If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yawning during exercise

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Deedee "family heart murmur" detected in early childhood, HCM diagnosed in 2000, ICD 2010 Find out more about Deedee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yawning during exercise

I recently got a recumbent exbike and I'm up to ten miles a day now without pushing things as it takes me a whole hour to do that, but I think that's a good start. But there is one problem that is bugging me... when I get going the urge to yawn starts up and sometimes I have to yawn dozens of times while trying to do my workout. This is REALLY annoying and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it or has experienced something similar.

Thanks,
    Deedee
    »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
    Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
    Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
    Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
    Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
    Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
    Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
    ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Re: yawning during exercise

Hi Deedee,
    It’s funny, I was just thinking about Vancouver and Victoria. I worked a contract just north of Seattle for over a year and we would drive up and take the ferry across to Victoria about twice a month. We had a favorite hotel right in the inner harbor, and having a car, hit many of the places around the southern end of the island. It was, and I’m sure still is, a wonderful/beautiful place.

About your yawning while exercising, try taking deep breaths while peddling away on the bike. Obviously you are using up more oxygen then you are currently breathing in, causing you to yawn and take a deep breath. Researchers have found that most people who yawn at the end of the day have triggered that response by slowing down their breathing in preparation for sleep. Your body does not use as much oxygen when sleeping, so your breathing becomes slower and shallower. However, if you are still awake and your blood oxygen level drops, your body tries to adjust it by causing you to yawn.

If you tie your breathing full breaths of air in rhythm with your peddling I think you will enjoy it even more, and stop yawning as a result. If you happen to peddle past this neck of the woods on your exercise bike, by all means, please drop by.
    Burt

Comment

I think I actually have been by near you a few times as I moved here a few years ago from Phoenix. Yeah - I know yawning is not getting enough oxygen but I've never had a problem with low oxygen levels in my life before so this is weird. I participate in quite a few sports and never experienced this annoying problem until the last few days. Hopefully it will just go away as quick as it came on.

Vancouver Island is quite beautiful but I wish the medical services were a lot better than they are. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.

I will try to make an effort to do some deeper breathing and hope it helps. Just sort of wondered if this was standard or familiar to anyone, for me it's just completely out of the blue.

Comment

DeeDee - I have noticed the same phenomenon when I exercise. I just keep going, and keep yawning.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Okay, how many other folks here have yawned while reading DeeDee's post??? LoL. Talk about the power of suggestion! I've yawned at least a half dozen times already

DeeDee... it's so nice to hear from you! I think ten miles a day is great! It would take me a whole lot longer than an hour right now to bike that far... and that's if i made it at all. Keep up the good work!

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Oh MY! I yawned when reading this post!!!!!!!!!! then read Jims post and had to yawn and laugh at the same time!

No I can not say that I yawn when excercising.

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Oh i do and had to fight to keep from yawning reading these posts.but yes i do yawn alot anymore, in fact i could lay down and take a nap right now but i won't because i have grandkids here today

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Nice to see you too Jim and everyone - I certainly know how to lay low unless I have a question don't I - my bad but I've just been totally out of the loop all year as I lost my cardiologist (we can't get along and are not on speaking terms any longer) so I've just been concentrating on other things I guess.

Anyways, y'all make me laugh and giggle too, not yawn!! LOL

I'll just yawn thru it - I think it was my schedule being messed up that was causing it. It seems to be a bit better now. I need to keep up the good work as I spent a fortune on the exbike. It's so pretty tho, hehe If you wanna see a pic of it, click here.

Ok, now everybody that needs to, finish up your juice and cookies because it's nap time...

Deedee

Comment

How funny -- I yawned 4 times while reading this!!
                  And it is not that late in Phoenix (9:20pm).

I yawn during exertion and after I eat a big meal (which I don't do often, I eat small meals). And of course when I am very tired.

Eileen
                  49 yrs. old
                  Diagnosed at 31.
                  Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                  First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                  Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                  Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                  My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                  2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Deedee,

I yawn when I take my walks. I never thought anything of it till you mentioned it. It always made me go faster so I could get home and take a nap.

Tigger1
                    " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ
                      Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                      So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                      Good luck and stay well.
                      Glen

Comment

I seem to yawn when I am in water aerobics. I mentioned this to Dr. Lever , and he didn't think that it had anything to do with my hocm.
                        septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Comment

When I first had my myectomy , I yawned a great deal and had many episodes of involuntary sighs. The sighs lasted about 2-3 months in decreasing amounts. The yawns occur at intervals around exercise and demand presently as you have mentioned. When I sighed , my family would tell me to stop it; as if I could control it.

I felt at the time that it was related to oxygen demand or need and my doctor agreed . My Pcp stated it is the bodies need for extra oxygen that results in the sigh or yawn phenomena.

Oh hum , I think I feel like a nap, yawn.

Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

hey, Jim...is that you in your avatar picture...doing what??
                            \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I think he 's digging up some buried treasure. Remember he is an archaeologist?
                              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X