If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctors!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors!

Have you just ever wanted to beat your medical records into your doctor until he got it right

I saw an orthopaedic for my knee today and if I could have ran after him I would have beaten him. I spent forty-five minutes filling out medical history. I highlighted my AICD implant and wrote down no MRI. My exam consisted of a fourth of that.

He looked at my knee for about ten seconds told me I had torn cartilage in my knee. He said to keep using it like normal and if it is still painful in three weeks come back. (I'm all for conservative treatment but the pain I've had the last three weeks. Let's just say I'm not a masochist either).

Anyhow the part that really made me want to say words that aren't G-rated was as he was walking out the door. " If you are still having the pain when you get back we'll do an MRI to get a better picture". This moron didn't even bother to look at my past medical history! AARRRGH!

Sorry for the rant but there are times I think the patient should be able to beat their doctor. I mean if we do it with our medical records we could just say they were learning by osmosis!

Thanks,
    Mary S.

Re: Doctors!

Mary, I feel your pain! I took my daughter to the doctor yesterday because she's really sick, high fever, cough, etc. I mentioned that her finger was broken last week and he was a lot more concerned with her broken finger than her apparent bronchitis! He did listen to her lungs, never told me how they sound, but he never even listened to her heart! You know, I didn't expect a lot out of him. This is the same doctor who couldn't/wouldn't learn the difference between HCM and DCM.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to top your story.

My PCP tried to sign me up for a 1 mile run last week.

I'm not kidding. I'll say it again, just in case you thought you mis-read that.

My-PCP-tried-to-sign-me-up-for-a-1(one)-mile-run-last-week.

I have no words.
      "We come into the world and take our chances, fate is just the weight of circumstances - that's the way the lady luck dances...roll the bones." - Rush

Comment

Oh My Gosh, DAVE. I have no words either!

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I have an internist, cardiologist, general surgeon, endocrinologist, nephrologist, pulmonologist, dermatologist, ophthalmologist, neurologist, and gastroenterologist through my HMO, plus a nurse practitioner who takes care of the drugs I can get through the VA.

Please, please do not settle for second stringers. Not only do they miss care you should have, they can mess you up to a fair-thee-well. You all obviously have access to computers and the ability to do all the research needed to be current on the treatment of your condition(s). If you think your physician is off base, talk to him about it. If you are not satisfied with his/her responses, for goodness sake, find a better doctor. You might have the lowest ranking student in the graduating class. They’re human and like us all, make silly mistakes, but if called on it, you’d be surprised how quickly most of them will straighten up and fly right.

Remember the final arbiter who decides what kind of treatment you get, - is you.

Comment

Over the past year I have definately learned that I am my own best advocate! I make a point to be an informed patient. I do all of the research I can. Medicine is my chosen field anyhow I'm a certified EMT and will soon be in nursing school in August.

I have noticed though that the good doctors love me as a patient because I add new insight and the not-so-good ones well I've been told I'm a pain in their gleuteus maximus! I once had a cardiologist blow me off when I offered him information. I informed him that he works for the patient and he might want to make time for them. Needless to say he is not my doctor anymore. Sometimes you have to really hunt for the right doctor.

As far as the running a mile wow that sounds like a cardiologist I had in Gainesville that told me I could do anything my heart desired because there was nothing wrong with me. I only had 4 of six risk factors for SCD. Some drs. really scare me.

Mary S.

Comment

I just reviewed my previous posting. Can’t believe what a goofball I am. I have been displaying and complaining of all the symptoms of HMC with the exception of arrhythmia – for over fifteen years. I was just diagnosed this month and have the situation finally addressed. I was complaining of a chronic shortness of breath so much so that I was being seen by a pulmonologist. You can check up on all the diagnoses that you are aware of, but sometimes the problem is really unknown to you. All you can do is keep pressing for your symptoms to be addressed, and hope someday you will find a doctor who can put the puzzle together. Then you can do the research and determine the best path to follow. Best advise – just keep plugging to get the proper diagnoses, treatment - and doctor.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X