If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM on Eli Stone Episode

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Paula&Dave Find out more about Paula&Dave
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM on Eli Stone Episode

The Eli Stone episode featuring Katie Holmes had two characters with HCM - the Katie Holmes character and a deceased, young soldier who had HCM and died of "congestive heart failure" while serving in the war. The father had pulled strings to get the son into the military in spite of having HCM. HCM was referred to as a "rare condition."

Re: HCM on Eli Stone Episode

I have to say that although they called it rare - the rest of it story was very realistic and could have been pulled out of the files of the HCMA. I have actually had people "doctor shop" to get cleared of a diagnosis - and in some of those cases the outcome is not much different then in this program.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I think the "rare" comment was used to point out the 2% of sudden death HCM sufferers. I know that with just one family member or friend who dies suddenly from HCM is too many. Overall I thought the program was excellent, fairly well researched so I was impressed. I must admit also that I am a loyal fan of the show, so there may be a little bit of bias in there.

Comment

You can watch the episode online if you missed it:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/elistone/index?pn=index

"Grace" 10/21/08
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I was saddened by the episode... I thought Katie couldn't start a friendship with Eli because she thinks she has a defective heart. Yikes! That is just what I don't want to think... Was I the only one that was bothered by that show?

Pat

Comment

OK so.. I watched this program online - and I thought it had ended at the 3rd commercial break... so after the comment above I knew I missed something. So I have re-evaluated my opinion.... hey I am a girl I can change my mind sometimes...

So the story line about the dad and son - that was very realistic and I think that was done well... for a sad story.

The Katie Holmes story line... well... IMHO WAY too dramatic and unrealistic... BUT they did say HCM several times.... they did make people listen to is and think about it... so in the end it raised awareness - but HEY... she did follow her dream and went to Africa to do what she wanted... who knows maybe she will return if the program does well.

Maybe she and Eli will find love and find the Wizard and get a new brain and heart

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Just watched it (yeah it's 4:30am and I couldn't sleep)...

I thought it was well done. Nice to hear the words 'hypertrophic cardiomyopathy' spoken on a prime time network television show. You always wish that your friends/family would catch these shows and finally 'get' it. Might make the siblings think more about getting themselves tested for HCM. But alas, I don't see this happening on my end.

Jim

Comment

I took it that she ended her high stress career as a big-time lawyer because of HCM. I can relate to that as I recently had to go from 50+ hour weeks to about 30.

And like others have said: Hey, they said HCM several times! I bet there were at least a few people out there that had never heard of it and Googled it.
                Annette w/Zapper, Zipper & Ticker
                Symptomatic 1987, Diagnosed 1999, AICD 2001, 2005
                Myectomy w/valve replacement 8/2007 (36 y/o)

Comment

Originally posted by AnnetteP View Post
                  I bet there were at least a few people out there that had never heard of it and Googled it.
                  Interestingly enough, there was a spike in google searches for 'hypertrophic cardiomyopathy' following the 10/21 broadcast of Eli Stone. There was also a spike the week prior. Could just be coincidence, but I'd bet at least some (if not most) of the hits are due to the show:

Google Trends

Comment

Working...
                  X