If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proud mom

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud mom

Hi everyone!
    As you know having HCM in the family leads us to be creative when finding activities for our kids. My daughter Becca has taken up English riding and horsemenship. If you told me 2 years ago I would be hanging around barns in my spare time I would have thought you were nuts!

Well here we are and Becca had her 2nd show today and for only 2 and 1/2 months of lessons she is doing remarkable - she placed 4th today and competed with girls much older than she! Last weekend she jumped a horse for the first time - she was thrilled with herself!

Here are some photos of Becca today - http://www.4hcm.org/gallery/JustFun

Mom is done bragging now!

Take care!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: Proud mom

So cute , thank you for sharing these great photos. Congratulations to you Becca for placing so well. What a sweet faced horse. And your names go great together.

I always wanted to ride horses we had shetland ponies growing up and I rode like the dickens bare backed. Oftentimes they would decide they wanted to eat the sweet grass in the middle of a fast trot and head went down, off I'd fly landing in the tall grass. My favorite was GOLDIE a Palomino.When I grew up I ended up buying my little sister a quarter horse when she was 13,I was 23 at the time. We have the best memories from those days.Her name is Lisa also.

Lisa you and Becca will always have great times with her showing and riding and you taking care and all as her watchfull loving mom. Enjoy every minute with her . Our children grow up too fast.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks Pam!

Pam, this is Becca - do you have any pictures of your old horses? Mom said I can post more pictures after the next show!
      Bye,
      Becca

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hi Becca,

I'll have to go to my mom's and dig them out. Of course I will try to do that. The silver dappled pony was pretty too , his name was Pal but he could be nasty at times ansd he nipped. My sisters horse was named Sasha, she was real sweet. She lived to be 33 and is buried across the street in the field. She was 15 when we got her and had been a barrel , rodeo, horse so she did figure 8's real well. When we first got Sasha I told my sister I would ride her 1st to make it safe. Well I was so excited I didn't tighten the cinch enough and she inhaled deeply when I was saddeling her. You quessed it I took the 1st corner and off I flew, the saddle went around under her belly . I was lucky she was a good height at 17 hands so i did not hurt anything more then my pride. . My sister never fell off . She thought I was a big goof and still does. I quess I am.

I think you will have much joy and excitement in your life ,with horses. After my pony experiences as a young girl my mom and dad decided my brother and I should showw pure bred cows Imagine that? I had to use my imagination and pretend I was riding a horse whenever I showed them. True story I sware. That is why I bought my sister the horse I wanted her dreams to be fulfilled and they were. She still loves horses and all animals and is entering the pre- vet program full time this fall at age 41. She will do it too . I always wanted to be a vet too cause I started real young working with animals and doctoring them here on the farm. My parents told me I had to be a nurse. I 'm glad I did , People , animals according to some people like JIM here on the board, we are all the same.

I have enjoyed sharing with you Becca and I will dig out those pics.

Pam
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Way to go Becca!!
          Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

This is mom typing and Becca talking-
            Becca wants you to know that BeeJee is a sweetheart - but nips when you are getting her girth on . She tries to bite - but never does! Becca wants to be a vet or a zoo keeper at this point. She was going to be a doctor but has changed her mind thus far...time will tell! BeeJee is a school horse at the barn and she is 33 years old - and still jumping - she is really something. She likes to canter and is still very active. We know she is old and she and Becca are having fun now - we know there are other horses in our future but for now Becca and BeeJee are a great team! BeeJee is a wonderful teacher!

Thank you for sharing your horse stories with me.

Becca

Currently not obstructed

Comment

You are Welcome. I look foward to seeing more pctures of you and BeeJee. I hope all your dreams come true , no matter what you decide to be you will be successfull. Way To Go Becca!!!

Comment

Hi Becca,
                Believe it or not, when I was a youngster (pre-teen) I was a horseback riding instructor. My specialty was teaching other kids to ride. Seeing me, they became less afraid and would try new things more easily. I also worked when large groups went out and they needed a few trained riders to hold the group together. I still have a scar on my shin where a horse kicked me when he didn’t want to be hurried.

I enjoyed it a lot, especially those three hour rides to a restaurant that had a hitching post where we tied up the horses and had lunch before heading back. This was on Long Island, but I also rode instruction for a short time in Central Park.

In time my daughter also became involved with horses and used to compete in jumping events. On Long Island we had a big house on over one and a half acres, and my daughter wanted to build a stable in the back to keep a horse. It was woods, so there would be no place for the horse to have a field to stay in, so it never happened. Our neighbor had a horse though.

Enjoy yourself with the horses. You will learn a lot about a lot more then just the horses. It is a wonderful experience. Enjoy every minute.
                Burt

Comment

Hi Becca and Mom,

Great photos. I used to be a bit of a rider myself at one time... maybe we can all go riding sometime when there's an HCMA meeting. I'll have to lose a few pounds first though... i wouldn't want the horse to be as short of breath as i am.

Have fun, and good job at the show!

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hey Becca and Lisa,

I was a horse person too. I used to show American Saddlebred horses all over the southeast. The last horse I had was a 5-gaited horse named Symbol's Bright Jewell. I called her Julie. I will e-mail you a picture. I would post it here, but I am afraid I don't know how.

I didn't jump, but Saddlebreds compete by going around a ring doing different gaits. You will see from the picture.

Cynthia
                    Daughter of Father with HCM
                    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi Becca,

Great pictures. You and BeeJee lock like you were made for each other. My daughter Claire leaves next week for college. Her major is Pre-Vet equine science. She has been addicted to horses for years. I like horses also, but I hate when they curl-up at the foot of my bed...

Tigger1
                      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X