If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you be in the sun without getting sick?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sarah Find out more about Sarah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be in the sun without getting sick?

It is supposed to take a lot (like four hours of rigorous exercise in the heat) to cause someone to get heatstroke. It takes me about 20 minutes on a hot day without a hat, standing still to get started on a nice case of it.

(Of course, now, I never go anywhere in summer without a hat and a bottle of water and I learned this lesson long ago. And if it is really hot, I just don't even go out. I'll be ordering my groceries online this week.)

I was just wondering if this was HCM-related or just me. I don't seem to sweat much at all.

Thanks!

S

headache -check
    dizziness
    disorientation, agitation or confusion
    sluggishness or fatigue -check
    seizure
    hot, dry skin that is flushed but not sweaty -check
    a high body temperature -check
    loss of consciousness
    rapid heart beat -check
    hallucinations

Addendum: I just found this emed article on heat exhaustion and heat stroke and one of the causes can be beta-blockers! Now, I was getting heat exhaustion before I went on the beta-blockers, but I've been on the for over 20 years, so wow. Also antihistamines, which I also take. I've never seen this info before and I've doctors about this over and over without getting any answers. (insert swear words here). http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic236.htm

Sarah,

One way the body copes with extremes in temperatures is thru constricting and dilating the blood vessels to retain or expel body heat. The beta blockers and some other meds alter that natural response. Those with HCM can already have altered responses which makes it even more difficult to deal with temp changes or extremes. No, it's not just you.

Those same meds that help to manage HCM will make it more difficult for a person to cope with a bout of vomiting and diarrhea. They lose a lot of fluid and the vessels don't constrict as well to maintain the BP. It's just always a balancing act.

By the way, standing still is sometimes more difficult than moving. Moving the legs keeps the muscles contracting and thereby helping the blood return to the heart and lungs, rather than pooling in the legs.

Linda

Comment

Sarah,

I know how you feel. Dehydration is my worst enemy.And it happens so fast I think I've even got Lisa baffled on how easily I dehydrate. Unfortunatly, I never get a warning it seems like I hit a brick wall. One minute I'm fine the next minute I'm almost on the ground. It gets so frustrating especially living in Fl the humidity and heat are both close to 100 most days!

I also think your lack of sweating is a major factor as well. Sweat is pretty much your AC to your body. I'd ask a Dr. about that. My best friend in high school had the same problems to! I could bet on every drill meet she would go down. Which was ironic because we were the company medics. By the time we graduated I was a professional at taking care of heat exhaustion! My EMT professor was even impressed at the different tactics I learned from my high school ROTC days. I miss my ROTC days I would have done them again even if I had known about my HCM!

Just my thoughts!

Mary

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X