If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercising?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bronxbommber Find out more about bronxbommber
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercising?

So I am interested in getting in shape and losing body fat, but I want to be careful because I have been diagnosed with HCM. I would prefer to lose weight in the abdomen region. I was wondering if anyone knew good exercises that are allowed. I'm not talking about weight training; I've already been told that free weights are not allowed.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Re: Exercising?

The key is to burn more than you take in. That said, its not just exercising, but actually monitoring your calorie intake (sorry to make a chore of it!). So a balanced, low calorie diet work for most. As we HCM'r are often "carb sensitive" a high protein/low carb diets works for some. There is no "target area" to lose from, your body will remove fat in an overall fashion & you can't control which part will lose first or last.

We hcm'r have it more difficult as its hard/dangerous for us to raise our heart rate into the "target zone," that HR of 120-130% of your resting HR where we burn the most fat.

First - talk to your doctor & discuss your goals and limits. Find an exercise thats comfortable for you to do on a consistant basis and listen to your body. Do not over exert yourself. Start slow. Be it walking (excellent) biking, swimming (with Dr's. OK, and others around). These will allow you to set a goal (distance, time, laps) and allow you to increase as you are able. The reasonable goal is 1-2 lbs a week. Sorry, no miracles here, it took time to get on us & it'll take time to get off us. Be patient. We're all here to help you in any way we can!
    Last edited by mbcube; 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM. Reason: clarification
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

My HCM doc told me as long as my workouts were graded (gradual warm up then gradual cooldown) it was ok if my heart rate got up to 160. I got the impression that intensity wasn't as important as how gradual the stress on the heart is..sudden high stress being the worst.

Of course, my case is fairly mild and that might be a factor in what my restrictions are.

Comment

160???? Holy smokes! I can't even get mine that high during stress tests. I was told to never go above 110 (and yes, NO weights). Just walking today I got up to 92 and I was very taxing and I consider myself to be a very healthy HOCM patient with pretty tolerable symptoms. That shows you how individual we all are.
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++
        *Adopted but know that birth Father died at 37 of what we now believe to be HCM.
        *Diagnosed with HOCM in 11/07. I also have the abnormal papillary muscle.
        *Gradient 100-185 when provoked.
        *Currently being treated with Atenolol, 50 mg. per day.
        *Three kids: 19, 13 and 11, all presently clear of HCM.
        *Patient of Dr. Sharlene Day, U of M.
        *ICD - August, 2010

Comment

My husband, who is 30 and was diagnosed at 11, was able to complete a stress test three weeks ago with a max heartrate of 140 - what they consider normal for his age. He was told to stop, actually, instead of not being able to complete the test. The best person to ask for advice on exercise is your doctor as everyone is so different!
          Marki (34) mom to: Quest (15) positive HCM, Zak (10) HCM, waiting on a new heart for 14 months now, Sutton (7) gene negative, and MJ (2) no HCM. Wife to Michael (35). ***Remembering Priscilla (passed on October 31, 1999 @ 33 yrs old), Janice (passed on September 1, 1974 @ 16 yrs old) and Shirley (passed on October 23, 1995 @ 58 yrs old).*** All were from HCM.

Comment

Working...
          X