If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you


No announcement yet.

Moving to rural China with a HOCM?


About the Author


Ck1302 Find out more about Ck1302
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving to rural China with a HOCM?

    I was recently diagnosed with a HOCM about 3 weeks before I was due to move to China. My cardiologist has said the main issue is that if anything were to go wrong he has no idea about the awareness and treatment of HOCMs over there and therefore wouldn't recommend it, was just wondering if anyone might have any info on cardiovascular centres in China or about living in rural locations and ways around it

  • #2
    Hello CK,
    It is certainly important to find where resources might be if moving to a new location....especially a foreign country. But if it is a move that you sincerely want to make, then HCM doesn't need to stop you. Personally I am not at all familiar with the medical system in China. However, I would think a large University Medical Center would have familiarity with HCM. If you establish a treatment plan at a Knowledgeable Medical Center, you could take that treatment plan with you out into the country and consult back as needed. You may want to call the HCMA office and see if they have any places they might know of in China.
    I just did a quick google and found a lot of cardiac symposiums and cooperative efforts with USA Heart Specialists such as this :
    "At the invitation of one of China’s largest and most sophisticated heart programs — the Guangdong Cardiovascular Institute of Guangdong General Hospital — Cleveland Clinic cardiovascular specialists have been sharing information on a variety of topics related to patient care and experience" and Cleveland Clinic has an HCM center of Excellence.
    So maybe find out the names of medical centers near where you are moving.
    Last edited by JillC; 10-30-2018, 02:49 AM.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani


    Today's Birthdays