If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACC updates

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACC updates

One day down two to go...
    Yesterday there were several posters presented on HCM to quickly highlight those of most importance to the daily lives of those with HCM I would have to say 2 posters were most important:
    The poster by M.Maron regarding the effects of gradients of more then 30mm drew a great deal of attention (info in this can be found on a seperate thread on this boardhttp://www.4hcm.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1436 ). This brought up a great deal of discussion from several prominant surgeons in HCM - I suspect you will soon see a paper on the long term outcomes of pts post myectomy with an attempt to link improved survival rates to long term outcome. Many people are looking at this within the Ablation community... I look forward to a balancing of data to help pts and care providers have the most up to date data to make a treatment choice.
    Second was a poster by M. Ackerman (Mayo) re genetics: Prevalence and spectrum of a particular group of mutations... this data show that genetic information is not leading us to a clear picture of what we can expect from that form of the disease. Those with "bad" genes have good outcomes..and those with "good" genes can have bad outcomes...in other words it was clear that much more work is needed to find out the true meaning to genetic infromation in HCM.
    There were some other interesting posters but I suspect the 2 I have mentioned will have the greatest impact on future research and treatment in there respective areas of the disease.
    More later from Chicago!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

glossary

Hi,

"Poster" is conference-ese for "short presentation" (as opposed to a full-fledged "session" that is a bigger, long presentation.

Today is "HCM Day" (all of the HCM sessions are today). So I'm sure Lisa will be inundated with data.

later,

S

ps all of us have sore feet!

Comment

I don't see the info about the poster on a different thread. Where do I look? thanks, Kathy

Comment

Lisa,

Where would i find the notes presented by Dr. Maron on the effects of gradients over 30mm? I would love to review this if it is available.

Thanks!

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

not here

Hi,

Lisa is referring to presentations that have happened at the American College of Cardiology conference --not "posts" here.

S

Comment

Sarah, Lisa wrote this in the first paragraph or post on this page:

>>The poster by M.Maron regarding the effects of gradients of more then 30mm drew a great deal of attention (info in this can be found on a seperate thread on this board). >>

So we are looking for the separate thread on this for more info. I haven't seen it anywhere. Kathy

Comment

I think Lisa is referring to an old thread about the article that M. Maron published on this subject a month or two ago. I think it is in this section of the board, and it was an article about obstruction.
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Cyn, I think I know what you are talking about. thanks. How is your baby? Kathy

Comment

no no no

Hi guys!

I am not wrong. Sorry, but true. Lisa is NOT referring to a "post" Dr. MM made to the board. She is talking about a presentation given at the American College of Cardiology Conference this weekend. These short presentations are called "posters" because they literally put up a giant poster and people gather around and the doctor with the poster talks about it.

You will not find this info on the message board.

Sorry my first explanation wasn't clear.

S

Comment

Sarah,

We realize that Dr. Maron did not "post" to this board, but Lisa's first post to this thread indicates that more details about Dr. Maron's presentation to the ACC can be found "on a seperate thread on this Board." Please reread her first post, especially the part in brackets.

Thank you for clarifying the term "posters"

Bob
                    Cleveland Myectomy Crew
                    Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Re: ACC updates

Originally posted by Lisa Salberg
                      The poster by M.Maron regarding the effects of gradients of more then 30mm drew a great deal of attention (info in this can be found on a seperate thread on this board). This brought up a great deal of discussion from several prominant surgeons in HCM - I suspect you will soon see a paper on the long term outcomes of pts post myectomy with an attempt to link improved survival rates to long term outcome. Many people are looking at this within the Ablation community... I look forward to a balancing of data to help pts and care providers have the most up to date data to make a treatment choice.
                      Dr. Maron's information that Lisa refers to above can be found on this message board HERE: Effect of Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction on Clinical Outcome in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
                      Thanks, Tim
                      Forum Administrator

Comment

phooey

this is what I get for posting when I'm half asleep.

thanks.

S

Comment

and that post that Tim mentions is the one that Cynaburst referred me to. I understood! Thanks for clearing it up again. Now I am sure we all understand. Kathy

Comment

Thanks for the link to the article, although now i kinda wish i hadn't read it. I'm 40 years old, my gradient at rest is 100mm, the meds are kicking my butt, and this probably wasn't the best time for me to read the darn thing
                            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yes, it is discouraging. It makes me nervous also. And the sad thing is, we don't even know that if we have surgery or ablation whether it prolongs your life or not. You would think they would have included that in their studies. After reading it, I am seriously considering alcohol ablation to hope it extends my life.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X