If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot tub?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

PamR Find out more about PamR
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michael obrien
    replied
    hi Darren good to hear from you.I remember a few months ago you had posted that your son might/or did have hcm.I was wondering how you and your family are doing.also you had posted that you cant walk without your heartrate getting up to 100bpm.before beta blockers my resting h.r. was probably 100bpm.now thank God its around 55.take care mike ps I would love to run 5 miles again.enjoy every minute of it.I definitely took my health for granted.take care mike

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    replied
    wow, MIke! good for you! I couldn't agree more...I am trying to lose weight so my heart won't have to work as hard...it does have to work extra hard when you have excess weight to carry around. It's nice weather now and am going to try to walk as much as I can. Mary, that's pretty much what Drs.Maron and Udelson had told me at my first visit with them 2 years ago...Dr. Udelson said live your life..the only restriction is mountain climbing!

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied
    Exactly!

Mike,

You have taken the words right out of my mouth! Couldn't agree more...

Leave a comment:

• michael obrien
    replied
    Hi everyone,I think that(atleast from my experience) their has been alot of conflicting opinions from drs etc.I went to see one cardiologist,and when I left I thought he was going to recommend a funeral director.all that accomplished was to scare me half to death.I have formulated a plan I try and stay active.I walk almost everydaysometimes slow and when I feel good I walk a little faster.I have noticed that since I have been walking I can go further and feel better in general.for example a In may june of last year I couldnt walk a mile.now I have walked 4.5 miles with no symptoms.I think that I need to walk a fine line.I cant do so much that I stres out my heart,but I need to graduallybuild up my endurance so that I can do things without my heart stressing out.I believe that if I stay sedentary not only will I gain weight,but my heart will have to work harder.I want my heart and entire circulatory system to work less,and that can only happen with activity.slow gradual and deliberate activity.If I stay on the couch,The day might come when my getting off it is not my choice anymore.feel good mike ..I just wanted to add that I know their are those of us that cant do much right now,and Iam not speaking to them,I have spent days in the past where I could not get out of bed,and to all of those that are having a difficult time right now I send you my prayers.take care mike

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied
    Hot Tub.

I agree with both of you... Life is a choice. Live.

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Good for you Cynthia. I am so sick and tired of being told you can't do this and you can't do that. I think the last time I was up in Boston Dr. Maron got a feel of how it was ruling my life. that is when he told me" do what you can feel like you can do. You have your AICD so I'm not afraid of cardiac arrest. He said that what I did and how much was up to me and that when my limits needed to change I would do it. He said you're an adult and that is how I am going to treat you." So, I guess I finally realized I am at a point I can't do things anymore and I told him. That is when he said then it is time to look at a transplant.

I know I got a lot of flack from people saying that I overdid it too much. But, I needed to know this for myself. My belief is no one can tell you what you can't do. It is your discision. I did ask him though if I did the right things and he said "Absolutly, you did everything you could have, when you relized you couldnt't do your tech work you took a sit down job. You took every medication there was. Nope there was nothing different you could have done!" I was relieved,

So, I guess what I'm trying to say it is ultimatly our choice. Wether it is playing that game of basketball, enjoying a drink, or sitting in a hot tub. We have all been forewarned and it is OUR CHOICE.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    replied
    I have to agree somewhat with Jim and Tim - you can't give up some things you enjoy in life. I think it depends on the person and to what degree they have HCM symptoms also. I go into afib occasionally and have thought that eating Chinese food (containing MSG) or eating chocolate can make me go into afib..maybe it can and maybe it was coincidental. I have lived for the past 2 years constantly thinking am I going to go into afib and afraid to take a few sips from an alcoholic beverage or eat chocolate which I love! I will admit, I really miss my frequent Kahlua sombreros! What I do now is base it on how my heart has been feeling and if I have had a run of good days, I will have a drink...you can't give up everything you enjoy in life and I've made up my mind that I'm not. I have put off going to Hawaii to visit my brother, for the past year and made up my mind just days ago that I am going. I kept saying...what if, what if....what if I go into AFIB on the plane?? Then I read a thread on the website about lower oxygen when traveling on a plane and may cause tachycardia, etc. It bothered me at first but I can't live my life this way --- My husband and my son have a right to enjoy themselves...I've wallowed in self-pity long enough...

Leave a comment:

• BlueDevil
    replied
    I'm with Jim and Mary on this...

But I'll further say that we have to evaluate these sorts of things on a case-by-case basis. Some people can tolerate things like hot tubs better than others.

I'm also tired of hearing can't-can't-can't all the time with regard to this disorder. If I had to give up every single thing that has been talked about here as detrimental to a person with HCM...let's just say I would not be a happy camper. I want my champagne, my foofy tiki drinks, and thrill rides. I refuse to drink decaffeinated coffee, and I won't give up Coca-Cola. I like relaxing in a tub of hot water, with a bath bomb thrown in for good measure. I want to be in the best physical shape I can possibly be under the parameters I have to work with.

When I was first diagnosed and given all the "can't"s, all it did for me was foster self-pity and a victim mentality.

-- Tim

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Boy, wouldn't that be interesting! We could all go chasing bubbles then. Thanks Rhoda I needed that.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    replied
    Careful, careful, Mary! Don't knock the soapbox over into the hot tub!

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    yeah, I'm agree with Jim too. I feel like I've given up enough to this wretched disease. With the way my whole back and neck feel right now. I'd pay alot to get into a hot tub. I've never liked saunas. But, every day right now I just stand in the shower with the warm water pounding on me. And at my chiro office the heat treatment they do oh man is it wonderful. I think I could lay for hours under the moist heat. I get about an hour of mobility after the forty minutes of combined ultra sound and heat therapy.

Well, I'm getting off of the soapbox of HCM.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• michael obrien
    replied
    hi everyone I would like to agree with jim on this one.I have always had lower back pain(I was born with spinal bifida occulta),and slight scoliosis.I dont frequently use hot tubs or saunas ,but on occasion I will indulge.I tend to gradually acclimate myself to the temperature and dont completely submerge myself.I stay a short amount of time.I would also like to add that I drink a ton of water daily.I keep bottled water in my car and drink it every chance I get.when in the sauna its only for a few minutes to do some light stretching,but I really enjoy it.I would like to add that if my heart was acting up ,or I didnt feel right that day I would avoid any type of stress.I hope all are well take care mike

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    I remember , years before I was diagnosed , I would work out regularly at Bally's. Always swam and then got into the hot tub after. Took me 2 times to figure that my heart acted really funny clipppity clop and also felt as if something in my chest clamped down and I got dizzy. I did not have a clue as to why, but stayed away from there and the sauna cause it had the same effect. Too bad I think they can really help arthritis.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• PamR
    replied
    Thanks for the responses- not exactly what I wanted to hear but I'd rather know now than after we buy it. Most of my symptoms are exacerbated when I'm tired or have just eaten, I never really noticed the heat. But I haven't spent much time in hot tubs. I love the water, having grown up by the beach on Cape Cod, and we don't have water/pool etc. so I thought this might be a reasonable way to float...I'll find another- maybe a small pool...

Leave a comment:

• Ad
    replied
    I tend to get a 'restless' heart and sometimes Afib when i cannot get rid of any redundant body warmth - either from exercise or the sun, the heating or whatever. If i don't start to 'strip' then, i can get very uncomfortable. Sometimes you just can't strip enough

I dislike feeling cold, but i feel better then as far as my heart is concerned. Staying under the shower too long

Ad

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X