If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fizzy drinks & flutters

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Deedee "family heart murmur" detected in early childhood, HCM diagnosed in 2000, ICD 2010 Find out more about Deedee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fizzy drinks & flutters

The last couple of years my heart has been "fluttery" more and more often and for increasing durations. You know the one - the butterfly beating it's wings inside the ribcage trying desperately to get out sorta mixed up with a tingly sensation, maybe a little unpleasant pressure on the windpipe mixed in... will be familiar to most here probably or something like it.

But here's the thing... the other day I noticed I get this after drinking fizzy drinks and before I had it, I was fine all day and once I had it, it strikes with a vengeance. Hmmm. Now a couple of years ago it maybe lasted a few seconds per day but it's been increasing slowly and the other day it lasted for several unpleasant hours. Then the next day nothing and then I had a fizzy drink and guess what... it hit again. Coincidence?

So maybe it's just gas and really has nothing to do with my heart at all. It's non-caffeinated diet fizzy drink too! Any real connection here? What do you think?

Just curious. *big hugs* to all!
    Deedee

ps Howdy everybody hope you're having a great summer

OH and check out my new "heart med" named Tashi, hehe! (I heard this is an officially real heart med too!)
    »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
    Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
    Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
    Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
    Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
    Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
    Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
    ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Deedee, I can't answer your question, but I want to say that I'm glad to hear from you again. Linda

Comment

Deedee - Two thoughts. Sometimes drinking something really cold can cause arrythmias. If your drink was really icy sometimes that can make the flutters happen. Also, I notice that when I have gas in my stomach, I have more problems. I am not sure why there is this correlation, but there is for me.

Nice to see you again.

Cynthia
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

There are several possibilities:

1. I am not so sure that diet "sugar" is so good. You could be getting sensitive to it. Also, people who drink diet pop are fatter than people who don't --new study.
        2. Very cold beverages can be bad.
        3. Bubbles. They give me an upset stomach, which if you are already in a bad place due to cold or chemicals, could make it worse all around.

Suggestions: Reduce or eliminate ice, drink decaf or herbal iced tea with a spoonful or less of sugar.

I took a long time to ween myself from cold, sugary drinks stopping at tea with a ton of sugar and now finally I drink herbal tea (iced or hot) without sugar and water --almost exclusively. I sometimes buy a 100% fruit drink/ shake and cut it with 1/2 to 1/3 water if I want juice.

There are tons of fun herbal teas out there now that are great iced.

S

Comment

Oh yeah, they're very cold yes I hadn't thought of that. With it being summer and all the difference is greater plus I added ice this week which I normally don't. Very good detective work, you guys are sharp!

The herbal teas sound GREAT, I don't take sugar in my teas anyways (ruins a good tea if you ask me) so those sound like a great thing to try. Which ones lend themselves to cold drinks the best? Most? I know some kinds of teas are just terrible cold and some are more suited to it. A nice refreshing cold tea sounds like a great summer drink to me!

I'd love to painlessly get off the diet pop, even tho it's caffeine free, the sweetener in it is apparently a weed killer sold by a weed control company, YUCK that cant' be good for ANYONE's heart!

Oh you know what? My bad, I think Tashi is good for blood pressure, not the heart... well she's good for the heart too, I'm going to stick to my original excuse, hehe!

Deedee
          »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
          Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
          Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
          Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
          Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
          Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
          Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
          ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

About Tashi!

I think you are sooo right! We have just become the staff of Tashi's exact opposite Akasha! While Tashi is snowball colored Akasha is jet Black! She is named for the movie Queen of the Damned! Scary huh! She likes to bite your neck like a vampire! I didn't even know her name when we met but when laying on the couch she nibbled at my neck! She also has six toes!

But I love her!

Mary S.

Comment

Well, you can't go by me since I hate things like mint and coffee and tomato, which most every American adores (at least the ones I know).

I recommend getting some Celestial Seasonings variety packs and see what suits you.

Lemon Zinger is great (to me anyway)

S

Comment

Working...
              X