If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

God Bless Sarah Chaffins

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Bless Sarah Chaffins

Girl dies after being stricken at teen camp
    Camper had history of heart trouble
    By SEAN F. DRISCOLL
    [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An 18-year-old Geneva woman with a recent history of heart trouble died Thursday afternoon after collapsing at a church camp in Fairmount.

Sarah J. Chaffins, 4451 E. 1000S, Geneva, died at 1:24 p.m. Thursday in Marion General Hospital. She was attending the Indiana North Senior Teen Camp at the Wesleyan Campgrounds in Fairmount. She collapsed at about 11:30 a.m. while in a small group, conversational setting with other campers.

Grant County Deputy Coroner Kevin Evans said the cause of death was hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a condition in which the electrical impulses to heart muscles are abnormal, thus disrupting the heartbeat.

Evans said Chaffins had been aware of the condition before attending camp.

"A couple of weeks ago, she did see a family physician about heart problems," he said.

Camp director Pastor Rick Fletcher said professional counselors were brought to the campgrounds to help the campers deal with their emotions.

But the camp, described by Fletcher as a week-long experience for teenagers to have fellowship, build relationships and learn about Christ, continued to be in session Friday, and will conclude this morning.

"Kids were emotional about the situation because it was their friend," Fletcher said. "But the camp has a spiritual emphasis. When you put it in the context that we're convinced of where she's at, we know the Lord has just taken her."

Originally published Saturday, July 12, 2003
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: God Bless Sarah Chaffins

To our readers,
    Sarahs family has been visiting the message board and is going through the process of learning about HCM. I thought it would be nice to bring your attention to this posting again and ask you to welcome her family into our "family".
    Sarahs family is going through a very difficult time and I am sure your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.

Thank you all,

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Currently not obstructed

Comment

To Sarah's family:

First of all I would like to send my deepest sympathies on Sarah's passing. Welcome to the HCMA. You are among others who understand the trials of HCM. Whenever you feel comfortable, we would love to hear more about Sarah.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

To Sarah's Family, We pray for strength, healing, and a sense of peace for you all as you move forward through the days ahead. We are here for you. Linda

Comment

After a nice talk with Sarah's father I learned a great deal more about Sarah... the student, friend and daughter. She was a sweet girl who was happy to be around her friends in a prayer group when it was her time to go...that is what I took away from my talk with her dad.
          My heart breaks with the knowledge that Sarah was taken so young and so fast.
          The article above may appear that Sarah knew her condition prior to her death... this was not the case. I will not explain details of the situation as I feel it is for her family to share that if they wish. I simply wanted readers to understand this young lady and her family did not have the knowledge of her diagnosis and therefore had no chance to take action to protect Sarah from the events of July 10.

To Sarahs friends and family please know we are here for you today, tomorrow and whenever you need us. I know we have one more angel with us all, Sarah will forever be a part of the HCMA.

Sincerely,
          Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Dear Sarah's Family,
            My prayers are with you through this difficult time. My heart aches for you as I ask God to bring you peace and comfort. I too have lost my child and would love to offer my support and encouragement as well as my prayers. Please know that your angel is now with my angel, Anthony, in heaven and they well always be close to you and yours during your journey without them in the physical world.

May God Bless, Sarah Chaffins and all the Chaffins' family and friends!

Love and Light,
            Sharon Bates

www.AnthonyBates.org

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X