If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yawning during exercise

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Deedee "family heart murmur" detected in early childhood, HCM diagnosed in 2000, ICD 2010 Find out more about Deedee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curt
    replied
    Re: yawning during exercise

I yawn when on an excercise bike also, not because of oxygen needs, but because riding an exercise bike is about as exciting as watching paint dry!

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied
    Hi Y'all,
    Sarah, as usual you hit the head of the nail - right.

When I swam I used to start to yawn so I took to holding my breath. My record so far is three hours, twenty-seven minutes, forty-five seconds.
    Now I just lay around at the bottom of the pool.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    I took a tai chi class and experienced this phenomena and the master (instructor) explained that the body not used to exercising will yawn a lot when the energy and oxygen gets moving around. yawning expels the excess you create from the increased activity.

once you are exercising regularly it usually goes way as your body adapts.

S

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    I think he 's digging up some buried treasure. Remember he is an archaeologist?

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    replied
    hey, Jim...is that you in your avatar picture...doing what??

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

When I first had my myectomy , I yawned a great deal and had many episodes of involuntary sighs. The sighs lasted about 2-3 months in decreasing amounts. The yawns occur at intervals around exercise and demand presently as you have mentioned. When I sighed , my family would tell me to stop it; as if I could control it.

I felt at the time that it was related to oxygen demand or need and my doctor agreed . My Pcp stated it is the bodies need for extra oxygen that results in the sigh or yawn phenomena.

Oh hum , I think I feel like a nap, yawn.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Bettie
    replied

I seem to yawn when I am in water aerobics. I mentioned this to Dr. Lever , and he didn't think that it had anything to do with my hocm.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    replied

Deedee,

I yawn when I take my walks. I never thought anything of it till you mentioned it. It always made me go faster so I could get home and take a nap.

Tigger1

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied

How funny -- I yawned 4 times while reading this!!
    And it is not that late in Phoenix (9:20pm).

I yawn during exertion and after I eat a big meal (which I don't do often, I eat small meals). And of course when I am very tired.

Eileen

Leave a comment:

• Deedee
    replied

Nice to see you too Jim and everyone - I certainly know how to lay low unless I have a question don't I - my bad but I've just been totally out of the loop all year as I lost my cardiologist (we can't get along and are not on speaking terms any longer) so I've just been concentrating on other things I guess.

Anyways, y'all make me laugh and giggle too, not yawn!! LOL

I'll just yawn thru it - I think it was my schedule being messed up that was causing it. It seems to be a bit better now. I need to keep up the good work as I spent a fortune on the exbike. It's so pretty tho, hehe If you wanna see a pic of it, click here.

Ok, now everybody that needs to, finish up your juice and cookies because it's nap time...

Deedee

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

Oh i do and had to fight to keep from yawning reading these posts.but yes i do yawn alot anymore, in fact i could lay down and take a nap right now but i won't because i have grandkids here today

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

Oh MY! I yawned when reading this post!!!!!!!!!! then read Jims post and had to yawn and laugh at the same time!

No I can not say that I yawn when excercising.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Okay, how many other folks here have yawned while reading DeeDee's post??? LoL. Talk about the power of suggestion! I've yawned at least a half dozen times already

DeeDee... it's so nice to hear from you! I think ten miles a day is great! It would take me a whole lot longer than an hour right now to bike that far... and that's if i made it at all. Keep up the good work!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Cynaburst
    replied

DeeDee - I have noticed the same phenomenon when I exercise. I just keep going, and keep yawning.

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X