If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Espn Artilce

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espn Artilce

When Anthony Bates died of a heart attack while driving home from a work out 5 years ago, mom Sharon didn't know anything about Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM). Sadly for the 20 year-old Kansas State defensive lineman and his family, death is too often the first symptom of HCM- one of many heart conditions that have taken the lives of more than a thousand young athletes since 1985, according to the Minneapolis Heart Institution.

But pending legislation in Congress may help save kids like Bates. On March 9, Representative Carolyn Mccarthy (D-N.Y>) will reintroduce the Teague Act. Named for the son of Hofstra University wrestling coach who died of cardiac arrest last year, the bill would authorize $20 million in grant money for groups like the Anthony Bates Foundation (founded by Sharon). The broad aim is to educate health care workers, raise public awareness and, most important, implement regular cardiac screenings for kids, especially at risk athletes.

Studies show that 90% of student jocks who suffer sudden cardiac death lose there lives while training or competing. And patients with HCM, the number 1 cause of sudden death in young jocks are likely to have abnormal electrocardiograms. Translation: arrhythmia screenings can prevent sudden death.

Barry Maron, who heads the HCM center at the Minneapolis Heart Institute, says the numbers-about 1 in 500 people have HCM-don't tell the extent of the problem. "There are surely kids dying that we don't know about because their stories don't make the media" he says. His center is one of growing numbers of groups joining the fight. The nonprofit HCM Association, for instance, is starting a Lance Armstrong-like campaign by selling Let the Beat Go On wristbands (4HCM.org).

But the Teague Act, which failed to pass last year amid concerns that the bill was too vague, still faces an uphill battle. "It often takes years to get something through," McCarthy says. Meantime, Sharon Bates has a message for jocks (and their parents): "Because you're young doesn't mean you cant have a heart attack. Get yourself checked out."

Myron Metlcalf
    ESPN-March 14, 2005 edition

Bryan,

Thanks for posting the article!

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Amen! This kind of publicity is great!
      Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Re: Espn Artilce

Pre-Order your Let the Beat Go On wristbands by clicking here!
        Thanks, Tim
        Forum Administrator

Comment

Ok guys

I just got a pack ok so lets go

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I got my pack.

Come on folks let's make em crazy with orders!

Leon
            God Squad co-moderator
            Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Whoot Whoot, the order is in, I can't wait !!!!!!
              Fred

Comment

I'm good to go. I can't wait until I get them. Put a rush on mine please...haha.
                Esther

Comment

bracelets

ok just ordered my 2 packs of wristbands..... it says wont be sent out til April 8th. Lets get them out!!! Thanks to all!!! I was goin crazy not finding where they were being sold-now I know yippeee!!

Comment

Working...
                  X