If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulmonary visit

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulmonary visit

Ok everyone just got home from the doctor and he is sending me to a hospital for some test on my lungs a test called a bubble echo never heard of it and a pulmonary function test, but seems to think all this is mainly from CHF and says he thinks i should be seen weekly in a heart failure center he wants me to talk to doctor gilligan about it, he says if i have anything wrong with my lungs it may be a tiny bit of emphazema he said i don't have asthma though he said he heard no wheezing he could tell i still had alot of fluid on me and he had never seen me before, he said he was going to talk to dr. gilligan for me and get the ball rolling sorta speak he thinks the hurting under my left rib maybe due to fluid around my liver . he asked if i have had an abnormal liver function since surgery and i said yes about 6 weeks after surgery, but it was fine a month later he says that's why i wake with nausea and headaches sometimes, i really liked this doctor he took time with me he says this is nothing to fool with and that we have to find out what is going on, but he thinks it's my CHF causing alot of my problems, I will lrt everyone know more when i know it

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Re: Pulmonary visit

Take good care of yourself Shirley. The next time I get to Va. Beach (the city of my birth) I'll try to be in touch.
    Peace,

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Best of luck to you

Comment

Shirley,

You are in my thoughts as always, my friend. Please take care of yourself, and update us frequently on how you are doing.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Dear Shirley,
          I don’t think I could ever get tired of you, but I am getting tired of all your problems (as if you aren’t.)

Please get well as quickly as possible – and stay that way. I want to hear about the way you’re having one great day after another, and how all your symptoms have disappeared.

I don’t understand it. You look so good in your picture – Hmmm.
          Your buddy - Burt

Comment

Shirley,

I am so glad you are getting someone to consider this seriously. I will pray that this doctor will really be able help you.

I may need the name of your pulmonologist myself, since the doctor I saw here found another granuloma in my lungs and wants it checked out. It is almost certainly nothing as I have had numbers of these for years without serious problems, but I think I can give that as an excuse to go to a pulmonologist. I would like to eliminate sarcoidosis as a cause for these. I am also very interested in your pain below your ribs. I told my GP about my pain under my lower ribs last year and he said that he would check it out after I had tests on my back, but we ran out of time. I had told him several years ago that I thought it was from either my liver or my pancreas, but actually he thought it was from my heart. At that time he found further abnormalities on my ekg so was satisfied that he was right. I have never been totally convinced since I had similar pain before they removed my gall bladder. So, maybe your doctor's explanation would tie the two together for me as well.

Thanks for sharing this.

Rhoda

Comment

Shirley, Good luck and I hope for a positive outcome.
              Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
              So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
              Good luck and stay well.
              Glen

Comment

Is Gilligan keeping his end of the deal and sending you up to Cleveland?
                Fx

Comment

Take care Shirley, and I hope you get some much needed answers. We'll be thinking of you. Let us know how the tests go.

Take care
                  Pam
                  It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Felix

he said get these test done and then i will fight for you to go to Cleveland, i'm trying now what the pulmonary doc wants me to do he said he thinks it's mainly CHF so he said to elavate my bed and do away with all but 2 pillows and see if that helps my breathing and he said he didn't want me out in all this heat and no walking he wants me use a exercise bike, so i'm getting one of those this weekend, I think Dr. Gilligan thinks it still has something to do with my lungs so i guess i go to the hospital for this bubble echo what ever that is

Shirley
                    Diagnosed 2003
                    Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Pam

Thank you for your response i hope so too, i just want to know what is causing the breathing problems and maybe i can deal with it better

Shirley
                      Diagnosed 2003
                      Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Shirley good luck to you and try not to let it get you down , hope there will be some answers that will offer help and relief for you. Pam
                        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Shirley I certainly can empathize with you , just read you post under Jim's "thank you." The breathing problems are a tough one indeed. I thought sunday was such a nice, low humid day and there should not have been any breathing problems and instead it was like breathing through a balloon for me . I sounded all scruffy and hoarse and was swollen and up all night and terrible abdominal pain. I think it was partly due to a party I put on for my son who recently graduated. As simple as I tried to keep it, it seems that what should be normal activity for most is apparently above and beyond for me .I hate most of all living differently or rather being forced to live differently then everyone else I know. I think since my myectomy I have been trying to deal with not getting back what I most wanted, TO BE LIKE MOST OF THE PEOPLE, I used to be like and who I still have in my life. By this I refer mostly to activity. I have always been a doer and it is hard to not do or accept these losses. I am however still hopeful. Maybe pathetic but the eternal optimist I shall continue to be. Hang in there you have company. Pam
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

THANK YOU PAM!!!!!!!!

I just got of the phone with the sleep study center and i had a heck of a time trying to get her to call the insurance company for approval on this sleep study i'm suposed to have, she kept telling me she could call an hour before i got there for approval, i said no you can't my insurance company requires a 2 day notice unless it is an Emergency, she got a very bad attidude with me and said she would call when she had the time so i said i wanted to talk to my doctor and she put him on the phone and we had a few words and then he said he was sorry and that it would be approved today, well i just got a call back from her (receptionist) and she said she called and it was approved that is all i wanted and i also told her i had things to do to prepare for this and she just talked right over me, and the doctor will find out about that too, i've worked in a doctors office and i know how busy it can get but i was nice until she started talking nasty to me and i don't take to well to that, i will get through all of it though again thank you for careing

Shirley
                            Diagnosed 2003
                            Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Good for you Shirley and you are very welcome. I think a sleep study will reveal some things for you and your doc. Especially I have been concerned as you need the oxygen at night. The forced air breathing machine if you end up with that dx can really make the difference. You might need O2 back-up hooked into the machine but not necessarily. So cross that bridge if and when. Whenever I feel that my O2 level is down , even during the day , I go lay down and hook up . It revives me for those periods I am totally spent. Sometimes at night it has so revived me that I then can not fall asleep after I would have just felt like I was going to lose consciousness. Who can figure? You must notice this with the O2 a bit also? I used to have an O2 sat ( pulse oximeter) machine but it belonged to the town rescue so they needed it back. It was nice as I could get a quick read on my O2 percentage. Certainly glad you got that ball rolling with re: to the sleep study. You did a good job even though his receptionist wanted to take the meandering path down the road and put you on the back burner. Boy what we have to go through sometimes we should run an advisory board for the general public on how to cut through the phone lines and get the picture sorted out and how to advocate for themselves. I THINK PEOPLE WOULD HIRE US!!! Well keep on Trudging Shirley , I'm right with you. Pam

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X