If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New diagnosis difficult to accept/adapt

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

neverhart Diagnosed with HOCM: 2006. Septal Myectomy: 2/2008 Find out more about neverhart
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New diagnosis difficult to accept/adapt

Thanks for the responses. It's great to see support for this. Not being the only one in my situation helps.

Comment

Welcome to the site B Kelly.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by kiddster View Post
        I'm from a place where HCM is totally new and not considered as something that can cause fatality unless you're pushing a car to the top of a hill or such.

But then, once you get HCM, you yourself know that you can't push your body over the limit or things might go bad for you. However, as HCM is not of a main concern here, people wonder how come you are not exercising to your so-called potential limits. It's tough explaining to them. Even when I met with a workout trainer from a famous gym here, they can't figure out the seriousness of this thing we call HCM. It's really frustrating!

So, Ben, if you and your trainer have a workout that could be useful to us all in maintaining not only our body shape but our health as well, please do share... It would very much be appreciated.

Thank you...
        Hello Kidster,

This is Benjamin here. I hope you had a good turkey day. We were able to relax a little bit which was good. I ended up signing up a anytime fitness here for my workouts. All I really need now is the bare minimum. It has everything that I need (cardio pieces, free weights, and machines.) I was told that I could exercise, but no competitive sports, I would have to reduce my level of it, and to shy away from things like the bench press. I have been doing push-ups however. I am still trying to figure out what will be the best workout plan for me. I am currently keeping a journal of my eating and my exercise regimen, so I can track my improvement. I have to go back to MN in about six months to get all the testing done again, so my goal is to be back in prime shape. I know that this may take longer, especially with reducing the intensity of workouts. I will keep you informed. Take care and God bless
        Benjamin
        www.icando.spreadshirt.com

Comment

Re: Some thanks and some history...

Originally posted by mbcube View Post
          Maybe if we get enough of us together we can form some kind of team - Even get jersey's or tee's made up (medtronic's sponor?). We can meet at the next HCMA National meeting. The obvious name could be Heartbreakers, but I'm sure there's other good names out there!

MBcube,

That sounds like a great idea to put together some type of team. Count me in!!! Let me know what assistance you may need to make it happen. Take care and God bless.
          Benjamin
          www.icando.spreadshirt.com

Comment

You guys are too funny - - Heartbreakers huh...
            Lets see you all in May at the Meeting and see what we can put together!

Take care,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
              Hello Kidster,

This is Benjamin here. I hope you had a good turkey day. We were able to relax a little bit which was good. I ended up signing up a anytime fitness here for my workouts. All I really need now is the bare minimum. It has everything that I need (cardio pieces, free weights, and machines.) I was told that I could exercise, but no competitive sports, I would have to reduce my level of it, and to shy away from things like the bench press. I have been doing push-ups however. I am still trying to figure out what will be the best workout plan for me. I am currently keeping a journal of my eating and my exercise regimen, so I can track my improvement. I have to go back to MN in about six months to get all the testing done again, so my goal is to be back in prime shape. I know that this may take longer, especially with reducing the intensity of workouts. I will keep you informed. Take care and God bless
              Hey there Ben,

Great to know that you're still going to the gym. I am too but however, I'm currently limiting myself only to cardio and light weights. And sometimes when I'm at the free weight area, I just get a little bit streessed out looking at other people more skinnier than me but carrying more weights... Huh...

Another thing I'm enjoying right now is an hour of swimming. It's totally relaxing. You should try it.

Hope that you can get to your prime shape. Anyway, let us know if you've found the right kind of regime for yourself...

In The Land of the Blind, The one-Eyed Man is the King

Azhari aka Kiddster
              From Malaysia
              Diagnosed with HCM in 2006

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X