If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart monitor for use while active?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Darren1 My real name is Darren, I have HCM and am a VERY active person that loves to exercise. Find out more about Darren1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cappy
    replied
    Re: Heart monitor for use while active?

The purpose of a heart monitor is to help one better workout. I used one religously when I was running 30-40 miles a week. Its a good judge of cardiac fitness and gauge whether or not you are overtraining or not.

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied

Darren, I might be reading this wrong, but I think it means that it's as accurate as an EKG, not that it does something like an EKG type of read. Have you asked your doctor if he can recommend one? Or contacted Polar? I'm just not sure.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied

The "super-duper" ones from Polar do monitor your heart rate in an "EKG accurate" manner. (EKG type electrical activity). Checkout the specs via google on the polar EKG monitors. Or at the following URL: http://www.pursuit-performance.com.a...lfeatures.html

Leave a comment:

• Cappy
    replied

Originally posted by Celtic
    Thanks! What is your experience with the monitors? Do they filter out "irregularities"? I've heard that some of them do (athletes don't want to see irregularities because they tend to be caused by interferrence).. I (obviously) would especially WANT to see any irregularities.
    They don't monitor irregularities, just your heart rate.

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied

Thanks! What is your experience with the monitors? Do they filter out "irregularities"? I've heard that some of them do (athletes don't want to see irregularities because they tend to be caused by interferrence).. I (obviously) would especially WANT to see any irregularities.

Leave a comment:

• Cynaburst
    replied

Cappy - I use a Polar with an ICD. I was told it was fine to use both by Medtronic.

Leave a comment:

• Cappy
    replied

I used to wear a Polar Protrainer XT when I ran. Once I got my ICD, I had to get rid of it, because of the interference issues.

Now I go chest strapless

This is the one I use now. Costs about 90 bucks.

Available at most Sporting Goods Stores. Prodcut name is Impulse

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied

Darren, I don't know of any such device. I would think that you would have to at least be able to read an EKG in order to interpret what you're seeing on the readout. I hope someone else answers your question better than I can.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied

This thread has been pretty quiet. I still would like to know if there is such a thing as a portable (or personal) halter monitor. One that a person can wear when they are active and later examine the information on a computer (a home PC/Mac perhaps?). This type of information would prove invaluable to me, I could then see exactly what my heart rate is doing over a period of time and during stress (ie running). As I hear often on this board, "information is power"...

Leave a comment:

• Millie Acosta
    replied

I take a look at it tonight and email the information this evening.

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied

Which model do you have? Can you make some recommendations? I'm going to talk with my doctor as well.

Leave a comment:

• Millie Acosta
    replied

My son Jeremy who is 11 years old with HCM has a Polar Pacer. He works out with a personal trainer once a week and we take him biking or shoot basketball hoops at the gym. It's worked very well for us. His EP gave us him HR limits and we programmed it accordingly. It helps him because he can monitor himself if he's getting too close to his limit. If it beeps, he knows he needs to slow down.

The one he has is also water resistent so he goes swimming with it. He knows he can do any physical activity without it. It's a smart gadget!

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied

Insurance... That's a good question. I've worn a halter on two occasions, so I guess they will. Unfortunately, I'd like to have more regular monitoring (weekly) and I don't know if insurance would cover that.

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied

won't your insurance cover the cost of wearing a holter from time to time?

Leave a comment:

• Darren1
    replied

Thanks all! Those are just the types of things I wanted to know. It'll be interesting to see if the "fancy" monitors actually tell me anything about the electric activity of my heart when I upload the data to my PC at the end of the day. Either way, feedback on my heart rate is good! -DB

Leave a comment:

Working...
X