If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stress and anxiety

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

delfam Stress made me change professions and now on disability. Find out more about delfam
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress and anxiety

I how a question for all HCM's, How are you handling the stress and anxiety of this disease?

What do you do for the stress and take for med's for the anxiety?

I have a stressful job and family matters and do puzzles and read.

From my time in the hospital at labor day, I have to see a therapist and had a nice day with Lisa which helped. They want to put me on med's for anxiety and depression but I want to get my chess pains until control.

Joe Del
    Joe Del

Diagnosed @ age 45 with HCM June 2004; ICD Implant: September 2004. Fifteen years prior was tested and told had an anxiety attack. Second ICD implanted May 5, 2009 with adding second lead.

My biggest part is the depression and now on disability.

Tested positive for HCM gene and all three children are negative.

Husband and father of three children: Son 18 and two daughters 13 and 7.

I don't know for sure, nobody does, but the meds for the stress and anxiety might actually help the chest pains if you are feeling them when you're particularly stressed or anxious. For us, we go on a bike ride, watch a movie, or play cards to take a mental break.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I’ve got my bike on a trainer, and find that it helps with anxiety to ride every night when I get home from work. It is still really hot here in AZ so the trainer works well. I’m a firm believer in exercise alleviating stress.

Nick

Comment

The "classics" didn't work for me:

Wine - I gained too much weight *and* the cardio objected [true!]

Women - my wonderful wife objected [would be true, or worse, if I tried it]

Song - my neighbors (the ones who aren't tone deaf) objected to the singing [who listens to the neighbors anyway?]

However, going on disability leave from work relieved *alot* of stress! [true!]

Good luck,
        Rob Thomas
        --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
        Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Love it, Rob!

Rhoda

Comment

I have been seeing a therapist for the last three weeks and have discussed the stress and anxiety. I have been doing breathing excises. I got the book "The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook Fifth Edition" by Martha Davis, PhD. I also have been doing Sudoku puzzles.
            Joe Del

Diagnosed @ age 45 with HCM June 2004; ICD Implant: September 2004. Fifteen years prior was tested and told had an anxiety attack. Second ICD implanted May 5, 2009 with adding second lead.

Comment

Are these things working?

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie,

Talking about things with her has helped and reading that book she told me about, I started to read but haven't read it all because I have not had enough time because just the beginning of this week I lost my dog after 14 years.
                Joe Del

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you lost your pet. I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm glad you have someone to talk to, though. I'm sure that helps.

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

I don't think anxiety can be underestimated in the role it plays in HCM patients. I'm a borderline case in HCM and here's why i believe anxiety is so bad. My mum was diagnosed with HCM age 60 (this year). When we worked out the ramifications i.e 50% chance i had it and so on with my children, i freaked out. I had no symptoms. Anyway i was so anxious waiting for my echo i had HCM like symptoms i.e high resting pulse rate i felt nauseous i'd never felt like this before and i do know what stress is (i run a company).

So i had my echo and the echo technician said "you'll be pleased with the results" Well it was if i was completely back to normal again and could continue my life as normal, my symptoms went away and all i was waiting for was the carido's report to verify this.

So cardio's report came back "12mm septum slight thickening nothing too worry about no other symptoms come back in 5 years" Because i'd found this site i was now of the opinion i needed a second opinion with an expert and so my story goes on..... I am no better off 6 months later my septum is 12mm thick, i have a clear ecg, i had my pulse too 200 on the treadmill with no change in my stress echo etc. We are now going too try the Gene test.

One thing that has changed is my symptoms and this is what bothers me, i have become anxious for the first time in my life and don't know if it is the HCM or my state of mind. What are the chances of having no symptoms, then becoming symptomatic after finding out about my mum then feeling better etc. As one cardio technician said to me "this disease screws with your mind" those words are so true.

So i sit and wait trying to work out if i do or don't have HCM. If anyone has any advice please let me know what you have done too ease anxiety as i feel this is my major symptom at the moment.

By the way i think you are all great and Lisa runs a great site.

Just some other small things that might be interesting.

1) A gene test now takes only 6 weeks too get a result (in Australia).

2) The heart renews itself in 6 days i.e the longest a protein lives for before being replaced is 6 days. Hopefully one day if they do find a cure we can all have new hearts in 6 days what a week that would be . Please note i realise a cure is a long way off but i get comfort out of the fact the heart can renew itself.

cheers
                    Glen
                    \"There is no GENE for the human spirit\"

Comment

Glen - your experience struck a chord with me. After being pretty much asymptomatic (handful of occasions felt 'unwell' in a non-specific sort of a way) and having been a competitive cyclist off and on for many, many years I have just been diagnosed with HCM.

It seems almost within hours I started to feel unwell and develop symptoms (light-headedness, chest-pain) where before I had none. I am convinced this is 99% in my head but that doesn't mean I can stop it happening!!

I have toned down my exericse activity a bit based on my cardio's advice but I can't get through the day without fixating on the condition. Now every little thing seems like it's more evidence that I have this condition. I'm hoping this is a phase we all have to go through when first diagnosed. I'm just hoping it ends soon!

Comment

Yes, this is a good subject for me, too. After recovering from near crisis since my diagnosis two weeks ago, I had a further consult today with a cardiologist, where no hope was given for any semblence of my previous life, including my career. Once again nearly asypmtomatic of HCM, the anxiety & stress is pervasive once more. Yoga & a touch healer, and talking have helped, but as of tonight, I've even overcome a reluctance against meds to help with the anxiety. Intellectually I think if I can survive until my ICD, I'll learn to adapt, but emotionally I'm still being stunned & devastated by all that I'm going to have to give up. That includes what has long been my main coping mechanism - exercise, lots of it, in many forms. There's nothing to do but get through this awful transition, and I read of many who have greater difficulties than I. It's just that my troubles are mine, all mine. I look forward to joining you on the other side of this, to becoming positive, to walking through the doors I know must be opening. My advice? Tap any and all resources you find, even if it means you just play along with something you're skeptical about. And hang on to knowing it will get better.
                        Dx\'d Dec 7, 2005. 54yo

Comment

Seattlelite,

I can sympathise with the devastation you must be feeling at the minute having just been diagnosed especially if exercise is a big thing for you as it is for me.

I am now a month on from my previous post and generally feel a lot more comfortable and calm about my diagnosis. I did visit my GP to discuss the anxiety and even got some tranqulisers prescribed but in the end I didn't feel the need to take these. It's been a hard couple of months but I feel I have recovered from the despair of diagnosis to being back to something like my old self. I think this cycle of emotional reaction is typical and completely understandable.

OK - I don't know the details of your diagnosis or your risk profile - although it sounds more serious than mine - but the discussions I have had with my cardio have not precluded exercise per se, rather really intense activity associated with training and racing. I think I have got my head around the fact that I may have to adapt my lifestyle away from the competitive element towards more of the leisure and social element of my hobby. I am also planning to still be involved in the racing scene but maybe as a photographer or writer.

Good luck on your journey back to yourself!

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                          X