If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about a Defib for home?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Darren1 My real name is Darren, I have HCM and am a VERY active person that loves to exercise. Find out more about Darren1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about a Defib for home?

Aside from implanted devices, would it be a good idea to have a dfib at home? Can "average" non-medical people buy/obtain them? Would insurance cover it? It would sure add ease of mind! Just a thought. I know the new defibs are automatic (just hold them on someones chest and they determine when/if to activate).

-D

Re: What about a Defib for home?

Hello Darren,
    That's a great question! I am not an expert on the rules of in home AED's, only a promoter for AED in the public. I recently heard of an article that encourages those with heart ailments to have an in-home device. I don't know where the article was published, but I'm sure with some digging, this info can be found somewhere on the internet.

Here is something to consider. An organization (Mom's Team - www.Momsteam.com) that has contacted my foundation (Anthony Bates Foundation - www.AnthonyBates.org) is in the initiation phase of the "2004 Safe Kids Campaign" that will promote AED's on all playing fields across the US. The cool thing about this is the donation of funds back to the Teams of Angels - www.TeamsofAngels.org. TOA are grassroots programs like ABF that will benefit from the purchase of these AED's.

The DefibTech products can be purchased through Mom's Team for a reasonable price of $1495. Then $200 of that money will be donated back to the Teams of Angels. Definitely a win-win for everyone.

Check out the links I have included. I hope that helps with your search for knowledge on this subject and we can start talking about this within the HCMA message board.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Bates

Comment

As far as I know, in order to get an insurance company to pick up part/all of the tab, you have to have a written prescription for one. I know that SheliRenee got one for her son Keanu that way. Other than that I don't know if you can get your hands on one for "household" use.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi All -

In order to get the AED for my little guy, I had to make a lot of telephone calls. I first called both of Keanu's insurance carriers and found out which, if either, would cover the cost of one. Then I called companies who carried AEDs. I had not only a prescription for an AED, I also had a letter of need (if that would be the correct phrase for that). If I remember correctly, it was last year that this was all taking place, none of the companies would deal with his insurance... not sure if it was because of his insurance or if that was a general policy of theirs. Anyway, I was told that I could pay for the AED up front and then have the insurance reimburse me. That would have been all well and fine if I had the almost $3,000.00 that it required at the time. I then had to make another bunch of telephone calls to find somebody who basically could "front" the money for the AED and bill the insurance company. I found a lady in a pharmacy who was able to do this. When the AED finally arrived this lady actually drove it out to my house and showed me how to use it. She registered in my son's name before bringing out and did not leave until she was sure that I was comfortable with how to use it. I had actually been showed how to use the device by a Philips rep at one of the heart screenings in Arizona set up by Sharon and Alan Bates last year, so it didn't take long to refresh. I feel much better carrying around the AED for my son. It goes everywhere that he does and one of my other children usually makes sure that we have it every time we leave the house. Even though I feel that having the AED gives me a better feeling that I will hopefully be able to help my son should the need arise, I will still feel better when he is big enough to have the ICD implanted.

Just a note - - - I love the AED we have. It's pretty "dummy-proof." The pads are placed in the appropriate places and the monitor does everything else. It actually tells me if he needs the shock or not. All I have to do is press a button if the shock is advised. It then orally goes through the steps of CPR if the heart ends up not picking up its own natural rhythm. Pretty nifty, if you ask me.

Anyway, hope this helps. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

SheliRenee
        Mom of Keanu
        4 years old (will be in March)
        Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
        Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
        Dx at 5 months with V-tach
        Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

SheliRenee, thanks for the input. I couldn't remember any details. Hopefully others can learn from your experience.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I could swear i just saw an ad on television for one of these not too long ago, and for a pretty cheap price. I'll have to look into it.
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Sharon,

You are awesome!! I'm checking into ordering one for my son and I now! (I hope to get the insurance to pay for it.. keep us in your prayers). Is there any information about how these divices do with young patients? My son is 4 years old.. will it still work for someone that small?

-D

Comment

Thanks to Shelli too! You both are great. I just hope the p.i.t.a. insurance folks will approve one.

-D

Comment

Hi Darren,
                  Defibtech is supposed to have pediatric pad available (if not already, soon) for children under 40 pounds. Otherwise, adult pads are appropriate.

I hope your insurance will pay for your defibrillator. If they say "no" keep after them...just like we have to do for everything else in our HCM world.

I'll pray a little harder for that!
                  Blessings,
                  Sharon

Comment

I would NOT recommend using adult pads in a pediatric situation. Defibrillators deliver an electrical shock which is rated in units called joules. Of course, pediatric units deliver a lower number of joules.

Philips medical was the first out with pads for ped's, but the other manufacturers have gotten on the band wagon now.

I would say that you would need to make certain you get one that is appropriate. A doctor familiar with then enough to write a prescription (required) should be able to address the issue. Although he may not be familiar with the workings of all the manufacturers, once you have his recommendation you should be free (and knowledgable enough) to get the right unit.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Allen Bates
                    AHA certified CPR/AED instructor

Comment

I saw the commercial that jim was referring to. The Web site is
                      http://www.heartstart.philips.com/heartstart/home.jsp

It says you would need a prescription for the device.
                      Fx

Comment

Felix and Sandy,
                        Good to see your focus is expanding again. Hope that’s a good sign that your world is starting to return to a more normal balance. We’re still all pulling for you guys.
                        Burt

Comment

Hi all,
                          I am sad to report that I am a very sick puppy. This is a very important and serious thread, and all I can think of is, “Shock it to me” therapy. I certainly hope all turns out to a very happy conclusion, but I have to go to my room now and fluff my walls.
                          Burt

Comment

yeah, a Heart-attack w/o a defib is an even more shocking experience...

Comment

Hey Felix,

Yes, that's the unit i saw advertised on television, only i thought it was much cheaper. I guess i only saw the 399.00 part and missed the 'five easy payments of' part. Blast that Ron Popeil!

Jim
                              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X