If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zapped in sleep?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Donna Find out more about Donna
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zapped in sleep?

Hi, has anyone gotted zapped by their ICD in your sleep? I don't know if I did or not. I was having a dream about a bee in my hair and then it got into my ear. ( I hate bees) The next thing I knew, I was awaken by a strong body jerk. I don't know if it was a zap or if it was the fear of the bees. Do you have any ideas? I will find out when I get my ICD checked on the 20th of next month. It just made me think I anyone has been zapped in sleep and if you knew it or not.

Thanks for letting me ask such a strang question.
    Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Re: Zapped in sleep?

Hi Donna,
    When you have your ICD checked you’ll know for sure. I really don’t know how you can tell before then. If it fired, it probably saved your life (again?) I sometimes think they should be called Life Saving Devices – or LSD, - but I guess those initials have been used already.

If you search around the postings you might uncover some postings on dreams not too long ago. You can do all sorts of wonderful things with dreams. You can pick a subject to dream about before going to sleep, and then dream of that. You can ‘adjust’ a dream you don’t like down more pleasant paths. Heck, you can even have previews of coming attractions. It’s all a matter of mindset. If you don’t like bees, don’t dream about them – it’s as simple as that. Pleasant dreams dearheart,
    Burt

Comment

Donna,

I don't have an ICD so i can't approach that side of your question, but i can tell you that i get those strong body jerks in my sleep as well, especially when just falling asleep or when dreaming. I even asked a question on the board about it some time ago (i think i called the thread Wiring Problems or something like that) because it does feel at times as though i have received a strong electrical shock. The responses i received seemed to indicate that most people get those and it isn't anything to be concerned about. However, since this seems to have been an isolated incident for you, it will be interesting to see whether your ICD actually did fire in your sleep. Keep us posted!

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Burt, Thanks for the answer. I will try to get my dreams in order. I guess it just takes some time and thought to get them going the way we wish them to go. I will look at the old listings about dreams and see what I can find.

Jim, thanks for the information. Now that you said the thing about the jerking in that sleep when you fall, I have had that happen befor. I guess I am just a big jerk in my sleep. I think I will have to ask my family if that is true all the time . I should go and get my kids up and off to work. So have a great day.

I hope you all have a great 4th of July.
        Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Donna, I don't know but you can check out www.zaplife.org. There are probably people there who can help you. Remember that they don't necessarily have HCM, but they all have, or are affected by, ICD's.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

There is such a thing as a phantom zap. It is explained in great detail on the zaplife.org website.

Mary S.

Comment

I don't have an ICD, but as far as the body "jerk", I thing everyone gets them once in a while. I know my husband gets them and have seen my son "jerk" a few times. I've woken up like that also....it's like you know you are dreaming and then suddenly your entire body jerks like it has been electricuted! I'll have to ask my doctor what makes that happen...maybe it has to do with going into a deep REM sleep You'll find out for sure when you get it checked on the 20th
              \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

A few thoughts,

1. If you are uncomfortable with the possibility of an event, head to the EP and ask them to check it out ASAP.

2. If you are feeling OK - it is fine to wait until the 20th to have it checked out.

Best wishes,
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks to all of you that took the time to answer my questions.

Mary and Reenie, I tryed the zap site. I have to get the hang of getting around on it. But it seems to have a lot of good information on it. It took me a bit to get around our new site, but it just takes time.

Cynthia, now that I think of it I remember that our dog sometimes jerks in his sleep. I just though it was that rabbit he was after. I will find out soon about what happened.

Lisa, I am doing fine with the possibility of tha zap. I have had 2 before about a month apart the first year that I had the ICD. I have had it about 2 1/2 years now. I just thought I would ask and find out if you would even know if you got zapped in your sleep.

I will let you know on the 20th. Have a great holiday weekend.

Comment

Donna,

I got zapped this morning in my sleep. I was also dreaming and I'm sure I got shocked. I had 'phantom shocks' before that did not turn out to be true. I'm going to see my cardiologist tomorrow to get my ICD interrogated. I don't know if you were aware of the shock they gave you to test the ICD after the implant, it is exactly the same.

Eric

Comment

Eric, I was not aware of the shock when they put in the ICD. I will have it interrogated on Tuesday. I will let you know.

Was this your first shock? Did you know right away that this zap was different then the phantom shocks? why do people get phantom shocks? Do they even know?

It will be interesting to know what happened to both of us. Let me know what you find out. Have a great day.

Comment

Hi, I just got back from having my ICD checked I did not get a zap in my sleep. It must have been the dream about the bees that made me wake up like that. Boy do in feel silly. I guess it is a learning game for all of us. I just thought I would let you know.

Eric, what did you find out when you had your check up the other day?
                        I hope it was good news.

I did find out that my pacer is set at 30 and ICD is set to look at and record when I get to 188. I have to be at 188 for atleast 24 out of 32 beats befor it thinks of shocking me. I had a new tech. He was great and told me a lot about things no one eles had time to tell me or thought I should know. Just thought I would share some of my new information. They say to learn something new each day and I did today. Have a great day.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X