If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Glen Beamish Find out more about Glen Beamish
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test

Post Your score, I got 17 out of 20.
    History Exam
    >> Everyone over 40 should have a pretty easy time at this exam.
    >> If you are under 40 you can claim a handicap.i
    >>
    >> This is a History Exam for those who don't mind seeing how
    >>much they really remember about what went on in their life.
    >> Get paper and pencil and number from 1 to 20.
    >> Write the letter of each answer and score at the end.
    >> Then, best of all, before you pass this test on, put your
    >>score in the subject line!
    >>
    >> 1. In the 1940s, where were automobile headlight dimmer
    >>switches located?
    >> a On the floor shift knob
    >> b. On the floor board, to the left of the clutch
    >> c. Next to the horn
    >>
    >> 2. The bottle top of a Royal Crown Cola bottle had holes in
    >>it. For what was it used?
    >> a. Capture lightning bugs
    >> b. To sprinkle clothes before ironing
    >> c. Large salt shaker
    >>
    >> 3. Why was having milk delivered a problem in northern
    >>winters?
    >> a. Cows got cold and wouldn't produce milk
    >> b. Ice on highways forced delivery by dog sled
    >> c. Milkmen left deliveries outside of front doors and milk
    >>would freeze, expanding and pushing up the cardboard bottle top.
    >>
    >> 4. What was the popular chewing gum named for a game of
    >>chance?
    >> a Blackjack
    >> b. Gin
    >> c. Craps!
    >>
    >> 5. What method did women use to look as if they were wearing
    >>stockings when none were available due to rationing during W.WII?
    >> a. Suntan
    >> b. Leg painting
    >> c. Wearing slacks
    >>
    >> 6. What postwar car turned automotive design on its ear when
    >>you couldn't tell whether it was coming or going?
    >> a. Studebaker
    >> b. Nash Metro
    >> c. Tucker
    >>
    >> 7. Which was a popular candy when ! you were a kid?
    >> a. Strips of dried peanut butter
    >> b. Chocolate licorice bars
    >> c. Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
    >>
    >> 8. How was Butch wax used?
    >> a. To stiffen a flat-top haircut so it stood up
    >> b. To make floors shiny and prevent scuffing
    >> c. On the wheels of roller skates to prevent rust
    >>
    >> 9. Before inline skates, how did you keep your roller skates
    >>attached to your shoes?
    >> a. With clamps, tightened by a skate key
    >> b. Woven straps that crossed the foot
    >> c. Long pieces of twine
    >>
    >> 10. As a kid, what was considered the best way to reach a
    >>decision?
    >> a. Consider all the facts
    >> b. Ask Mom
    >> c. Eeny-meeny-miney-mo
    >>
    >> 11. What was the most dreaded disease in the 1940's?
    >> a. Smallpox
    >> b. AIDS
    >> c. Polio
    >>
    >> 12. "I'll be down to get you in a ________, Honey"
    >> a. SUV
    >> b. Taxi
    >> c. Streetcar
    >>
    >> 13. What was the name of Caroline Kennedy's pet pony?
    >> a. Old Blue
    >> b. Paint
    >> c. Macaroni
    >>
    >> 14. What was a Duck-and-Cover Drill?
    >> a. Part of the game of hide and seek
    >> b. What you did when your Mom called you in to do chores
    >> c. Hiding under your desk, and covering your head with your
    >>arms in an A-bomb drill.
    >>
    >> 15. What was the name of the Indian Princess on the Howdy
    >>Doody show?
    >> a. Princess Summerfallwinterspring
    >> b. Princess Sacajewea
    >> c. Princess Moonshadow
    >>
    >> 16. What did all the really savvy students do when
    >>mimeographed tests were handed out in school?
    >> a. Immediately sniffed the purple ink, as this was believed to
    >>get you high
    >> b. Made paper airplanes to see who could sail theirs out the
    >>window
    >> c. Wrote another pupil's name on the top, to avoid their
    >>failure
    >>
    >> 17. Why did your Mom shop in stores that gave Green Stamps
    >>with purchases?
    >> a To keep you out of mischief by licking the backs, which
    >>tasted like bubble gum
    >> b. They could be put in special books and redeemed for various
    >>household items
    >> c. They were given to the kids to be us! ed as stick-on
    >>tattoos
    >>
    >> 18. Praise the Lord, and pass the _________?
    >> a. Meatballs
    >> b. Dames
    >> c. Ammunition
    >>
    >> 19. What was the name of the singing group that made the song
    >>"Cabdriver" a hit?
    >> a. The Ink Spots
    >> b. The Supremes
    >> c. The Esquires
    >>
    >> 20. Who left his heart in San Francisco?
    >> a. Tony Bennett
    >> b. Xavier Cugat
    >> c. George Gershwin
    >>
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> ANSWERS
    >>
    >> 1. b) On the floor, to the left of the clutch. Hand controls,
    >>popular in Europe, took till the late '60s to catch on.
    >>
    >> 2. b) To sprinkle clothes before ironing Who had a steam iron?
    >>
    >> 3. c) Cold weather caused the milk to freeze and expand,
    >>popping the bottle top.
    >>
    >> 4. a) Blackjack Gum.
    >>
    >> 5. b) Special makeup was applied, followed by drawing a seam
    >>down the back of the leg with eyebrow pencil.
    >>
    >> 6. a) 1946 Studebaker.
    >>
    >> 7 c) Wax coke bottles containing super-sweet colored water.
    >> 8. a) Wax for your flat top (butch) haircut.
    >>
    >> 9. a) With clamps, tightened by a skate key, which you wore on
    >>a shoestring around your neck.
    >>
    >> 10. c) Eeny-meeny-miney-mo.
    >>
    >> 11. c) Polio. In beginning of August, swimming pools were
    >>closed, movies and other public gathering places were closed to try
    >>to prevent spread of the disease.
    >>
    >> 12.. b) Taxi. Better be ready by half-past eight!
    >>
    >> 13. c) Macaroni.
    >>
    >> 14. c) Hiding under your desk, and covering your head with
    >>your arms in an A-bomb drill.
    >>
    >> 15. a) Princess Summerfallwinterspring. She was another
    >>puppet.
    >>
    >> 16. a) Immediately sniffed the purple ink to get a high.
    >>
    >> 17. b) Put in a special stamp book, they could be traded for
    >>household items at the Green Stamp store.
    >>
    >> 18. c) Ammunition, and we'll all be free.
    >>
    >> 19. a) The widely famous 50's group: The Inkspots.
    >>
    >> 20. a) Tony Bennett, and he sounds just as good today..
    >>
    >>----------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> SCORING
    >>
    >> 17- 20 correct: You are older than dirt, and obviously gifted
    >>with mental abilities. Now if you could only find your glasses.
    >>Definitely someone who should share their wisdom!
    >>
    >> 12 -16 correct: Not quite dirt yet, but your mind is getting
    >>keen.
    >>
    >> 0 -11 correct: You are not old enough to share the wisdom of
    >>your experiences.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Re: Test

I got 17 out of 20. Older than dirt eh? Where's my glasses when I need them.

Comment

Ed and I are both older than dirt, but we did not need this test to prove it to us.

Rhoda

Comment

Hey I got 13 right and I'm 23! If I'm near Dirt what is Burt? I love you Grandpa!

Your innocent granddaughter,

Mary

Comment

OK, OK,
          I have to admit I got all twenty right – although some of the questions were on things after my time. I remember Howdy Doody from seeing it while watching my niece – after I got out of the army.

Oh boy – older then dirt just doesn’t cover it, at least until it’s shoveled in your face.

Anybody remember those long strips of paper with sugar candy dots on them – in groups of different colors, or those little tin bowls of congealed candy that you ate with the little metal spoon that came with it, that often cut your tongue? Anybody know what a two cents plain is? Do you know how to pitch pennies? Ever hear of “Johnny on a Pony – 1, 2, 3”?

Older then dirt ay? Well, we used to have to stand on the rocks if that’s what you mean.
          Burt

Comment

I scored 17 out of 20. What are Johnny on a pony 123 and 2 cents plain?

Comment

Funny you should ask. Actually, you seem to be the only one with enough fortitude to ask.

I must admit Johnny on the pony 1, 2, 3 has become a little dim over the years. It started with a handball game of some kind against a wall – I think it also may have been called Potsy. Anyway, however the game was played; the looser became ‘Johnny’. He bent over at the waist and braced himself against the wall. The other players, one by one would run up and jump on his back like riders, calling out ‘Johnny on a pony, 1, 2, 3’. Then I believe it went something like this; If ‘Johnny’ could sustain the other three players on his back at one time, they then played another game, however, if he collapsed under the weight he got whacked on his behind by each of the other players.

A two cents plain goes back to the days of the local drug or candy store (before malt shops) that had a soda fountain. If you ordered a flavored drink (soda water with a squirt of flavoring) it cost a nickel, but if you got a glass of just the soda water it was called a two cents plain. (Obviously the cost was two cents.) There was a standing joke about a man who came into the store and asked for a two cents plain, paid his two pennies, took one sip and then asked the soda jerk to ‘sweeten it up a bit’ thereby trying to get a nickel soda for two cents. The jerk always asked for an additional three cents for the flavoring. - - Do they still call them soda jerks? I haven’t heard that term in ages.

While I’m at it let me tell you the story of Egg Creams – which contained neither eggs nor cream. An entrepreneur in Brooklyn, New York zipped up a plain chocolate soda by adding a splash of milk to it. It was quite tasty and drew in the customers in droves. To protect his idea from copy cats, he began mixing the chocolate syrup and the milk in the back room, bringing only the finished mixture to the fountain. To further throw copy cats off the trail, he called the drink an Egg Cream. Things actually progressed to the point where he was selling five gallon bottles of his Egg Cream mixture to other soda fountains throughout New York, but it soon became common knowledge what the mixture contained, and soda fountains throughout the area began selling egg creams mixing milk into a plain chocolate soda themselves. To be precise, you add a squirt of chocolate syrup and an equal amount of milk into a glass, and stir it up. You then add seltzer (carbonated water, also known as Club Soda) and stir it up again. It will have a head like an ice cream soda – but there’s no ice cream. Try it sometime – I bet you’ll like it.
              Burt

Comment

I got 13 out of 20. I sometimes feel old as dirt. I did not know a few of the answers because I have spent all my life in Alaska. We did not get all the things that the lower 48 states got. We had a hard enough time getting things up here that were fresh. I am 43 and should have gotten more right.

Burt, thanks for the history lesson. I love to learn something new each day.
                Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Hi Donna,
                  You say you like to learn something new each day, but this time you learned something old.

I’m really glad you enjoy my stories. I really enjoy these trips down memory lane myself. Maybe I’m just getting senile and retuning to my second childhood, but although times were hard – what with the depression and all – we did have some marvelous times.

I used to hate history, learning this happened on this day, and that happened on that day, and you had to memorize the dates. Then one day I got a ‘teacher’ rather then a keeper. We discussed the underlying forces which were at play causing many things to happen in the sequence and at the time they did. We faced the same set of circumstances, and had to think what we would do. Instead of tedious and boring history became a living thing – and I was hooked.

Of course things that happen in your own life are hardly ever looked at as history. We think of them as, ‘The Good Old Days.” We remember the enjoyments and forget the hardships of the times. I’ll give you an example.

In Korea one day we were pulled back to Camp Casey, a reserve position. We we’re living in tents, blistering hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. One day word came down that we had to ‘beautify the area.’ The ground was rock hard, but the people in the next tent to ours got a brilliant idea. They scrounged some white paint and a couple of buckets of Army Olive Drab paint. They then got a bunch of rocks and painted them white, outlining a ‘lawn’ and a curved path to the tent ‘door’. Taking the olive drab paint they then painted in the lawn on the ground. On one side they made a little sign, “Keep Off The Grass” and hammered it into the ground. We laughed and gawked at that for months. Our CO (who was a great guy) even brought the officers down from Div. Command to see the result, and the men in that tent got an extra week-end pass as a bonus.

Take care, and keep storing up those fond memories of your own past.
                  Burt

Comment

I got 13 out of 20. That's proof!! I am getting old, my memory has all but gone. Woe is me
                    Esther

Comment

I got 18 out of 20. Being 41 I prefer to think that rather than "older-than-dirt", that I am blessed with mental capabilities (HA HA HA). I do take exception with #9, though. My little roller skates when I was about 6 had leather straps across my feet!! I remember asking my mother what a skate key was. I have to admit, though, with getting 18 right, I may be old but I can still guess right!! Keep Laughing!!

Ange

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X