If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with knowledge of your condition at your place of employment?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Spalding Find out more about Spalding
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JudyA
    replied
    Re: How do you deal with knowledge of your condition at your place of employment?

I am facing some of the same issues. I have been looking for a job in my profession since February( I am an RN). No luck until just recently. Friday I filled out 3 hours of paperwork and I think I am now considered an employee. The only place on the job application that asked anything about health was something to the effect of " is there any reason you would not be able to perform the tasks required? I said no. I hope I am right.
    I will be providing home care for a young woman in her home. I have an orientation to complete in the next few days, with a nurse who is already familiar with this client. Then I am on my own. I must lift her- she is about 70 pounds. My doc has given clearance for that kind of lifting, so I am hoping everything still continues to go well. I have done this kind of nursing before, but not since my ablation. IF something goes haywire they will want to know more about my medical, but I am hoping that it doesn't ever come to that. Wish me luch everybody- I'm going to need it!! My confidence level is not very high these days.

::::shaking in my nurse's shoes::::::::

Judy

Leave a comment:

• delfam
    replied
    Re: How do you deal with knowledge of your condition at your place of employment?

Please deal with this carefully. In 2004, I had been going through alot of tests and found out in June. I had my ICD placed in Sept 2004 and was out. I had been med fighted in Sept 2005 and scared my job. THe next year I was in and out. Finally in Feb 2006 was told with my health and the stress of the job was to much for me. Iwas an accountant and know I'm a Real Estate Appraiser. I did not let them know too much and this back fired on me.

Leave a comment:

• tommysgirl
    replied

Please do call the HCMA office and speak to Lisa. It is important to be very careful in how much you discuss with your employer. Unfortunately, it can back fire on you.
    As, for HIPAA it is an act to protect you and your health information. It isn't just to do with insurances. Healthcare workers including doctors, medical staff, and insurance companies have to protect your information and can't speak to anyone about it, including spouses without your written consent.
    I wish you much luck on your return to work. Your ICD is a new safety net for you.

God Bless!
    Sherry

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied

It depends on what kind of work you do. Some people with ICDs had jobs that put them near power converters and they had to change jobs, so then the boss needs to know why.

However, if you have a desk job, no one needs to know. I wear a medic alert bracelet and people ask if i'm diabetic and i just say no and don't say anything else, if they press me, i just say they don't have to worry about it unless there is an emergency.

most peopple can't wrap their mind around HCM and it is usually not in your best interests to say anything unless it is interferring with your work.

While not specific to HCM, this site has some good info on disability in the workplace (i have no financial interest in it but she is my career coach): http://cicoach.com/

Leave a comment:

• THW
    replied

I would think that the information your employer needs to know --- may vary from state to state. I certainly would not feel it is NECESSARY to disclose anything that my doctors didn't feel was necessary, for example, if I'm putting others' safety at risk -- obviously, that would be relevant, but with an ICD, you can feel more secure than before. I might be careful about disclosing too much information until you talk to someone (i.e. Lisa at the HCMA office).

A few years back, when I had to be out of work for a while, due to my HCM acting up while I was pregnant, all my doctor's notes said were something like: "Complete bedrest/No work until further notice;" and "Theresa is permitted to return to work as of this date." When I began working, I hadn't yet been diagnosed, and since when I signed my contract at the beginning of my employment, it did not say anywhere that I needed to update my health status if my health changed, I didn't feel the need to go change my employment records. I figured it wasn't really any of their business.
    Theresa

Leave a comment:

• Spalding
    replied

HIPAA seems to be more about health insurance. My employment has all these requirements about returning to work, and I suppose the required doctor's letter has to summarize what the deal was, so they will know.

I guess I will try to call the HCMA offices tomorrow for guidance on this - it is a very scary thing, going from saying "no health problems except for high blood pressure" to "they put an ICD in me because they are afraid of me dropping dead due to HCM".

Leave a comment:

• tommysgirl
    replied

Remeber that your medical history is personal and protected. There are different opinions on this subject. Many people only give the information that they feel are relevent to there job. It isn't your companys business to know your entire medical history. That's what HIPPA is all about. Think this through and toss around the experiences of others that will surely post here soon, before making your decision. There is many pros and cons to this issues.
    Take care and best of luck!

God Bless!
    Sherry

Leave a comment:

• How do you deal with knowledge of your condition at your place of employment?

Is it common knowledge, especially if you have been out sick for awhile? I suppose the company nurse and doctor have to know, but what about your immediate supervisor and co-workers? I have never mentioned it before since I had no symptoms, but now that I have had some, I suppose it is a part of my medical history, right? Especially since I have an ICD now.
Working...
X