If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle trip

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bill Find out more about Bill
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle trip

Just back from a meandering 17-day, 4,000-mile motorcycle trip from Tampa to Milwaukee for Harley Davidson's 100th birthday celebration. My HCM acted up a bit in Gatlinburg, Tenn. so I rested in the motel room while the other members of the group wandered around. Other than that and some fatigue I had no problems. I almost didn't go because I've been having trouble since february getting my meds properly adjusted. Motorcycling is the perfect HCM activity -- you can do it sitting down!

Bill

Re: Motorcycle trip

Dear Bill,

I certainly hope your only symptoms were fatigue and not dizziness and lightheadedness. I'm also glad to hear that you endorse riding as the perfect HCM activity. As the proud owner of a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic (I know... It's not a Harley!), riding is something that I was hoping my son could enjoy when he is of age. By the way, how was the HD Celebration?

Take care,

Bert

Comment

Bill, I'm going to Wisconsin this wkend for another celebration - my niece's wedding! I know, it's not quite the same, but I'm excited. Who knows, maybe the happy couple will depart for the honeymoon on a Harley. She grounded him for a while when he wrecked the last time, but she's prob given the keys back by now. Linda

Comment

Bert, the celebration was great fun and everybody had a wonderful time, although Elton John was probably not the best choice of entertainment for a biker crowd, which likes a harder edge to the rock 'n roll. Nope, I don't have many symptoms like light-headedness or dizzyness. Lately its been more fatigue than anything, a result of a med increase which I recently talked the doc into cutting (20mg Indiral twice a day now instead of 80mg LA). So riding the bike isn't a problem except for keeping the rubber side down when I'm tired

Linda, Wisconsin is becoming one of our favorite states. Beautiful riding country. We stayed in a nice restored hotel in Cedarburg north of Milwaukee and we'd go back in a heartbeat. Have a great time!

Bill

Comment

dear bill that must have been great . this might sound strange but since my diagnosis or about 1 mos. after coming home from the hospital I began to ride I have an old honda cb750. I have been riding about 30 miles a day to work and back I love it I feel better on the bike I can breath better and dont feel like an invalid. I bought a heart monitor and watched my heart rate go down while riding,I know everyone is different but riding for me relieves stress. I cant always ride and a few times my wife had to pick me up with the car from work because I didnt feel good but Im SO GRATEFUL that I can ride, take care mike ob
          One day at a time.

Comment

Bill,

Sounds like you had a blast... (mostly). I agree that motorcycling is a great activity for HCM.

I, myself, am an avid dirt biker and ride a Honda XR250. My husband rides, my daughter rides, and lots of people in our family ride. Have been on a bike since I was 5, and am not about to give it up. Just rode the Rainbow Trail (Colorado) on Labor Day Weekend.

Do notice the lack of stamina in the rough stuff, but otherwise, I do alright.
            I, also, am so grateful to be able to still ride.

Take care,

Debbie

Comment

Oh , How I remember the joy,
              In 1972 I had my motorcycle permit . I enjoyed riding and my older brother was genreous to let me drive his 350 Honda. My mother would cringe as I would leave. On Memorial day that year I went for a ride while I waited for the cookout. Not too long after leaving the yard ,I was cut off by a huge turquoice colored chevy. I totaled the honda and was lucky to get out with only burns, bad bruises, broken carlilage and lots of cuts and gashes. I was scared to ever ride or even be a passenger again. BUT, Oh I remember, they were great times before that day.
              Enjoy and be carefull.
              Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

debbie I also drove an xr100 as a teen.I feel a sense of freedom when riding. I remember a few close calls (accidents) in my early 20s but now Im pretty careful.My bike being ancient helps a great deal, top speed is 65mph.I dont know how I will do once the weather changes because I look forward to riding back and forth from work.I will probably be ok until 1st week of nov.but I will wait and see. I would love to take a trip like bill but I dont see it happening any time soon. my wife is expecting she is 8 1/2 mos pregnant.Im looking forward to it but Im also somewhat anxious. I hope I will rise to the occasion my son is 9 yrs old so its been a while since Ive had to get up and make a botte or change a diaper.I guess I will take it one day at a time and thank God for my blessings. I hope everyone who readsthisis feeling well and having a great day mike ob
                One day at a time.

Comment

Wow, Mike, it sounds like you have a little more on your mind than motorcycle riding.

I'm sure you will do fine once your little bundle of joy arrives... they have a tendency to do that to us. You may have to retrain yourself a little, but it's probably like riding a bike!

Let us know when the big day happens so we can celebrate with you.

Debbie

Comment

thanks Debbie I will be sure to post when the baby is born thanks and have a great night God bless mike ob
                    One day at a time.

Comment

Mike - good luck with the baby! Let us know when he/she makes his/her enterence!

Take care!
                      Lisa
                      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                      Currently not obstructed
                      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X