If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Cigarettes, Wine and HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ivan Find out more about Ivan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Cigarettes, Wine and HCM

I quit smoking not too long ago. Of course I know it was a wise decision I'd like to know if anyone ever smoked or smokes now and I'd also like to know how wine fits into the whole thing. I always hear mixed things about that.

Re: Smoking Cigarettes, Wine and HCM

Congratulations on quitting smoking! You probably did the best thing you could ever do for your heart and your general health. I think you will hear from people that wine can promote arrhythmias---at least in some people. My problem comes when I add wine (or other alcoholic beverage) to too much food, maybe some coffee and chocolate for dessert. Moderation is probably the key here! Sue

Comment

i don't need to explain why smoking is bad.

alcohol dehydrates a person and dehydration is very dangerous for HCMers as it lowers your bp (which was already probably normal-low to begin with) and puts a lot of pressure on the heart. if you must drink, you should have at least 2 glasses of plain, flat water for each glass of alcohol.

most of us avoid it altogher.

s

Comment

Some people tolorate alcohol well, even though it is causing dehydration. SOme people (like yours truely) do not tolorate it well at all - I get chest pain, palpitations, and turn WHITE as a ghost with a minimal amount of alcohol. I will admit - If I get very well hydrated, eat some extra salt and have one drink I do OK. Frankly it is too much work and risk for a drink!

I think the last time I had a drink was after last years meeting - my father-in-law had passed away the day before the meeting - the meeting was over, I have no idea how I made it through the day without going NUTS...and I had one drink....and it went straight to my head...but thats what I wanted at that moment....I also figured I had a room full of docs if I ran into trouble

In short - stay away from it.

lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I loved wine, but stopped it all together in Sept. 2002 and the PVC's I was having have almost disapeared. I still would like to have a glass or two but it's not worth it.

Ralph

Comment

I am a smoker. I have tried to quit several times over the years but never have "made" it. Right now I'm on the nicotine patch and have gone two weeks without. I really truly hope I can make it this time. I feel sooo much better and my symptoms( chest pain, sob, palpitations) have all decreased alot. I even got on the treadmill last night for 20 minutes! This is somthing that I was never able to do for longer than 10 minutes before without getting chest/arm pain and skipped beats. I also love wine, my husband and a friend make wine. They have a regular winery in the friends basement and make about 800 bottles a year of different red wines. Needless to say we have a supply of wine at our house always. After several years of testing I have found that I can drink one glass of wine with dinner a night if I sip it slowly, eat lightly and drink a glass of water before and after the wine without symptoms. If I am out and want more than one glass I just wait about 30 minutes between glass ( sipping on water) and then have another one. Two glasses is my limit unless I want to stay up half the night with chest pains and palpitations. This works for me but maybe not for others.

Comment

I have to honestly say, that the one thing I miss the MOST is being able to have Kahlua sombreros!! I have been on coumadin for almost 10 years now and know that drinking to much alcohol will interfer with the clotting. Although my former cardiologist used to say I could in moderation (ie.no more than 2 drinks at one time). But now with all this $#@# going on with a-fib, hopefully being controlled with the verapamil, I know that it's 2 strikes against me. It has been really bothering me lately. Not that I drank much in the past but I'm afraid to have one! Family get togethers, for example, Christmas time....everyone is having a great time, drinking socially and I so badly want to join in. It stinks.
              \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

CONGRADULATIONS!! Quitting Smoking is Soooooo hard to do! I stopped smoking 2 weeks prior to my Myectomy- 7 months ago. Best suggestion I can offer is : Zyban. Your Dr would probably be very happy to write the Script, for you. I was a huge Help for me. Also Mayo Clinic (where I had Myectomy) highly reccommends it. Regarding Drinking, I have 1-2 drinks a month & I don't have any problems, but everyone reacts differently. I also consume 0 Caffine (Dr. orders)
                If you crave a cigarette - send me an email- don't give in - the worst is past
                Ronnie
                RONNIE

Comment

Oh Cynthia , Now I'm Yearning for a kahlua sombrero too. Oh well wishfull thoughts! That too for me caused big problems . I passed out a lot with 1-2 drinks no matter what it was. My heart would pound so bad I felt like it would come out my chest. Haven't touched alcohol since 1994, long before I knew that I had HCM ,Just got scared as to what it made my heart do. My 2 cents. Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I can't handle alcohol at all! I get dehydrated quite easily. Doesn't take a lot of that to really get my hear rarin! The last drink I had was a mud slide into second base. I didn't even make it to first. I had about half of it and my heart rate went up to 160 and I felt very dizzy and light headed.

I have never had more than a couple of drinks since I was diagnosed at 21! Finally, get to drink and then another thing comes a long to prohibit me! That's what I get for being good and not drinking until I was supposed to!

Mary S.

Comment

I finally quit smoking in Nov 2003, mostly for my significant other, who threatened to leave me if I didn't. I was diagnosed with HCM five years ago, and I was under the impression that I was going to die whether I smoked or not, so I guess I had a death wish or something.

I drink occasionally, and it doesn't seem to do much but make me very sleepy! The bubbles in beer give me the worst tightening in my chest too, so if I have any drinks, it's usually one Cosmo.

I have found the biggest thing to bring on palpitations is a large meal, all at once. It's better if I have smaller meals throughout the day (slimfast, yogurt, etc.), and then I don't get so tired!

-just my 2 cents
                      Shelley
                      \"Well behaved women rarely make history...\"

Comment

OK folks, it’s the old man at it again.
                        I smoked for over thirty-two years, and the last number of years a carton would last only about four and a half days. At times it was so bad I would try to put a cigarette in my mouth to find one already there, and when I went to put it in the ashtray I found one burning there as well. That ever happen to you?

Anyway, I tried for years to quit. Once I thought I didn’t have to smoke while eating – ten weeks and forty pounds later I bought another carton. A few times I thought I could just cut down. That plan usually only lasted a couple of hours – and finally, I hit upon a method that did work for me.

I asked the question, “Who’s running my life, me or American Tobacco?” I quit cold and walked around for two days doubled over. I then took some note paper, rolled the sheets into different length cigarettes and stuffed them with cotton so I would have a ‘drag’. I’d start with the long one, and every few minutes I’d shift to a smaller one. After two days I was over the nicotine addiction and these ‘cigarettes’ helped me over the mechanical addiction. I used them for a month to six weeks. Then they became ‘a bother’ and I was cured. I still walked around after smokers trying to get a whiff of smoke, but I wouldn’t light up. From time to time I would get the urge to have a cigarette again, but I knew where that would lead. After a few years even that temptation ended.

I quit on January 1, 1982 – four and a half years before my first heart cath., and not a moment to soon. Quitting is a bear, but it is do-able.
                        Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X