If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Words of the Past

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

DeemoKD Find out more about DeemoKD
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words of the Past

Thought someone might get a kick out of this....

Subject: words of the past

Well, one of those little articles so frequently seen sent me off on a
    reverie almost immediately. It was about Big Jim Tidwell of Whitney - "The
    Fender Skirt King of Texas."

And I thought, "Fender skirts!" What a great blast from the past! I hadn't
    thought about fender skirts in years.

When I was a kid, I considered it such a funny term. Made me think
    of a car in a dress.

Thinking about fender skirts started me thinking about other words that
    quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars,
    my mind naturally went that direction first.

You 'new' kids will probably have to find some elderly person (at least
    40!) to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extender! s and spare
    tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
    But never worked, in my estimation.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking
    brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that
    went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call
    the accelerator the "foot feed."

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore
    "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these
    days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a
    store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now
    means almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted.

This floors me On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term
    in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered thei! r hardwood floors with,
    wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, e veryone replaces their wall-to-wall
    carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?"
    It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little
    to graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had
    all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply
    "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other
    day and my daughter cackled. I guess it's just "bra" now.
    "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

It's hard to recall that this word was once said in a whisper - "divorce."
    And no one is called a "divorcee" anymore. Certainly not a "gay divorcee."

Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long
    gone, too. Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s
    word I came across the other day - "r! at fink." Ooh, what a nasty
    put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And
    what was it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame
    you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern
    and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux."
    Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with SpectraVision!

Food for thought. Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago?
    Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured,
    because I never hear mothers threatening their kids with castor oil
    anymore, either.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list.The
    one that grieves me most - "supper." Save a great word. Invite someone
    to supper and discuss fender skirts.

--Author unknown

Re: Words of the Past

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Comment

Hey,
      I still remember “Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile.” What ever happened to Ukulele Ike, or 23 skidoo, The cat’s whiskers, The cat’s meow, The Charleston, “When Johnny come marching home again”, and “Her goo-goo-googally-eyes.” The Rio, The Cord, The Stanley Steamer, The Tin Lizzy (Model T Ford) – four cars. Well I don’t remember them myself, but I used to hear my folks singing and talking about them all the time.

I remember, The Big Apple, Truckin – (dance steps), Poor Johnnie One Note, See ya later alligator – After a while crocodile (That was sooo funny), I remember the Edsel, The Willys, the Henry J, my first car was a 1933 Hupmobile, used to go dating in a Packard coupe, owned a Nash Rambler. I’ve ridden in a rumble seat, I remember when the car trunk really was a trunk, my brother used to empty the drip pan under the ice box. I remember putting quarters in the electricity meter. Oh golly, I’d better shut up before I really get started.
      Burt

Comment

Burt, 23 skidoo! get your zoot suit out.
        Now a days 23 skidoo is 23 guys riding by on their skidoo snowmobile.
        Actually how many teens would know what a 33, 45 or 78 record is or even an 8 track?
        Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
        Good luck and stay well.
        Glen

Comment

How many teens would even know what a cassette tape is, for that matter?

Comment

Leave it to a Canadian to come up with a Skidoo Snow Mobile. . . Doesn’t Skidoo also make Ski Boats for the more southern folk?

How about, Mares-E-Dotes, Three Little Fishes, Lily Marlene, (That German song was so popular it crossed No-Man’s-Land in WWII, and was popular here too.), Blue Birds Over The White Cliffs Of Dover, The Last Time I saw Paris, - - - - eating chips of ice off the back of the ice truck, running through the water from an open hydrant in the summer, - - - Do they still have “company picnics”?

I remember sock hops and band pavilions with weekly dances under the stars in the park. What ever happened to Gasoline Alley, Alley Oop, Lil’ Abner, Popeye and Olive Oil and Wimpy - - - Where’s One Man’s Family, Stella Dallas, and Molly Goldberg or Uncle David? What ever happened to Sky King, the Inner Sanctum, Suspense, The Coronet Story Teller, Mr. First Nighter, The Hardy Boys. How about Frigidaire – with the coil on top of the appliance (replacing the ice boxes), how about washers with the wringer affixed on the outside of the tub, or running boards you could stand on and hang on as the car went down the street. (They didn’t have police cars for the cop on the beat, so he would jump on the running board and order the driver to chase an offending motorist.

My uncle bought his first car off the shelf at Sears & Roebuck (used both names then). It came with a free driving lesson and a license. My uncle renewed it all his life – never did take a driving test. (Reminds me – the first two cars in the state of Ohio crashed into each other at an intersection.)

Well, I’m rambling again. Guess I’ll just go Sit Under The Apple Tree.
            Burt

Comment

WoW! That was like a foriegn language to me! I have a lot of older friends and they sometimes ask me if I know a certain person or show and all I can do is give them a deer in the headlight look because it just seems that America doesn't treasure its past enough! All we learn about in school is war and how fast we have to keep up with things. Not what fun American's used to have. Nothing pleases me more than listening to Doo-Wop on the forty fives. A roommate once had a jukebox and we would play it every night after work. It was a great way to relieve stress.

Oh, well I'm just a baby I guess!

mary S.

Comment

Burt, yes they do, there called Sea-Doos and there not just for you southern folk. We use them here when the ice goes out of the lakes.
                I live on a lake and they buzz around here like a bunch of bees.
                Mary, I have a collection of Doo Woop CDs and listen to them all the time.
                Good luck and stay well.
                Glen

Comment

Hey Mary and Glen,
                  You guys ever listen to the Big Bands – that’s where I live. Doo-Wop was a little after my time. Ever hear of the radio programs, “Battle of the Baritones” or “You’re Hit Parade?” I remember shellac 78’s, and later vinyl – much lighter to carry. Then came 33 1/3 records – mostly for albums, then 45’s for singles, very light and easy to carry by comparison, but I never thought they would “catch on.” Oops, I’m reminiscing again.

By the way Glen, we send you summers as a break from your winters. Hope you enjoy them.
                  Burt

Comment

I do Burt, I appreciate it very much, thank you.
                    So much so that I stayed out in it too much this past week-end building some docks for the boat.
                    I should know better because I take Amiodarone and that can make you very sensitive to sun light. I wore my sun screen, but I still got toasted a little.
                    We have a radio station here that plays mainly 50s music, but unlike most 50s stations that play only the rock n roll 50s music, they mix in big band music and some of the other entertainers that were famous at that time.
                    I listen to that quite a bit.
                    Till my daughter gets in the car.
                    Good luck and stay well.
                    Glen

Comment

Boy I hear that,
                      I still get annoyed when I pull up at a light with my windows closed and the air conditioner on (desert you know) and some kid pulls up along side with all the windows open and the radio or stereo cranked up to the point where it drowns out the program I’m listening to.

Also, my back yard is surrounded by a six foot concrete wall. Beyond that are plantings with a path curving through it, and beyond that is a neighborhood street. Sometimes at night some clown will drive by with his radio cranked up so high it will wake me in my bedroom with the widows closed.

If I had any money to invest I would buy hearing aid stock. When the current generation grows up, I’d be worth a fortune. - - Grump – grump – grump.
                      Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X