If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like patting myself on the back...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

tyreke28 Adopted in 1974, parents told that I had a heart murmur Find out more about tyreke28
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like patting myself on the back...

Hello to all of my HCMA family members,
    I know I have been gone from the board a lot lately but for a good reason. In June of last year a tipped the scales at 293.6 pounds, the higest I have ever been in my life. So I started to to look at things going on in my life and decided it was time for a change. I realized it was time for us to all change when I realized that my then 8 year was 110 pounds, at 4'9" he should have been 85-90. Even my hubby was tipping the scales higher than he wanted to. In November I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and even though I had began making changes it was crunch time in our lives. I had started back to Cardiac rehab a few months earlier and that was helping because I was down to 285 in September when I went back. On Wednesday of next week I will have finished my latest round of rehab and I will be on my own again but I know that I can do this. I started to see a nutritionist in November this has helped, every two weeks. The plan that I am on right now is counting calories, not for the reason that you might think but because I do not eat enough calories. I now have to eat 1200 before I was eating 800-1000. My body was storing those calories instead of burning them.

Well here's the math for those of you are curious if I am doing good.

Me: 293.5-236.6=56.9 pounds lost
    Hubby: 258-224= 34 pounds lost
    Tyreke: 110-98= 12 pounds lost (slow for him because he is growing and does not have as much to lose as I do.)

I am proud of myself for so many reasons, and I am not just talking about the HCM. I am able to fit in clothes that I saved from my "skinny days"....okay skinnier days. Even those are getting too big for me.

For those of you coming to the conference I hope I am there and if not I will be there with you in spirit. Although the only thing at this point that can stop me from being there is being in the hospital.

Peace
    Last edited by tyreke28; 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nikki
    ------
    "I will live each day with the love and help of my family and friends."

Diagnosed w/ HOCM Feb. '05, ICD April '05, Myectomy Dec. 13th, 2005 at NEMC
    Wire fractured, ICD and wire replced on 10/17/2008.
    Adopted in 1979, no medical history passed on other than born with a murmur and leaky valve.
    Married 9 years to the greatest husband that a woman could want.
    Mother to a wonderful 9 year old boy. So far he is negative for signs of HCM.

Re: I feel like patting myself on the back...

Nikki.

You are an inspiration an wonderful example for us all! Congratulations!

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Nikki, you've done a great job and you deserve that pat on the back! I hope to see you in NJ.
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Nikki - Congratulation on being an inspiration to your family & all of us! I know its hard work & you can see the rewards. I hope you feel better and continue to hit all your goals, what ever they are - cause you can do it!
        Marc
        Diagnosed @ 48
        Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
        Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
        AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
        After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
        Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Nikki
          You did it! How wonderful. Keep up the good work.
          Esther

Comment

Way to go, Nikki!
            Congrats!
            Theresa
            Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Nikki, good for you. Hope to see you in May.
              Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
              ICD&Pacemaker 1996
              Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
              Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Nikki so happy for you and ALL your family. You have worked very hard and deserve a HUGE pat on the back... feel many coming from me.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Nikki that is absolutely freaking awesome. You deserve a HUGE pat on the back for your hard work.
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X