If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sudden Death and Athletics..

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Darren1 My real name is Darren, I have HCM and am a VERY active person that loves to exercise. Find out more about Darren1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Death and Athletics..

Below is a post I made to the "Reporting Sudden Deaths" Forum and the response I received. What I'd like to know is how many of the sudden deaths that Lisa has heard of occured during athletic activity (what % of the sudden deaths she knows of that were not reported to her via the news)? I'd also like to know where the statistics are showing they "appear to happen more often in athletes".

I posted some statistics to the contrary from the London Marathon (and other sources) here is the link: http://forum.4hcm.org/viewtopic.php?...ghlight=london (Scroll about 1/2 way down the page and you will see my post).

I would have posted this as a reply in the "reporting sudden deaths (in athletes) forum", but only moderators can post there. This is actually a better forum for the discussion anyway.

Thanks,

-Darren

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:46 pm Post subject: People do die of sudden death who are not athletes...

I assume? So why aren't any posted here? Do 95% of sudden deaths occur in athletes? Somehow I think we are seeing a misleading representation here.. (not intentionally misleading.. but misleading all the same).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:45 am Post subject: Re: People do die of sudden death who are not athletes...

I would have to disagree. Deaths of non athletes are simply not reported in the press with the same frequency, thus most of the postings on this board of SD are in athletes.

Deaths do occur in non athletes but do appear to happen more often in athletes then non athletes, thus the reason HCM is a diagnosis that leads to disqualification from athletics.

Best wishes,
    Lisa

I don't know if there is even a known answer to your question since sudden deaths due to HCM are not all getting reported for a variety of reasons (not diagnosed, misdiagnosed, etc) or not all reported to the same place.

I don't think most local coroners have a red phone to Lisa's office (although they should).

Broad based screening is a step in the direction towards being able to track at risk kids/people.

And while it would be nice to have hard numbers on this, it is unlikely that they are significantly different from the stats we do get.

I was in the ER yesterday and the doc said immediately after hearing my diagnosis, well, no basketball for you!

Comment

Ok, a bit off topic, but are you ok, Sarah?

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

R

Thankfully, yes. I'm ok. It was a panic attack, but it presented like nothing I've ever experienced and there wasn't an obvious stress catalyst, so it was terrifying. But 1mg of Ativan via IV "cured" me.

Getting a Holter in two hours and a stress echo next week.

S

Comment

Glad to hear all well for now. Keep us posted.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Working...
          X