If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General physical condition and HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

marvwaschke Find out more about marvwaschke
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General physical condition and HCM

Until a year ago I was an avid bicyclist. I was very careful to keep my pulse down, usually below 100, never above 120, and dismounting to walk up hill if necessary.

Then I was hit by a motorist paying more attention to a cell phone than traffic . The accident required surgery to patch me up, and I ended up with some major changes in my job, which resulted in more traveling and fewer opportunities to ride.

Consequently my general muscle tone has gone down, and my symptoms, which were well controlled before the accident, have returned.

Have others experienced the same thing? It seems reasonable that generally toned muscles will strain the inefficient HCM heart less.

~Marv

Re: General physical condition and HCM

That's a good question. I don't know the answer, though. I would think that you could be right, within reason. We do know that intense workouts and weight lifting are generally avoided with HCM.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Re: General physical condition and HCM

Marv,

I think so. I was an avid body builder since I was 18. Then when I was diagnosed with HOCM on age 25, the doctor told me to stop with body building. The last 5 years I lost most of the muscle mass and exchanged some of it for frence fries
      My symptoms got so bad the last 18 months that I had a myectomy 5 weeks ago.

I think that being in the best possible shape you can be with HCM is key, even though it's very hard. (but who am I telling).

Fred

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X