If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports and other physical activities?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MarzieO Find out more about MarzieO
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports and other physical activities?

I'm wondering what folks here do to stay active - my cardiologist recommends that I get in some activity every day. I have a 3-yr-old, which I think ought to be enough activity for anyone (LOL)! I also play softball in the summertime, with dr's permission, making sure to stay hydrated and not overdo. I'd like to try to stay more active year-round, though, and I'd like to hear from other folks with HCM.

Re: Sports and other physical activities?

I think most people walk, some bike. Swimming is another good alternative. Softball is often frowned upon because of the "burst" nature of playing. What position do you play?
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I have to agree with Reenie. Softball would probably not be the most recommended sport for someone with HCM.

Personally, I go to the gym almost every day where I walk on the treadmill, do the elliptical trainer, ride the recumbant bike, and I lift light weights or use the weight machines at an easy level with many reps. I also enjoy swimming laps sometimes for a change. But I always listen to my body and never go faster than comfortable for me.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

As one who used to play softball, I agree with the others. The sudden burst of energy and movement would not be recommended for someone with HCM. Now I rarely play and certainly not in a competitive way. When I do play I pitch for both teams and if the ball does not come right to me I won't go after it.We laugh a lot and have fun, but gone are the days when... Oh well. I am probably too old anyway. So I really don't sdo much other than golf and walking when I feel up to it.

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

It's going to be different for each individual, depending on what your doctor says.

I am 36 and have an ICD implanted, it was implanted for preventative reasons due to having My Father, and My Uncle both have sudden cardiac death events...My Uncle passed away, and My father survived the event due to being in the right place at the right time.

I work out 4 days a week a total of 3 hours of cardio. I keep my heart rate at or near acceptable levels. I figure if something were to happen my ICD would take care of it.

Comment

I'm 14 have an ICD and want to be a kid. Therefore I do things.

I don't have bad days so I always do adaptive gym and now use my heart rate monitor to keep at a good range. That makes workouts fun and challenging.

I take dance classes at a local Y and only take the HCM-friendly classes (modern and ballet)

I coach 5-year-olds in swimming and like you said running after any child with more energy than you should be considered exercise.

I swam for the first time in ten weeks last week also. That's an HCM-friendly exercise in general.

On weekends I also try to do something. I usually try to either bike, walk, or do yoga.

We've all gotta find our thing. I hope you've found yours.
            Love to live. Love to be a kid.

Comment

I'm curious about swimming. Richard has met with Dr. Link once, at which time we discussed the ICD procedure. However, swimming was mentioned. He was told (if I understood correctly) that swimming regularly was not recommended. Not because of the heart and potential arrhythmia, but the movement causing wear and tear on the device. Did I get that right?
              "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
              (resurrected by Emily, researched by her mom)

Comment

Every doctor gives slightly different instructions about how much activity you can do after the implant. Some are told not to weightlift or swim laps alot or do anything with repetitive arm motion as it wears on the leads, and other doctors are not as strict. My own doctor has not limited me, but maybe Dr. Link is more conservative.
                Daughter of Father with HCM
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X