If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

work

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ssavage69 married 20yrs, 2 children son 19 , daughter 16 Find out more about ssavage69
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work

Hi, everyone. I have alot of questions , but will start with this one, I work alot of hours, like 10 to 12 hours a day. I get maybe a 15 min break, when i can! I am a assistant manager at a retail store. Does anyone think this could hurt me? I mean working that many hours? I do everything, unload truck, stock, run register...etc.... I really like my job , but lately i am soooooooooooooooo tired, by the end of the day i am totally exhausted. While i am working i sweat so bad, my whole body is soaked. is this a symptom? I am seeing my cardiolgist on monday, and she talked about trying to get me into the cleveland clinc sometime. But, i am so worried. can anyone help with these questions? thanks!
    "God never gives you more than you can handle"

myectomy 2/1/08 cleveland clinic

Re: work

Have you been diagnosed with HCM? I would say if you are not feeling well with all the work you do, then you need to slow down and get a more sedentary job. Heavy lifting isn't very good for hcm for one thing. Anyway, I would talk to your doctor about either getting disability or looking for a more sedentary job.

Comment

yes , i diagnosed this last week with hcm , I see my doctor tomorrow, i have so many questions for her. But, i think she is going to try to get me into a doctor at cleveland clinc. I know my job is to hard for me now. but, it is the only way i can afford insurance. I also have disk degeneration disease in my back, so I am not sure if that would help to get ssi or not? and honestly we can't afford me not to work, or the long wait for the ssi to take effect. I know they say "god never gives you more than you can handle." but, ?

Comment

Hi

I also have HCM and osteoporosis in my lower back and both hips, It is tuff this time of year with the weather changing and I worked in retail also for over 20 years and it is a tough job, the standing on your feet like that I know is hard, I myself cannot do it anymore, It would be a great Idea to go to Cleveland Clinic it is a great place and when you get there maybe with the right meds and maybe even surgery you may be able to continue working, I hope you get the answers you need

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

well just a update, I went to the doctor on monday, she has wrote me off till further notice? well at least till i see the doctor at cleveland clinc. So, now i am sitting at home being toally bored! she also said she doesn't even want me excerising! not until they get my meds fixed. She started me on topal 25 mg,time release, once a day. now, i have to start taking 2, and then next week 3! my blood pressure right now is,118/75 and sometimes 112/65, with my pulse being 88 up to 110! so i can't see how taking 3 pills will help? i mean how low can your blood pressure get before its not safe! thanks for listening to me vent!

Comment

Hi! The good news is that you have some time off to get some answers and maybe your meds regulated. I have low BP and I tried taking toprol and it didn't work. I am now on atenolol, which I took many years ago and it didn't seem to work, but I am willing to try it again. I also have disk degeneration in my back which they found looking for the reason my right leg muscles are atrophying. I went to the Mayo Clinic at the end of May and they said my heart output was less than 50%. I did qualify for disability last month and even though it is a blessing it is still hard to handle. I use to work with kids and even though I am sooo tired daily I miss the normal schedule and feeling like a part of something. I am considering the septal myectomy recommended by Dr. Ommen at the Mayo Clinic. I do have 3 kids to keep me busy, ages 20, 18 and 13.

I hope you get some good answers at Cleveland. Keep strong and know you are not alone with your struggles. I know we can all feel that way at some time, but Lisa has blessed us with this website and we can whine & complain without any judgement and be there with our words and stories for each other.

Shelly
            Shelly
            Choose to laugh instead of cry...it's prettier!
            Remember...
            You always have the option to change.

Diagnosed 1994 with no family history
            AICD 10/06
            Mayo Clinic Myectomy 11/07 Joe Dearani

Comment

I understand your frustration, but your heart rate should be under 80 and that is probably why she is upping your toprol and being cautious because she doesn't want your bp to plummet. For comparison, I'm 5'3" and 108lbs and I take 100mg of Toprol XL TWICE a day. My bp is usually about 90/50. That is about as low as you want to be. 120/60 is the outside range of optimal.

the toprol can also prevent arrhythmias and it also softens the heart beat so it doesn't beat too hard/forcefully, which is a concern with HCM. you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this board who hasn't been on a beta-blocker (like toprol) at one time or another. it is just a matter of finding a dose that works well. they may try different types of beta-blockers or they may find that something else works better for you.

Sounds like you have a bp monitor at home, if so then you should just keep an eye on yourself when you increase the toprol. if not, target has affordable monitors.

you should seriously consider taking this down time to look for a less strenuous job. you do not have to say anything about your heart condition, nor should you as long as you are able to meet the job requirements. (what to say about your condition and when is a whole other conversation. you can pm me if you would like to talk about it. you can also call/email the HCMA office. Lisa worked in HR for almost 20 years so she knows all about it.)

the standard advice to HCMers is to tell us not to do strenuous exercise and your doctor is being very careful. it sounds like she knows that she isn't qualified to treat you and wants to hand you off to Cleveland in the same condition she found you in--and i can't say as i blame her! you are very lucky that she is not being obstructionist and egocentric.

Hang in there. talk to Lisa. Consider looking for an easier job (Zen and the Art of Making a Living by Lawrence Boldt is a great book if you need help) and keep us posted.

S

Comment

Thanks for all the comments..I am enjoying staying home, my house is cleaner! lol but it sure doesn't help the bills..my sister is due in a few days also with her first baby! so i will like being able to help her. I talked to lisa on thursday and feel awhole lot better about everything! I don't feel like i am on deaths door now. She really knows alot about this stuff! Lisa thank you for taking the time to talk to me about this stuff, I know you have alot to deal with right now , with your daughter and that recall. I talked to karen at the cleveland clinc, she says hello! she got me in a week earlier then the doctors office had, so i will be going on nov. 26th, i guess it will be a whole day thing, 7am-6pm, they are also going to try to get the kids done with the echo grams. I am glad it will all be in one day cause we are 4 hours from there. thanks again,

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X