If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking alcohol and HCM...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

pikejord Find out more about pikejord
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drinking alcohol and HCM...

Hello Marlene,

My heart doctor told me that because of my medicine, I should drink no more than two beers a day. I use to be a big beer drinker. I asked about N/A beer. His words were "I don't know why you would want to drink that stuff, but you can have as much of that as you want." Now when I go some where I do drink N/A beer, but not to often. So mine was because of my pills and not the IHSS that I have.
    " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

This appears to be one of those topics where reasonable minds can differ. I did a quick search and actually found quite a good deal of variation in recommendations regarding HCM and alcohol. Some MDs prohibit any alcohol intake. Some feel that a minimal amount is o.k. Heavy usage (as in college binge drinking) is verboten. My M.D. has, so far, permitted minimal use, so I do have a few beers or glasses of wine per week which I carefully offset with water intake. (No, I do not drink masses a la dead marathon runners. Just enough to balance any dehydration that alcohol can create).

For JP, you need to be careful. First, put a call into your MD to seek advice before your appointment. Second, use sensible judgement (if you feel that you can do so in drinking situations). If you can't be responsible, take yourself out of those situations. The impacts of heavy alcohol use can be devastating. If your doctor o.k.'s moderate use AND you can remain in control, then you can participate in these social events w/ your peers (without ever binge drinking though).

As for the benefits of wine versus grape juice, I cannot vouch. However, there was some research back in 98/99/00 (can't remember exact) in the NEJM that showed moderate beer consumption did reduce strokes and/or heart attacks (again, I can't remember exactly). The wine industry paid for early research showing the benefits of wine. Subsequent research seems to show that many alcohols (not just grape-based) can have some health benefits.

Lastly, let's all remember (as with most HCM-related issues) that the relationship between alcohol and HCM has hardly been touched in published clinical research. From what I can tell, we know very little. What our MDs are going on are, for the most part, well-thought-out hypotheses. That's good enough for me most of the time but not good enough to make any final conclusions.

Edited for stupid error (sorry)

Comment

djs,

That was a very good post... well thought out and well-written.

The ideal situation for any HCM'er of course is to avoid alcohol entirely. Period. Alcohol in itself, regardless of quantity, has an arrhythmogenic effect on the heart and can have serious consequences. Whether you drink one glass of wine, or an entire bottle of Jack Daniels (as I have), the potential for doing damage to the heart is great.

The point of my own post, however poorly worded it might have been, was simply to say that if you are going to do it anyway, at least make sure you drink plenty of water so that you don't put the additional strain of dehydration on your heart.

Thanks,

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

DJS,

I agree on all points. Including the educated hypothesis (aka guess) assumption by MD's due to limited prior data. Thanks for an informative post.

Comment

OK.. I need a moment here....

I am amazed everyday at how far so many of you have come in sharing information, thoughts and cautions. This string is a prime example of QUALITY information, ENCOURAGEMENT, and caring.

You are really an amazing group of people.

My moment is over now...

resume normal posting - I have had my moment of pride...

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa,

You definetly sound like the HCMA "mom" (and I mean that in a good way). Glad we could give you a "moment" Of all the people here, you deserve one.

Comment

Yeh... I did kind of feel like the bragging mom but I think you will all forgive that

Later!
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X