If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise and fluid retention

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Laoshur Find out more about Laoshur
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise and fluid retention

Do others here have this problem? The more I exercise, the more fluid I store. The more fluid I store, the harder it is to exercise. But because I am determined to get back in shape and lose weight, I keep pushing, so I store more and more fluid. Every so often I get busy with other things or sick or just decide to get it off. I stop exercising, take more diuretics and some of it comes off. If I take extra diuretics while I am still exercising, it does not seem to do much - a little, but not much.

When I told the docs this, the pulmonologist said, "why do you think that would be?" and the cardiologist said, "Hmmm. It isn't likely to be the meds since we have not changed them....." So I am turning to you to see if others have this problem and how you solved it.

Rhoda

Re: Exercise and fluid retention

Rhoda, I too have had this problem more lately.. Since the A- fib. Although I have been out of the A-fib since 1-08; I AM STILL THRILLED about that. The ongoing fluid issues force me to stop the exercise or plain activity , take the diuretic and get off my feet. More activity does also gather more fluid for me.

The only way the diuretic seems to work is when I stop and get down.. flat out. This does not help me get my endurance back or any of my lost stamina. I resent having to take the diuretic more and I resent the set back that the a-fib has brought me overall.

I do not know the solution for you as I cannot find it for myself . Although I continue to be optimistic , I am also aware that there have been changes to my hearts structure that have occured and some of these changes may be causing the problems. I will continue to hope that it will turn around as I do also have the same hope for you.

At some point when I am ready I will go back in and get a status check. It has been my experience that often I have symptoms for some time before the changes are deciphered well.

Its like a crap shoot sometimes isn't it?

My additional thinking is when the winter passes I will do better.. we can always have hope and that is A GOOD THING.

Wishing you well .

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks, Pam,

I am glad I am not alone in this. I have wondered about the afib thing because I think the atrial monitoring is turned off on my ICD. I will ask the cardiologist about it when I see him in June. I feel sure that I do not have continuous afib, but I may be having runs of atrial flutter again. I have noticed a few strange sensations that could be that. Today I doubled both of my diuretics (I am supposed to take 1 1/2 when I have excess fluid, but that was not working and I was just getting worse and worse) and am staying in bed because my morning fluid is now to the hanging over the shoes stage and the evening is in the elephant legs stage. I was tempted to say, "so what" and go to the Y anyway, but I know that I could not accomplish as much as if I got rid of this fluid.

Thanks again!
      Rhoda

Comment

I'm the same way I exercise and the fluid goes straight to my stomach I take 440mg a day now and it seems to not be working just every now and then, I have been trying to stay off my feet and watch my fluid intake and my salt intake but I have been going back and forth to the hospital for test so I know I'm getting exercise and in between I try to ride my stationary bike I'm trying to lose this weight too and it is hard when you are limited to what you can do

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi everyone,To echo Pams thoughts I also am hoping to do better once the weather gets a little nicer.Their is still a lot of ice on the streets which doesnt help with the walking.people have recommended Ii walk in the mall,but all I accomplish there is to eat my way thru.It is such a catch22 I gain weight then have no energy to take it off.I need to get a hold of this but it has become more and more difficult.I feel that in addition to my hcm problems Im increasing my risk of blocked arteries.my last blood work came back on the negative side and the dr wanted me to take a cholesterol lowering drug Im hoping to hook up with the walmart drug plan and srart doing it.
          I do miss the days when Ii could exercise my way back from being heavy.Its definitely more difficult now.I know its not impossible,but takes more will power than I seem to be able to muster at the present moment.feel better all.take care mike
          One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
          X