If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise again--- being overweight versus exercising.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sandylevitt Find out more about sandylevitt
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exercise again--- being overweight versus exercising.

I'm sorry, I wish I did have some ideas.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I used to weigh 110 lbs. After having been diagnosed to have HCM with obstruction, I was advised to take it easy. I limited my activities and stopped exercising (aerobics and ballroom dancing). I now tip the scale at 130 lbs. My fat deposited mainly at my midsection. I am barely 5 feet tall. I hated seeing myself while I was in the bathroom. My friends who had seen me now usually blurt, jokingly (I hope), “What has happened to you? I thought you were sick or something! How come you’re fat?” Well I could only smile, but my pride is deeply hurt. I refused to go out socially. I was so depressed. I have asked God, what good is being alive when I am not happy with myself? I believe God answered me through my husband. When my husband knew what was causing my depression, he told me that I should focus more on improving myself and my condition instead of self-pitying. My husband, my children, my nephews and nieces, my sister and my brother, even my three-year old grandson poured out their love and support. They encouraged me and prayed for my re-entry to the mainstream of life. It was not easy but I have learned to love my new self.

I am now on cardiac rehab. I am slowly exercising to be able to resume my normal activities. Some days, I feel fine, some days, I feel low. I am gradually learning to read myself. When I feel fine, I push myself a little bit more… I mean, with activities that I enjoy, including belly dancing (ha ha ha!). When I feel low, I get some rest and take it easy.

Alma
      Last edited by prettymom; 07-26-2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

The only thing I can think of for those of you stuck at 100 bpm is to ask your doctor about switching off beta blockers to maybe a calcium channel blocker.
        First major HCM symptoms at age 50
        ICD 6/06

Comment

I have always been under the impression that as long as you burn more calories than you eat, you should be able to lose weight no matter what your heart rate is. A "target" is just that, a target even if you you don't hit it, you are burning calories if you are moving.
          Live, Love, Laugh

Comment

Originally posted by morgan
            I have always been under the impression that as long as you burn more calories than you eat, you should be able to lose weight no matter what your heart rate is.
            Good point Morgan...

It seems like burning those calories though is next to impossible if you're saddled with a very low exercise heart rate, which is why a lot of us get discouraged. I think that's what Sandy was addressing in her original post. Are we left primarily with dieting as our main strategy for weight loss, or do we push the guidelines a bit and take our chances with more intensive exercise? It's hard to know what to do.

The first link below is to a study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, where they studied the negative effects of beta blockers on exercise metabolism in healthy individuals. One group was given celiprolol, one group was given atenolol, and the rest were given a placebo. After four days on the meds they were all put on a treadmill for two hours and worked out at equal intensity levels. The results showed that fat oxidation was significantly lower for those on beta blockers... 36.6% lower for the atenolol group alone... while performing exactly the same exercise and intensity as the control group. And that's on a 50mg dose of atenolol. Many folks here take much higher doses than that, so it's easy to see how the weight loss issue is tough.

Reference articles:

http://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/cgi/cont...tract/31/2/120

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/37/2/250

Jim
            Last edited by mtlieb; 07-28-2006, 02:07 AM.
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

About a year ago I was reading through this little book my my fiance picked up at the grocery store. It said:

the daily recommended allowence for women was 2000 calories, 70 grams of fat, with only 20 grams of saturated fat

the daily recommended allowence for men was 2500 calories, 87 grams of fat, with only 26 grams of saturated fat.

I thought to myself this cant work, but wanting to lose some weight to see if it helped with my symptoms I tried it out. I went from 220 to 192 in 2.5 months.The weight loss was noticeable, Dr Maron said he could even tell. Since then I put about 10 pounds back on, but it worked. The suckiest thing about it to me was having to read and remember everything I ate. It probably would have been better if I could have exercised also, but alot of us HCM'ers cant.

Comment

Working...
              X