If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking Life Seriously

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Heartmans Wife Find out more about Heartmans Wife
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Life Seriously

As I was reading some of the posts on time to laugh, I was reminded of a conversation a few years back with my mother-in-law. We were sitting around her kitchen table one evening after Alan had fallen and crushed his leg and we had found out that there "may be something wrong with his heart" (HCM not having been diagnosed as yet). We were discussing the weekend and I said that we were going to a picnic one day and then out to dinner and a movie with friends te next evening. My Mother-in-law looked at us and said "You're not taking any of this seriously enough." My comment to her was that yes, we could sit at home everynight and cry, or we could keep going out and having fun with our friends and laughing. I prefer being with people and having fun. We let the subject drop until years later when she happened to be in the hospital room when we met a new cardiololgist and I began reciting medical history and she stood there shocked that I knew alot more than she thought. I guess she found out that you can be serious and have fun at the same time!!

Re: Taking Life Seriously

amen!
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Ange, I knew I like you!

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing that. I hope that you will have many many years more to celebrate together!

As of yesterday we have had 32 wonderful years.

Rhoda

Comment

Thanks all Congrats on 32 years, Rhoda. Alan and I will have 10 wonderful years in November!!

Ange

Comment

Hey guys,
            We’re in our 47th year. But then of course we started much earlier then you did. However long it has been, and whenever your anniversary is, have a wonderful life together. I would never have made it without my other half, and wish you all as good a life as we have had so far – much joy, and just a touch of leavening.
            Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X