writer and website publisher Andrew Breitbart

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservative writer and website publisher Andrew Breitbart

Andrew Breitbart dead at 43 of natural causes at UCLA hospital
    March 1, 2012 | 7:20 am 10691

Conservative writer and website publisher Andrew Breitbart died of natural causes at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center about midnight, sources told The Times.

The exact cause of death was unclear, said the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the case was ongoing.

It's also unclear if he was stricken at the hospital or another location. [Updated at 10:13 a.m.: Breitbart’s father-in-law, actor Orson Bean, told The Times he collapsed on the sidewalk near his home while taking a nighttime walk.]

"Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles," Breitbart.com said. "We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior. "

Breitbart, 43, a star of the tea party movement, was a Hollywood-hating, mainstream-media-loathing conservative, according to a Times profile. After spending 10 years as editor of the Drudge Report and helping to launch the Huffington Post, in 2005 he launched his news aggregation site Breitbart.com, which was designed to counter what Breitbart described as the "bully media cabal" that he says ignores stories at odds with prevailing liberal orthodoxy. His goal, he says often, is to "destroy the institutional left."

His big splash came in 2009, when he posted an undercover video in which a pair of conservative activists posing as a prostitute and her boyfriend asked employees of the community group ACORN for help with a brothel that would house underage Salvadorans. ACORN was embarrassed when some of its workers seemed too helpful; Congress responded by defunding the organization.

In 2010, Breitbart posted a 2 1/2-minute video of Shirley Sherrod, a black employee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, in which she appeared to make racially charged comments. It left viewers with the inaccurate impression Sherrod had deliberately not helped a white man save his family farm in 1986 when she worked for a Georgia nonprofit organization.

The furor from the video caused Sherrod to be fired; when it was later revealed her comments had been taken out of context, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack called Sherrod to apologize and ask whether she would return to the department.

Breitbart's conservative news websites broke the story about the sexually charged tweets by Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), a scandal that led to his resignation.

The Times' Robin Abcarian visited his office in West Los Angeles in 2010. "The command center of Andrew Breitbart's growing media empire is a suite of offices on Sawtelle Boulevard in West Los Angeles with the temporary feel of a campaign office. Only the computers seem firmly anchored."

According to that profile, Breitbart lived in Westwood with his wife, Susie, and their four young children. He was adopted by moderately conservative Jewish parents and attended two of L.A.'s most exclusive private schools — Carlthorp and Brentwood.

His father, Gerald, owned Fox and Hounds, a landmark Tudor-style Santa Monica restaurant that later became the punk rock club Madame Wong's West. His mother, Arlene, was an executive at Bank of America in Beverly Hills and downtown L.A.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Re: Conservative writer and website publisher Andrew Breitbart

This forum's purpose is to report sudden deaths that may be due to HCM. Cynthia did that by pasting in a story from the LA Times, who happens to have been a controversial figure. Debate on Breitbart's actions (or on whether the LA Times story accurately reports them) really belongs someplace else.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

The post was not limited to a story on HCM but a slanted commentary. And, you know for sure Mr. Breitbart had HCM? Also, if one is not allowed to speak freely in this forum, then why have it? I believe that, as of now, we still have freedom of speech in America.
      As an HCM patient, I now see that conservatives in this forum are unwelcome.

Enjoy your day.

Comment

Oh, no, pardon me, conservatives are "controversial" as you would say.

Comment

Juli,
          I see that you've been with the message board for awhile. As you know, there are many posts in this thread about sudden deaths and you are absolutely correct, these are nothing more than a report from a news source. And the LA Times is probably very slanted on this gentleman. I have to say, I'd never heard of him before and don't know his political or views on life. A death at this age is unusual and PERHAPS he had HCM, and then again, perhaps not. Please don't assume that we are liberal or conservative or attempting to be controversial. In this thread we just report the news, as it appears on the web, press or TV report. Someone did that with Corey Heim (or was it Feldman?) and Brittany Murphy. As you know their deaths were unusal for their age, suspicious for possible HCM and if I recollect, neither of them died from HCM. Actually, I'm surprised that no one initially posted something on Whitney. My gut on her is that she died from the abuse her body experienced based on her drug history (potential heart damage and arrythmia dropping her partially into a full tub) and not an acute overdose. But I could be way, way off. Lets see what the coroner reports are on these folks.

Please know that your comments here are most welcome.
          LindaSo
          Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
          Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
          ICD 10/08

Comment

Linda --

Gordon made a statement that Mr. Breitbart was a "controversial" figure due to his conservatives beliefs. One would infer from this that conservatives are "controversial". I am merely reporting what Gordon stated.

Furthermore, no one really knows what the coroner will be reporting on Whitney Houston or Andrew Breitbart so everything is conjecture and should not be speculated to be respectful to the families.

If a conservative is considered "controversial" in this forum, then this forum should be entitled "HCM For Liberals Only". I think Gordon is the one you should be addressing, not me.

God Bless.

Comment

Please let's dispense with the confrontational attitude. I posted the original article because a notable person died of a sudden cardiac event at a relatively young age. I did not mean to comment or to generate any commentary on his political views. This message board and organization is one where we respect each other's views and express them in a civil non-confrontational way. We do not know what caused his death, but today's paper said that he had a "heart attack."

In any event, this forum is not an appropriate place to debate politics. Any discussion should be limited to the facts surrounding Mr. Breisbart's untimely departure from this planet.

It may interest you to know that I have several friends here in Los Angeles who were personal friends of his, and I read one report yesterday on Facebook saying he was aware that he had some cardiac issues.

Please be respectful to fellow HCMA members and moderators. We are all just here trying to help each other regardless of our political views, and we are all volunteers who donate our time to help others.
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I agree with Cyn this forum is only to report sudden deaths. He may or may not have died from HCM but his political and controversial comments are meant for a different board and not on HCM. No matter who he was, he has a grieving family and we should respect that and we will not be discussing anymore about his personal beliefs.
                Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Might I add this. We all I am sure had the same thought when reading about his death. However, when posting it on here had we limited the post to just the top 6 lines that are on the post then it wouldnt spark as much debate. Such as:

Conservative writer and website publisher Andrew Breitbart died of natural causes at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center about midnight, sources told The Times.

The exact cause of death was unclear, said the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the case was ongoing.

It's also unclear if he was stricken at the hospital or another location. [Updated at 10:13 a.m.: Breitbart’s father-in-law, actor Orson Bean, told The Times he collapsed on the sidewalk near his home while taking a nighttime walk.]

"Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles," Breitbart.com said. "We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior. "

So in Juli's defense with all the rest of that on there it led her to her comment.
                  Diagnosed HCM October 2011(obstructed)
                  ICD Implanted 10/14/2011
                  First trip to Cleveland Clinic 11/16/2011
                  Septal Myectomey 12/14/2011
                  A better life started 12/15/2011

Comment

The confrontation begins with Cyn. Had she posted about Mr. Breitbart and HCM alone, that would have been fine. However, she needed to state that he was a "Controversial" writer and then went into the politics, etc. Hence, she should heed her own advice as the others regarding confrontational comments. However, I do remain interested in understanding why we are limited in our opinions in this forum -- for is it only for "Liberals with HCM?".

Love,
                    Juli (A Controversial Conservative)

Comment

Oh, one last point -- I agree -- Cyn -- please be respectful to others when posting.

God Bless,
                      Juli

Comment

Juli, I believe in this context ANYONE who had strong political views would be labeled controversial, not just a conservative political figure. And Cynthia simply posted the article as it was written up, she didn't editorialize it. That's what we do with most articles of sudden death (which may or may not eventually be shown to involve HCM). I believe you're way off-mark here, and that's from one Conservative to another.

To answer your question regarding why we're limited to opinions on politics in this forum: This isn't a forum to discuss politics. It's a forum for reporting sudden deaths. As you know, the topic of politics can become inflammatory quickly when the group members don't agree with one another's assessment of any political situation. We prefer to keep this kind of controversy off this message board. If you're interested in talking politics I would think there are plenty of forums which not only allow this type of conversation, but welcome it. We're here primarily for people who have HCM or their friends and families. And as stated before, all of us moderators volunteer our time and expertise to this board. Please respect the rules of engagement.
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I think all the issues raised have been addressed, and would urge everyone to resist the temptation to continue this discussion.

Gordon
                          Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Sorry to jump back to the side of Juli here as most of us dont have the "expertise" you moderators have. But us simple folk just happen if we see something on here we comment on it. We arent always correct. So you experts should know better than to put something on here if you do not want us simpletons commenting on it.
                            Diagnosed HCM October 2011(obstructed)
                            ICD Implanted 10/14/2011
                            First trip to Cleveland Clinic 11/16/2011
                            Septal Myectomey 12/14/2011
                            A better life started 12/15/2011

Comment

Reenie --

You are off the beaten path -- it was a slanted, politicized post and you know it. I will not be bullied in this forum by you or anyone else. However, feel free to post as you like. Finally, I have always been respectful in my posts.

I leave you all with good wishes for the future.

God Bless

Comment

Working...
                              X