If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving and ICDs

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

coffinam Find out more about coffinam
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving and ICDs

Hello! I wonder who here drives, especially if you have an ICD? There is the obvious concern of the ICD's going off while behind the wheel, so I wonder if its ever been a problem for anyone, if you've been able to stop when you sensed a shock coming, and, if you don't drive, how you get around?

Re: Driving and ICDs

I have had an ICD for ..WOW WAIT A MINUTE>>>> THIS MY ANNIVERSARY! - 7 years ago TODAY I had my ICD implanted - (no joke I really did not remember until I replied to your message )

I have had near syncope behind the wheel - both pre and post ICD implant. It happened once before and once after. Thus I have give the matter a great deal of thought. I look at it this way - IF I did not have an ICD and had a cardiac arrest behind the wheel it is rather a sure thing that I would die and possibly someone else - this thought scared me very much. Post ICD I know that it is possible that I would still have such an event and due to air bags and ICD would likely be OK - I still worry about hurting others. I know enough to know that you can NEVER be 100% sure that you or anyone else on the roads are going to be OK and that there are 1000000 things that can happen behind the wheel.

I also know that I have a few seconds -some may not- when I know "something" is not "right" - If I ever feel that I pull over. This has happened a handful of times in my life - all without major issues. The time I felt like I was going to black out post ICD I was on Rt 80 in NJ in the middel lane doing 65mph - OK maybe 70 - I got the car off to the side of the road - waved down a car and was taken to the hospital right off the side of the road - NO ICD fire - and home in 3 hours. It took me a while to be confortable enough to drive on a big highway - OK about 1 month - I do tend to stick to the "slow lane".

YOU must be sure YOU are comfortable driving - if you have any doubts, I would not do it.

99% of those with HCM who want to drive do - a few need to get their meds and treatment squared away and I am sure will again drive.

Be well,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
    X