If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Heat bad for everyone????

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ladyjenn Find out more about Ladyjenn
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Heat bad for everyone????

Hello
    I am new to the boards but not to HCM. I am curious how the heat effects others with HCM. The heat index today is 110 and 120 for tommorrow. I have stayed in. If I go out I sweat and get dizzy, if I bend down I feel as if I could pass out. Does hcm effect everyone like this???

Re: Is the Heat bad for everyone????

I think almost everyone with HCM has these sorts of problems with the heat. Try to stay cool and definitely stay hydrated. I hope your heat eases soon.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

YES. Heat makes me miserable.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I have always had trouble with heat ... even way before I was diagnosed with HCM. I just stay inside and do what I can to not get overheated. Stay hydrated!!
        Amy
        Happy wife and mother of four
        Diagnosed wit HOCM in September 2005
        Myectomy at Mayo Clinic November 7, 2005
        Pacemaker August 24, 2011

Comment

The heat is a killer for me. I try not to venture out at all on days like today.
          Just walking from the front door of my home to car 20 feet can be a challange.

Best advice I can give is stay where its air conditioned and drink plenty of fluids.

Hand in there cooler days are coming
          Diagnosed with HOCM January 2006
          Married to the most beautiful woman and supporter in the world Deb,
          Myectomy and Mitral Valve replacement Nov 22, 2006 @Yale New Haven Hospital

Comment

If you have to be out in it stay well hydrated, and limit your time out. My best suggestion is to stay in. It does make everyone miserable but for HCM'ers it can make you more miserable than the average person. Just use precautions and stay safe.
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Ladyjenn, Welcome to the HCMA. I think the above responses tell you you're not alone in this. Let's hope this wave doesn't last too much longer. Linda

Comment

On days like this I don't even try to be outside very much. I drink a lot and am very happy to sit in the AC.
                Leon
                God Squad co-moderator
                Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Ok guys I live in Virginia too and it is going to be 100 tomorrow here in Norfolk and today i went outside and about passed out just walking across the street, so I think i will stay in tomorrow and i did drink alot of water today, I sure don't want to eat it is just too hot, it is suposed to rain Friday I'm just trying to make it until then stay COOL everyone

Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Effects of heat stress on thermoregulatory responses in congestive heart failure patients.

Cui J, Arbab-Zadeh A, Prasad A, Durand S, Levine BD, Crandall CG.

Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine, Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Dallas, TX 75231, USA.

BACKGROUND: Clinical observations suggest that tolerance to heat stress may be impaired in patients with cardiovascular diseases, particularly those associated with impaired ventricular function and congestive heart failure (CHF). However, thermoregulatory function during a controlled heat stress challenge in patients with CHF has not been studied. METHODS AND RESULTS: To test the hypothesis that thermoregulatory responses are attenuated in such patients, we assessed cutaneous vasodilation and sweat rate in patients with stable class II-III CHF and in matched healthy subjects during passive whole-body heating. Whole-body heating induced a similar increase in internal temperature (approximately 0.85 degrees C) in both groups. The sweating responses in patients with CHF were not significantly different from that in control subjects. In contrast, the elevation in forearm cutaneous vascular conductance in patients with CHF was reduced by nearly 50% relative to the control subjects (3.8+/-0.8 versus 6.9+/-1.0 mL/100 mL tissue per minute per 100 mm Hg, P=0.04). Moreover, maximal cutaneous vasodilator capacity to direct local heating in patients with CHF was also significantly lower than in control subjects, suggesting that vascular remodeling may be limiting cutaneous vasodilation during hyperthermia. CONCLUSIONS: These observations suggest that patients with CHF exhibit attenuated cutaneous vasodilator responses to both whole-body and local heating, whereas sweating responses are preserved. Attenuated cutaneous vasodilation may be a potential mechanism for heat intolerance in patients with CHF.

PMID: 16216975 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

We have touched on this topic before, if you do a search for 'heat' something should come up.
                      I am very sensitive to heat, not only hot weather, but warm showers/baths, cooking, washing dishes even just sitting in a warm room. Any exertion at all will get me overheated. I don't always sweat, sometimes I just feel very lighteheaded and weak.

I seem to get especially hot at night, even when the room temp is 'comfortable', according to my husband. I have a fan blowing directly on me all night, even throughout the winter.

Heat is a big issue for many of us, so you are not alone.
                      Hope this is somewhat comforting.

Take care,
                      Pam
                      It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Yessir, we have a heat exemption! Medical reasons, you know.
                        First major HCM symptoms at age 50
                        ICD 6/06

Comment

YESSS! I just got out of the Hospital due to the heat. Our AC failed 3 days ago it was 102 here on that same day. I stayed here because they said it would only take them 2 hours to come and fix it in the early AM. six hours later they showed up and it was early afternoon and it took them about 3 hours to fix it. I guess I overheated because I was drinking alot almost 2 gallons of water and juices. But my congestion was so bad in the evening that I had to go to the hospital. the heat My cardio said had stressed my heart and it responded by decreasing the fluid uptake and worsen my congestive Heart failure, 2 days to bring the fluids down and get home. NEXT TIME I go to the MALL, It may cost less to go shopping than to go to the Hospital. STay cool my friend in the EAst and next time we'll try not to send it through to ya! Today was only 76d.

Billy Berry
                          Be not only GOOD; But, BE GOOD for SOMETHING!

Comment

Working...
                          X