If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A strange union

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strange union

Well yesterday we moved my son back to college. Hark, I think the house just sighed from the weight reduction as all the vast accumulations of college necessities were taken out and stuffed into 2 cars and hauled back for the third year.

All settled in, I left him and joked as I hugged him goodbye... see you next May Tim!!

There I was all cozied up back home several hours later on my reclaimed couch, and I recieve a phone call from him telling me that he was talking to his new roomate from Amherst about me and HCM. Tim was doing his small part to educate people about HCM , things he has learned during the journey with me and from attending the June conference.

Well as he is saying "hyper... his roomate completes the word with.. trophicardiomyopathy . As you can imagine , Tim was shocked, mouth gaping open as his roomate and he begin to share information. It appears that he has lost several close relatives and his MOM has HCM and is being treated . Now these boys were already partying so that is as much as I could decipher for now . They both shared their personal concern for potentially developing HCM and Tim found someone who experiences frequent "head whooshes" like himself when he gets up or does certain things. Tim gave Ben the lowdown on the web site and I am sure more info will follow.

How bizarre is that!!! Life is funny isn't it?
    Just had to share it with you all.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: A strange union

WOW... but then again there is a reason they are roommates isnt there!?!?

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

That's so neat that Tim can talk to someone and share what he knows about HCM without having to go anywhere! It's a small world after all....

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Wow! At least you don't have to worry about his being compatible with his roomie!

Rhoda

Comment

Hi Pam -

What a great story. It was great to meet Tim at the conference in June. I can see how he is being a great advocate for all of us with HCM. My wife Eileen often shares the quote (I'm not sure where its from) when she hears a story like Tim's that "There are no coincidences -- just connections in God!"

That quote seems to apply here.

Dick Melia
          Arlington, VA
          (Originally, Newton, MA)

Comment

Pam

What a great story and a small world fate brought them together wow

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

So, so TRUE. I am reminded today that there are indeed reasons that we were all put here on this earth and why we are sprinkled about the planet.

I want to know more about this young mans history but also want to respect his privacy.. I will have to be patient as my son gets to know him.

Dick, Tim and I enjoyed meeting you also . It is nice to look forward to what next year brings as we plan for the next conference and meet again.

I will let you know as more develops.

Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Pam, how neat and you know there is a reason for everything.
                Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Working...
                X