If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot tub?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

PamR Find out more about PamR
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot tub?

I have HCM, had a myectomy 2 yrs ago, and have an ICD. We're getting ready to build a new deck and put in a hot tub...my question is whether there is any problem with having HCM and using a hot tub. I emailed my doc at CCF and he said no but I'm second guessing him based on one of the pictures from the annual meeting where Dr. Omman had a slide on alcohol and hot tubs- but I wasn't there and don't know the context. Can anyone help me out with this before I start the project?
    Thanks.
    Diagnosed 8/2002, Myectomy (CCF) 3/2003, ICDs 2003,2006 (fired once appropriately), FT researcher, wife and mom of 2 boys (17 and 20).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when Dr. Ommen was talking about hot tubs, he was saying that they are not a good idea with HCM. He said that hot tubs and saunas tend to dehydrate people, and that this is bad for HCMers. These activities can get us into trouble. They are also vasodilators which can worsen obstruction and cause fainting, etc.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Personal insight, here. Shortly after I was diagnosed with HCM, I used a hot tub at a friend's house. She was a nurse and questioned whether I was supposed to get in a hot tub, but I said that HCM was different, and I had not been told to avoid it, so I thought it was fine. I felt like I had no problems while I was in the tub. But I had severe arrhythmias all night afterwards. My guess was that the salts and dehydration were a problem.

When I talked with the doctor he had an additional perspective. He said that he was not a doctor who thought that all heart patients should avoid hot tubs. He said that if someone had a low ejection fraction, the increased circulation might be advantageous. But he would never recommend hot tubs for HCM patients, who have overworked hearts already. Made sense to me. It is hard to stay out of them here because there are a lot of geothermal springs in Beijing and the university often sponsors a trip to these. It is hard to pass up such opportunities, but I go and enjoy the cooler pools and pass on the hot spas.

Rhoda

Comment

hot tubs are not recommended for those with HCM. sorry...

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I LOVE to soak in warm water. My morning shower is the equivalent to most people's morning cup of coffee--how I start my day. I love natural hot springs. Maybe even 15 years ago we made a home made hot tub and were very excited about this luxury. It was probably even a few years before I found I had HCM. But I'd get in and start soaking and floating and loving it, but in just a few minutes I'd be uncomfortable and want to get out--this seemed so odd because I looked forward to it so much (and it took so long to heat up the water, etc.) Pretty soon I just quit using it. Now I understand that probably my heart was starting to work harder and speed up and tell me to quit it, for the reasons others have mentioned. Lisa Inman

Comment

Well...

I get in my folks hottub every chance I can, despite the fact that I know I'm not supposed to do it. I've given up enough for HCM right now... no drinking, no smoking (not even the whacky stuff), no weightlifting, no archaeology, watch the salt, watch the caffeine, blah blah blah. Anybody tells me I have to give up even one more thing and you're going to find me in an assylum. LoL.

We all do things we know we're not supposed to from time to time... HCM or not. It's called living your life, and you can't give up everything.

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I was exhausted from working all weekend to get a house ready to go up for sale and thought a nice, hot bath would do me some good.

Um, no. I went into afib after 20 minutes in the tub --and this was the episode that led to my stroke. Oops.

It was only the second time I'd had afib, the first being from alcohol.

S

Comment

I tend to get a 'restless' heart and sometimes Afib when i cannot get rid of any redundant body warmth - either from exercise or the sun, the heating or whatever. If i don't start to 'strip' then, i can get very uncomfortable. Sometimes you just can't strip enough

I dislike feeling cold, but i feel better then as far as my heart is concerned. Staying under the shower too long

Ad
                \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Thanks for the responses- not exactly what I wanted to hear but I'd rather know now than after we buy it. Most of my symptoms are exacerbated when I'm tired or have just eaten, I never really noticed the heat. But I haven't spent much time in hot tubs. I love the water, having grown up by the beach on Cape Cod, and we don't have water/pool etc. so I thought this might be a reasonable way to float...I'll find another- maybe a small pool...
                  Diagnosed 8/2002, Myectomy (CCF) 3/2003, ICDs 2003,2006 (fired once appropriately), FT researcher, wife and mom of 2 boys (17 and 20).

Comment

I remember , years before I was diagnosed , I would work out regularly at Bally's. Always swam and then got into the hot tub after. Took me 2 times to figure that my heart acted really funny clipppity clop and also felt as if something in my chest clamped down and I got dizzy. I did not have a clue as to why, but stayed away from there and the sauna cause it had the same effect. Too bad I think they can really help arthritis.

Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

hi everyone I would like to agree with jim on this one.I have always had lower back pain(I was born with spinal bifida occulta),and slight scoliosis.I dont frequently use hot tubs or saunas ,but on occasion I will indulge.I tend to gradually acclimate myself to the temperature and dont completely submerge myself.I stay a short amount of time.I would also like to add that I drink a ton of water daily.I keep bottled water in my car and drink it every chance I get.when in the sauna its only for a few minutes to do some light stretching,but I really enjoy it.I would like to add that if my heart was acting up ,or I didnt feel right that day I would avoid any type of stress.I hope all are well take care mike
                      One day at a time.

Comment

yeah, I'm agree with Jim too. I feel like I've given up enough to this wretched disease. With the way my whole back and neck feel right now. I'd pay alot to get into a hot tub. I've never liked saunas. But, every day right now I just stand in the shower with the warm water pounding on me. And at my chiro office the heat treatment they do oh man is it wonderful. I think I could lay for hours under the moist heat. I get about an hour of mobility after the forty minutes of combined ultra sound and heat therapy.

Well, I'm getting off of the soapbox of HCM.

Mary S.

Comment

Careful, careful, Mary! Don't knock the soapbox over into the hot tub!

Rhoda

Comment

Boy, wouldn't that be interesting! We could all go chasing bubbles then. Thanks Rhoda I needed that.

Mary S.

Comment

I'm with Jim and Mary on this...

But I'll further say that we have to evaluate these sorts of things on a case-by-case basis. Some people can tolerate things like hot tubs better than others.

I'm also tired of hearing can't-can't-can't all the time with regard to this disorder. If I had to give up every single thing that has been talked about here as detrimental to a person with HCM...let's just say I would not be a happy camper. I want my champagne, my foofy tiki drinks, and thrill rides. I refuse to drink decaffeinated coffee, and I won't give up Coca-Cola. I like relaxing in a tub of hot water, with a bath bomb thrown in for good measure. I want to be in the best physical shape I can possibly be under the parameters I have to work with.

When I was first diagnosed and given all the "can't"s, all it did for me was foster self-pity and a victim mentality.

-- Tim
                              Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X