If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart condition "need not preclude pregnancy"

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Re: Heart condition "need not preclude pregnancy"

Matt,
    SENDING YOU A HUG!!!
    Your such a sweet heart...how could she!

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• mjesaitis
    replied

My HCM didn't get worse after I had my kids, but it did after I got my divorce (she broke my heart)

Matt

Leave a comment:

• karen
    replied

My health was pretty good until about 3 years ago. That is when I started getting lightheaded more, and the sob began to get worse again, chest pains came back, and I get these weird episodes where I feel that I am going to pass out but I don't. But motherhood has been good. My husband and daughter have been very supportive, and when I have bad days they understand. But my pregnancy was very good. And even after, my health remained as good as could be expected. I never did get rid of the sob even after surgery and it was no worse with the pregnancy. My blood pressure remained the same, which was surprising to the doctors and I had very little swelling during the pregnancy.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

I think we have all had the pleasure of "meeting" your Sarah, whe seems like a wonderful young lady!

How has your health been post motherhood? Have you noticed any significant changes? I think that is what the other Sarah is attempting to figure out.

Any input is helpful.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• karen
    replied

Hey, I am one of those HCM'ers who had a child. I had my surgery in Dec. 1987. I stayed on Isoptin till 5 years ago. I got pregnant and delivered a healty baby Giril namded Sarah on Sept. 2, 1990. Because of the disease, and how little is known of here in Nova Scotia, I was put in the hospital for 4 months prior to having her. They were orginally going to deliver her at 28 weeks, then at 32 weeks, but I did so well that they allowed me to go home and then come back. I did deliver 2 weeks early, by natural delivery, with epidermals of course. The wonders of drugs, lol. My blood pressure stayed normal and symptoms did not get any worse during my pregnancy and it was well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied

L

I was thinking of female HCMers who had kids vs. HCMers who did not have kids --which is apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

They track myectomy vs. no-myectomy, right? Why not kids/no kids?

I am glad most women don't get worse, but if we tracked it, maybe we would learn something so the women who would probably get worse could have a heads up. Just wishing...

S

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

Sarah, I do not think it is possible to look at non-HCM'ers vs. HCM'er post pregnancy and figure out who did "better".
    A few things to concider
    1. When we get older our health changes - - no matter what diesease we may or may not have.
    2. We all tolorate things differently (with or without HCM)
    3. Most women with HCM are diagnosed post pregnancy (most people by my stats are diagnosed after the age of 27)...but most men are diagnosed at the same time...I ditto the comment above...the men did not have kids

Personal experience:
    I had my daughter 8 yrs ago - I felt GREAT pregnant!! The delivery was a little tricky but was ok. Since her birth I feel as if my HCM is still on the same track as it was pre-pregnancy - - this meaning I was slowly feeling more symptoms as I go older and I continue to have changes in my symptoms.
    My sister had 2 kids, she also had more symptoms as she got older - but I can not relate her symptom progression in anyway to the birth of the kids. Her kids were 10 and 13 when she died.

I know many people via the HCMA with sucessful pregnancies and I know a few who encountered additional problems post pregnancy. Why??? I do not know??? I wish I did.

In the end the overwhelming majority of those with HCM do well with pregnancy and have no additional problems post pregnancy. Yet some people will not tolorate pregnancy due to there specific situations.

Best wishes,
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied

Dear Cyn,

I know two women with HCM who had kids. One said that it ruined her health and the other says that it didn't, but she is now partically incapacitated from HCM complications, so I'm not buying it.

Obviously, HCM is so individualized it is not fair to make judgements based on small samples, which is why I hope that someone decides to track how women do for real.

take care,

S

Leave a comment:

• Cynaburst
    replied

This is just my own experience....I don't know what the answer is Sarah, but I had relatively mild HCM symptoms before pregnancy....I wasn't even on meds before or during pregnancy. However, since my pregnancy which was now almost 2 years ago, my HCM symptoms have gotten worse, my gradient has quadrupled, my arrythmias have gotten worse, and I have had pre-syncope episodes that I never had before the pregnancy. I myself wonder if the pregnancy made the HCM progress in some way, but I guess the jury is still out. My doc says that my symptom progression is also following the same trend as my dad's...i.e. he first noticed symptoms in his 30s, and he never gave birth to a baby. At least, not one that I know of!!

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied

Cool. That is great news. However, has anyone talked to HCM women about their health after having the baby? Do HCM women who've had kids fare better or worse than those who don't? Anyone gathering stats on that? I think that would be good to know, too.

S

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    started a topic Heart condition "need not preclude pregnancy"

Heart condition "need not preclude pregnancy"

HEADLINE: HEADLINE: Heart condition "need not preclude pregnancy"

SOURCE: Nursing Times Online 04/07/03

BYLINE: Health Newswire reporters

BODY:

Study results published in Heart show that most women with hypertrophic
    cardiomyopathy tolerate pregnancy well, with symptoms worsening in less than 10
    per cent. The researchers point out that while most of the women in their study
    sample had no significant cardiac problems during their pregnancies, rare
    complications do occur, and that planned deliveries and foetal monitoring are
    still sometimes necessary. They also warn that their study did not include
    patients with previous heart failure or severe restrictive physiology " and we
    would not recommend pregnancy in these patients".Heart condition "need not preclude pregnancy"
Working...
X