If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sleeping question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ishtardnce Find out more about ishtardnce
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping question

hi all, i've been reading the forums for a while now, but have finally registered so i can post.

i haven't had any surgery, we are trying hard to treat my HCM medically. i do notice some symptoms still on a daily basis, but they're much better than they've been, so i believe the meds are helping.

my question is around sleep. i am keenly aware of my heart beat - feeling and hearing it - when trying to sleep. if i try to sleep on my left side - even rolling over to the left while mostly still asleep, it seems like i get wicked palps and tachycardia feelings that, for lack of a better word, do almost feel like they could be a panic attack. however, they seem to resolve if i roll back to my right.

any one else experiencing this? any solutions people have found? i am starting to be really uncomfortable on my right side - shoulder problems - and can't sleep on my back at all, so often end up on my stomach, but that too is somewhat prone to trigger that oh-so-familiar pounding heart.

i am starting to feel like a crazy person because even spending 10 hours in bed, i don't feel rested!

thanks in advance for any insight/advice.

--greta

ps: i did read lisa's old post about memory foam, and already have a tempurpedic - which has helped, but not enough!
    Last edited by ishtardnce; 10-26-2008, 08:54 PM. Reason: added additional information

Re: sleeping question

Hi, While in ICU for about a month I was forced to sleep on my back due to all the wires and heart monitor. I used to sleep on my side or stomach so it was very hard to get used to. I then had an ICD put in so I had to sleep on my back until it healed some. I can now sleep on my right hand side or back but it hurts to try the left side or stomach.

Maybe you could try sleeping on your back but while sitting up a bit like in a recliner.

I also feel every beat but there is nothing that can be done about it. I hate the PVCs that I get as they make it harder to sleep as I can feel them all.

Comment

thanks for your response doug. it does help to know i'm not alone in this strange world of feeling every beat - especially at night! i hope the implant is helping you.

--greta

Comment

Many of us can't sleep on our left sides. I haven't been able to for ages. I sleep on two, sometimes three pillows and this helps me stay on my back instead of my stomach. I tend to end up on my right side most of the time.

Comment

Working...
        X