If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

megz i am a 20 year old female who has just been dioginosed with HOCM. Find out more about megz
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise

I have been attending cardiac rehab and am onto my 5th week (goes for 8 weeks) am really getting alot out of this, the infomation sessions are really useful and informative, the exercise is also great. However i am struggling with my weight... not being able to exercise for the last 2 years has really taken its toll on me and my fitness, but now being able to exercise - well at least walk for an hour a day - i am not seeing an results, i feel like i have lost few kilos, but doesnt really seem to be showing! I am watching what i eat, and making sure i have 2 litres of water a day, have been exercising since i got out of hospital, but nothing is working and its really frustrating me. I know that it is still too early for me to paticipate in team sports, or even start running, but i am getting very frustrated not being able to do anything about my weight. i am so self concious of it and my family has been giving me a hard time about it. Guess i thought that after a few weeks of getting back into the exercise, i would start to see results but not so... i think that i am doing all i can, and if anyone could give me some ideas that would be great.
    Thanks Heaps

Meaghan
    MyEctmoy 6th March 2008

Re: Exercise

A lot of people struggle with this issue. A lot of times there is the combination of not being able to exercise strenuously, the beta blocker holding the heart rate down, and generally not feeling very well. I know a few people here who have lost weight recently. One used a nutritionist to make a plan on how to eat. She came to find she had not been consuming enough calories each day. Another stated he has used www.sparkpeople.com to help him keep an accurate count of what he's eating and what exercise he's been doing. Both of these have had pretty good success.

You have to remember, though, that you had your myectomy less than two months ago. You aren't expected to be jumping right back into life at full speed. Give yourself time to heal and I think things will start to fall together for you soon.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Meaghan,
      Well, actually, "a few kilos" lost in 5 weeks is quite good. In fact, it's about as fast as one can hope to lose weight on a safe and rational diet.

As you start exercising, you'll be burning fat AND building muscle. Muscle is heavy. At some point many people find that they look thinner but aren't any lighter -- because they've put on muscle.

I've certainly struggled with the same problem. It's not easy. But it may help to know that it actually sounds as though you're doing well at this.

I'm not sure how to tell your family that more support and less criticism would actually help you more.

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Hello Meaghan,
        I have struggled with my weight for years and I am finally getting it down but I had to first realize that it took me more than a few years to gain all the weight that I have to lose. I use the sparkpeople website that Reenie mentioned and I find it to be useful. I have done plenty of diets and exercise to understand how you feel. I just finished Cardiac rehab for the third time this past Wednesday and this is the first time that I am leaving much lighter than I started.

Stick in there the kilos you have dropped will show soon on you and you will be proud of yourself.
        You said,"i am so self concious of it and my family has been giving me a hard time about it." I am very self concious about how I look and have been struggle with this for many decades, I am now to the point that after surgery that you either take me or leave the way that I am.

I wish you the best of luck and stick with it you'll see the results soon.

Peace,
        Nikki
        ------
        "I will live each day with the love and help of my family and friends."

Diagnosed w/ HOCM Feb. '05, ICD April '05, Myectomy Dec. 13th, 2005 at NEMC
        Wire fractured, ICD and wire replced on 10/17/2008.
        Adopted in 1979, no medical history passed on other than born with a murmur and leaky valve.
        Married 9 years to the greatest husband that a woman could want.
        Mother to a wonderful 9 year old boy. So far he is negative for signs of HCM.

Comment

Ok - Did anyone get a bit mad reading Meaghan's letter? before I address her concerns, let me address mine. . .

YOU'VE JUST HAD OPEN HEART SURGERY! TELL YOUR FAMILY TO BACK OFF! If they continue to harrass, you give me a ring, I'll come over there & have a "little chat" with them!

There, I feel better. Meaghan, You've done great so far, Don't be discouraged! Lift those chins up & be proud! You survived a major, life- altering surgery and are taking control of your future !

Slow & steady wins the race. Now-a-days, we see folks lose 20, 50 100 lbs in a month or two on TV and think that's normal - Your not working out 5-6 hours a day! A goal of 5-10 pounds a month is good. Stay active, walk, swim and watch what you eat. Your doing fine & don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

If I may, I'd like to speak for all of us here on the board - We're proud of you!
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

thanks to all so far who have replied to my thread. I have been talking to a few friends over the weekend, i went to a friends engagement party, and she said that as i walking down the driveway, she could already notice the weight lose, she actually said that i had a waist... LOL thats the nicest compliment i think that i have ever had. that made me feel like a million bucks and i had one of the best nights that i have in a long time. i guess as i said earlier that it is so hard to realise that you cant just jump straight back into lots of exercise. I was such an active person 2 yrs ago, and when i am feeling ok, i guess that i tend to do a bit more than what i think i can do. I have actually gotten off my butt and made a few appointments, i am going to see my local gp next week, for check up and to ask for a referal to a dietian. Also my uncle who works in as a nurse, has put me onto this really good book, HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT THE EASY WEIGH! its by alan carr, and i red the EASY WAY TO QUIT SMOKING BOOK, by the same author, many months before my op and was very successful in quitting, so i thought that i would give his other book ago.... HERES HOPING! i do understand that what i have just had done and i guess i just need to step back and take things a bit slower. Look forward to the day that i do feel so much more stronger and better and i know that is closer than i think.

Thanks again, guess i just needed to vent my thoughts to someone, and thats what this is for? YEah?

Thanks Meaghan

Comment

You seem to have a good handle on things. I'll put my brass knuckles away until I get your call. From what I've heard here on the board that folks are really surprised on how well they feel after surgery & everyday brings new discovery.
              Marc
              Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

Hi Everyone.

Just wanted to update you all... I have been exercising so much more over the past few weeks, and am currently walking 4km (on flat) everyday, aswell as walking twice some other days. Still at rehab aswell, and that is def making a BIG difference. have an appointment with Diateian on Monday and only have 2 more weeks of rehab but am going to continue on with my exercise that i can complete at rehab.

Just wanted to let everyone know how things were going.

Thanks for all your support, and positive thoughts and words.
                Meaghan

Comment

Meaghan - You sound so much happier! Glad your able to do so much but don't over do it. Remember - your still healing! Have you seen improvement in your abilities? Do you notice little things (able to walk without getting winded, doing hills or a flight a stairs with ease?). Please do continue & let us know all your accomplishments!
                  Marc
                  Diagnosed @ 48

Comment

Yeah i def have noticed the difference, rehab has def helped with how much i am able to do, and yeah i wasnt even able to walk for 5 mins prev to op without getting breathless! I am so much happier, everything is really well, fam have backed off... and being positive is such a huge thing. but stairs and hills are very easy to do with sob...

Comment

I try to eat healthy. I am subscribed to the Nutri-System diet you see plastered on the TV every night. Decent food. Pizza, burgers, pasta, etc that is all low carb, low fat, low calorie, and no trans fat. I also walk my dog each day at least a mile and go to the gym when I can and do light cardio.

Comment

Watch the sodium content in those types of meals. 2400 mg is a maximum daily allowance.
                        Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                        ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                        Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                        Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I started swimming and have dropped some weight pretty fast, and my HCM Doc didn't discourage it.

While not exercise related, learning about food can really help you drop the weight and save some cash. I learned alot about nutrition while I was still weight lifting. This comes down to what you can handle in cutting out the bad parts of your diet. If you can manage to make pretty bland stuff taste great..you might make huge gains. If you can only cut out some stuff, it'll still be an improvement. But never the less...here's the basic rules I think of "cleaning" one's diet for weight loss and generally eating better.

1. Substitute red meats with lean meats. Use ground turkey instead of ground beef. Try to eat as much chicken, turkey and fish for your proteins as you can. If you eat red meat make it a lean variety and cook it well.

2. Anything white..give it color. White rice? make it brown. White bread? Make it whole grain.

3. Try to stay anyway from anything processed. It's not easy in today's world, but it's not hard to cut out some processed food in your diet.

4. Don't eat 3 hrs before bed, and that should be a small snack.

5. While this is purely weight loss'centric - get your starchy carbs earlier in the day so your body burns them. The less starchy foods your body has to burn later in the day the more fat you burn later in the day the more fat you'll burn overnight.
                          - carb cycling (varying your carb intake on a daily basis) is phenomenal for weight loss. it takes amazing self control to do in my opinion but if you can hack it the pounds will fly off. Google carb cycling if you want an in depth plan.

Also if you can manage to do cardio in the morning before you have breakfast (on an empty stomach) it's the best time for fat burning. I don't think this would have any complication with HCM, but may want to ask your doc.
                          Last edited by ToddR_IL; 06-13-2008, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X