If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hepatitis C virus may play a role in HCM formation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

hcma Find out more about hcma
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hepatitis C virus may play a role in HCM formation

Copyright 2003 Hepatitis Weekly via NewsRx.com and NewsRx.net
    Hepatitis Weekly

November 17, 2003

SECTION: EDITOR'S CHOICE; Pg. 2

LENGTH: 440 words

HEADLINE: CARDIOLOGY: Hepatitis C virus may play a role in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy formation

BODY:

Hepatitis C virus may play a role in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy formation.

According to recent research from Japan, "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is defined as inappropriate ventricular hypertrophy without a cardiac or systemic cause. On the other hand, hepatitis C virus (HCV) causes extrahepatic manifestations as well as chronic persistent infection in hepatocytes. We studied the association of HCV infection with HCM, comparing the prevalence of HCV antibodies between HCM patients and age- and gender-matched controls with other cardiovascular diseases at a single institution, for reasons of exclusion of bias."

"We then described the clinical features and genotype analysis of HCV RNA in HCM. The diagnosis of HCM was established by echocardiographic demonstration of a hypertrophied (greater than or equal to 15 mm), nondilated left ventricle in the absence of another systemic or cardiovascular disease capable of producing the magnitude of hypertrophy observed," wrote M. Teragaki and colleagues, Osaka City University, Department of Internal Medicine.

"The study population consisted of 80 patients with HCM, in whom HCV antibody was examined (55 men and 25 women; mean age 56.6plusmn12.4 years; ranging from 19 to 80 years), compared with a total of 80 age- and gender-matched controls without HCM."

"The prevalence of HCV infection in patients with HCM (18/80) was significantly higher than in control subjects (5/80) (chi2=7.312, p=0.007). Of the 12 patients in whom the genotype of HCV was analyzed, 7 had type 1b and 5 had type 2a. The prevalence of HCV infection was higher in patients with HCM than in age- and gender-matched control subjects with other cardiovascular diseases."

"The result suggests that HCV may play an important role in these HCV-positive HCM patients," researchers concluded.

Teragaki and colleagues published their study in Heart and Vessels (Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection among patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Heart Vessels, 2003;18(4):167-170).

For additional information, contact M. Teragaki, Osaka City University, Department Internal Medicine, Division Cardiology, Osaka 558, Japan.

Publisher contact information for the journal Heart and Vessels is: Springer-Verlag, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010, USA.

The information in this article comes under the major subject areas of Cardiology, Heart Disease, Hepatitis C Virus, Hepatology, and Virology.

This article was prepared by Hepatitis Weekly editors from staff and other reports.

http://www.NewsRx.net

LOAD-DATE: November 14, 2003

Re: Hepatitis C virus may play a role in HCM formation

That's an interesting article, although I have to wonder if Hepatitis C has actually played a role in the development of HCM, or if the prevalence of Hepatitis C is simply higher in HCM patients due to immune system or other factors.
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I do not give this article much weight. I would not spend much time on this.
      While research is VERY important I have found some parts of the world will research ANYTHING and try to link them together. SUch is the case here.

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Well, interestingly enough, I was rejected from giving blood by the Red Cross because they detected the exposure to Hep C. I believe it took place on a trip to China in 1984. My HCM was diagnosed about the same time....make your own interpretations.
        Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Comment

I know several people who have Hep. C and do not have HCM.

Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I know lots of people that have Hep and not HCM...I don't think that was the thrust of the study...more likely it is to look at how many folks with HCM have been exposed to Hep C. Something triggers the cell growth and it seems to differ in each of us.
            Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X