If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isometric Exercise

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Janet Find out more about Janet
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isometric Exercise

I am currently going for cardiac rehab and during the 10 minute warm up they have everyone use light weights (2-15 lbs.) for half of the exercises. I had to tell them, people with HCM are not to use weights, so I do it without. No big deal.

My question to everyone is, what other isometric type exercises or exercise machines are not good for HCMers to use? Are what are good?

Be well, Janet
    Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Re: Isometric Exercise

Originally posted by Janet
    I had to tell them, people with HCM are not to use weights, so I do it without.
    Well, that's news to me. My doctors all told me that using light weights is OK. How else are we supposed to maintain any sort of toning?
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

I was told light weights were OK as well. Post myectomy, Dr Sherrid told me I could lift light weights (under 40 pounds). I do have an ICD so there is a "back up" if anything were to go wrong...not sure if that makes a difference. As with everything though, I would get an oppinion from an informed cardiologist that knows you well and base any activity on their personal assesment of your situation. I took the following PDF to Dr Sherrid and asked him to go through the list with me and mark which ones were OK and which were not: The following link can be found on the HCMA website under the "Risk Stratification" link.

http://www.4hcm.org/WCMS/download.php?id=39089,68,3
      Pace Bene,
      Matt

Diagnosed with HOCM 2003, ICD Implant on 3-3-05, Extended Myectomy with a Mitral Valve Plictation at St. Luke's in NY on 9-27-05

Comment

Well I called both my cardiologists, EP and even my neurologist and all said no to any weights. My mother's cardiologist also said no weights of any kind to her too. I told them about you guys both being told you could use light weights. It sounds like it must be a case by case call on this. Have to tell the staff at cardiac rehab of my mistake. It may also be the old mentality which has been drummed into my family for over 35 years.

I am going to bring that list to the one cardiologist and go over it with him. Great suggestion. Thanks to both of you.

Be well, Janet

Comment

Hi

My Cardiologist denied my request for cardiac rehab. I was a little miffed at him but he told me it would do no good in that I have been doing a lot of walking and other exercises. I had to agree with him on that. He did say I was allowed back into the pool as long as I do not swim. I am not always the brightest star in the sky so of course I went swimming a a teenie tiny bit and he was right! I have walked in the pool a few times and this morning I did water aerobics. I thought it best not do a few things that everybody else what doing but in short, I am hooked.

Scott(inthepool)
          Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Hi Scott:

The best thing about cardiac rehab is I am monitored when I push myself to exercise harder and when trying new machines. Takes the scare factor out of it for me. I wasn't able to do much of anything for a few years before my myectomy, so I really needed this to bring me back.

Like you have found, I too am much more of a fan of the water. I joined a very light form of water exercise for people with arthritis (I don't have) and muscle diseases (which I do have). I stopped because of the heart problems and when cardiac rehab is done, I am back to the pool along with the other land exercises. The water exercises helped me lose a little weight and kept me toned.

I have always wondered, does the chlorine bother your asthma at all?

Be well, Janet

Comment

I am wondering about volleyball. My son's pediatric cardiologist has put specific limitations on his baseball playing this season and said no more after this season is over. His sister plays volleyball and we put up a net in the backyard where he likes to knock the ball around with her. He is a very sports-minded 14 year old and wants to play something. I notice volleyball is not on the risk stratisfication list. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks, Vickie

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X