If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weightlifting and icds

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

coffinam Find out more about coffinam
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: weightlifting and icds

Oh my, Chuck. You do have a way with words!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Andy,
      I like your thoughts! And, by the way, for the rest of you, I met Andy once, and he LOOKS like a runner! (or at least other runners I know )
      Theresa

Originally posted by adpsmp View Post
      Great discussion!

Your choice - but in my situation, living conservatively is living - which fulfills a responsibility I have to my family.

For what it's worth - Andy P
      Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by cimdxb2 View Post
        I have several simple questions....

What serious long term studies have been done to draw any correlation between exercise and cell changes in the heart (via HCM)? If there was such a study, what was the sample set? Has there been any new studies since then? If there has been no studies, why would we choose exercise to stop first? Because some athletes have dropped via extreme exercise?

Is it possible that intense (not extreme) exercise can help HCM? Even weight lifting? If not, is there proof of this? Or is it all theoretical assumptions at this point?

Is it possible that by exercising you prolonged the step back that you are feeling now?

People with "healthy" hearts are strongly encouraged to exercise daily. What is it about this exercise that helps them? The long term effects of exercise (yes even intense) has been proven. I think our group should be able to yield the same.

What I have learned about this disease is the extreme subjectivity associated with it. I have also learned that there are very different opinions amongst the "experts" in this area.

When I was up at Mayo, they talked about the guidelines changing some. They are putting an emphasis on the psychological perspective HCM gives you. In other words, if you limit someone, you automatically put them behind the eight ball. To limit, with only assumptions has its downfall too. I spent many hours talking to numerous doctors up there. I left with no restrictions. Now I will say I might have had more restrictions had they not put the ICD in me.

With all this said, I appreciate the advice and will heed the warnings. Personally I hope to help disprove some of the assumptions that are out there and try to expand what an HCM'r can do in life. I am documenting everything I am doing and meeting with my cardiologist every 3 months. Also I am supposed to go back up to Mayo in 3 months and report on how I am doing. To me this is data. Hopefully positive data. The easiest and safest thing a doctor can do is tell you not to exercise. All risk/liability mitigated.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I am trying as hard as I can to not let this condition beat me or my kids (or their kids). We need to find out more and if someone doesn't push the limits, we won't find out. So call me a Guinea pig I guess

By the way, I love these discussions...I think it brings out facts and ideas and makes us all more aware of HCM. The whole purpose of these boards in my opinion.

Dave
        dude same here. I realize its risky but I lift weights. I found my heart strengthening but I know all too well if I push too hard I could die. As long as you know the risk and are willing to take them its on you.

What kind of exercises do you do. Im lifting 60lb dumbells on each hand so that would be a total of 120lbs. I alternate and do 5 sets of 5. I rest in between sets making sure my heart has time to recover or I would definitely cause a vtach. be careful. I hope you have a good ICD. Its kinda like bungee jumping or parachuting. if your bungee cord fails or your chute doesn't open your dead.

Good luck but stay smart. or stay stupid?????

Comment

Working...
        X