If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mision Space Fatality:

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mision Space Fatality:

This one hit close to home. I was on the opening crew on that ride! Some of my friends were working when that happened. It is not easy when a guest dies on your ride! I know the Splash Mountain incident haunts me to this day.

Just some thoughts on that article. It is rumored that the little boy had a heart condition that neither he nor his parents knew about. Yes, the ride is intense but it has been dramatically toned down! Disney tested this ride for about a year before it opened with actual peple many of them cast members but with random guests as well.I rode it months before it opened and wow! I loved every minute of it and I took a HUGE RISK. But, Disney has warned their guests about this ride! As a matter of fact from the front door until the ride you will have seen 27 signs. In the briefing room you are verbally reminded then at the launch deck verbally reminded once again. Then you are verbally told that if you do not want to ride just continue down the hall you can bypass it. It's not like once you get in line your stuck. Also, if the little boy was as scared as he was according to the paper the mother could have said something and the cast member should have noticed. I've yanked plenty of kids off of my rides if they didn't look safe. Esp. at Splash Mt. I won't take the chance of a kid bailing out of a log and getting hurt. And yes I've mad plenty a parent mad about it but it is the rules. Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficancy.

Now with that being said. This ride is intense. It has the nick name of Vomit Comet for a reason. I have been puked on more times at that attraction than in my EMT career. Oh, by the way more than 7 people have visited celebration hospital after riding this ride. I've had to call Reedy Creek out on several occasions! But, you know what bothers me most is this. I typically work at the end of the ride doing the show. So, that is where most people get sick at. On many occasions this has happened here is one example.A "coordinator" (a cast member with a radio) shows up and tells me to go back to my area. I didn't feel comfortable with it because the guy was looking bad. As an EMT once I offer help to him by law I cannot leave. I told the coordinator that I'm an EMT and was not supposed to leave until equally qualified help had arrived and he threatened to tell my manager! So, in front of everybody I asked him if the person went into cardiac arrest what would he do. "Wait for the ambulance he said" I shook my head and said "that is why I have to stay". So, he told the manager and it was strongly suggested that I not go over and help an ill patient send another cast member!

Oh, and by the way Mission Space was back up and running that night! Not the next day!

Mary S.

I can't believe you got reported for trying to help people. Another reason why I refuse to buy anything Disney, even for my niece. She gets Hello Kitty stuff from me or generic princess stuff, but not a single Disney thing. (Her grandparent's are a different story).

It is so sad about the boy, but it seems like 7 is young for such a violent ride. I know you have to pass a height test and kids are so big these days --I have a 13 year-old cousin who is 5'11"!!!

Whenver I hear "heart condition they didn't know about," or "heart condition that wasn't serious" HA! I think HCM!

I hope Disney gets a clue.

Comment

Mission Space - yuck

Mary,

I went on it a couple of weeks ago. Yes, they mentioned the restrictions at least 10 times. I should not have done, but I did not want to let HCM rule my life. Actually, if I listened to the restrictions I should not go on several rides.

As it ended up, Mission Space is the only ride which got to me. It is VERY intense. I was wishing for it to end. Also, it is the only ride I felt woosy after. I actually ended up with Vertigo a few days later. Was it Mission Space, who knows?

I do know I will NOT go back on this ride. I did Test Track and was fine.

Jerry

Comment

ride

As Mary has said they do have several warnings. Last year when we went to Disney my son who has anICD wanted to try it, he has gone on everything else wit no problem. But we red all the warnings and talked to someone who works at the ride, not even knowin my son had a heart problem talked him out of going on it. He felt most kids shoul not go on it. I wasn't going to let him on it anyway but in my opinion this ride should not be allowed for kids under 15 at least. But most of all we as parents should get as much info on any ride before we let our kids on them.

Karen
        Karen Cicconetti
        Heart Transplant 1998
        Don\'t take your organs to heaven
        Heaven knows we need them here

Comment

Karen,

If your son wants to know what the ride is like without the intensity I actually have it taped and can e-mail it to you. The views and other things are actually really cool!

Mary S.

Comment

Mary

That would be great. Thank you this is a very kind thing to do.

Karen
            Karen Cicconetti
            Heart Transplant 1998
            Don\'t take your organs to heaven
            Heaven knows we need them here

Comment

Working...
            X