If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after a Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

atydev Find out more about atydev
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after a Myectomy

I had my myectomy just 6 wks ago and I am beginning to push myself to get my strength back. I also had a double valve replacement at the same time. I am not sure if my symptoms are from still not being 100% or the HOCM. I am still very aware of my heart beat and I don't mean just the ticking of my new valves. I can feel it beating in my neck not in my eyes like before so I guess it is somewhat better. I get a pounding in my chest and back sometimes. I am still very tired most of the time. I do get short of breath and even have involentary gasping for air. I get shaky and still will break out in a sweat with minor activity. I have not noticed any fainting spells so that is gone I hope. I do get a light headed feeling sometimes and I yawn all the time. I chalk that up to a lack of oxygen. The lightheadedness is happening many times a day. What do you think. I am only on Atenelol and coumidin and 81mg aspirian. Am I just pushing it or is it still the effects of the disease?
    April
    Mitral & Aortic valve replacement w/St. Jude valve HOCM -myectomy 6/21/04
    EP Procedure 4-19-04 Wolfe Parkinson
    Heart Attack 4-19-04
    Stroke 6-03
    Bacterial Endocridites 6-03

Re: after a Myectomy

It is not easy to answer your post - What does your echo show, is there any gradient? What is your septal measurement? both pre and post procedure.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Re: after a Myectomy

I think it is important to realize hear that it has only been 6 weeks and you have had a lot done to that thick heart of yours. # 1 try to be patient ,we each have our individual timetable. My plain old myectomy was almost 10 months ago and it has only been more recently that some of my endurance has returned and remained patent for a period of time. My B-I-L had his valve ;mitral repaired in Jan. He is still very easilly fatigued albeit very active . He recently returned to the surgeon as his chest incision was draining a little and it was clicking. Guess what the surgeon told him after all the tests proved negative? "I TOLD YOU IT WOULD TAKE A YEAR,HEART SURGERY IS MAJOR SURGERY." He also said listen to your body if it is not responding to demand then maybe you are pushing too hard. He also lowered his beta blocker a bit to ease off the extreme fatigue and this along with the docs explanation has helped.

For me some of the things you are reporting at 6 weeks did happen to me , Remember there is residual fluid trapped in the pleural space as a result of surgery and it takes time for it to be reabsorbed by your body. I felt very SOB and my heart pounded. During that time I must have contracted a flu bug as I ran a fever and got very ,very sick. After inconclussive finding but a visual that the fluid had not decreased but actually increased , they decided to tap the pleural space and drain the fluid. Thankfully the cultures were negative and I improved . For some that little extra is too much for others their body can handle it and absorb it. I have heard of people draining thousands of CC's for me it was about 850, like 3/4 of an IV bag.

As far as the yawning , which I did but also had an involutary sigh that kept recurring and everyone kept saying"why are you doing that?" I was told that it is the lungs response to trying to bring in more O2 that is apparently needed. I also remember that some people have this response when there beta is lowered and then it goes away after a bit. I was dropped from 300mgs daily of Atenolol to 50mgs post surgery. That is an abrupt change and we know beta's are supposed to be withdrawn. I now take 200mgs daily. That was increased gradually as I needed more.

Going back to the time table of healing. Rememember when you recover from a flu bug and you are weak and sweaty and not up to snuff? Well this is way bigger then any flu you ever had.

My suggestion is that you call your doc and discuss these things . Make sure you check your temp if you feel warm or sweaty and report this immediately to your doc.
      Take it slow don't flog yourself ,if things don't improve and you feel lousey get onthe horn to your doc. That's what your insurance is paying for . Recovery is a cojoined effort. Another words you are not alone.

Best Wishes . Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X